Lately, this is how I've felt.

I don't feel like doing much at all.  I feel the same going out, or just staying in and staring at the wall.  I've been able to function, but it's not benefiting me much, maybe helping me sleep is all.

Years ago when I got depressed I would cry sometimes without reason, but that hasn't happened.

What should I do?  because of this I just don't feel like getting out of bed some days and sleep too long...I'm just not that interested in much lately. Just thinking out loud I guess...

I can't really figure it out, is a side effect of the medication, or this a new depressed me?   

Edited by BrianOCD

That's how my depression feels a lot.  My theory is that after being so anxious for a long period of time, my brain just can't handle that state for any longer and "chooses" numbness. It is not really better but a relief from anxiety. 

The only thing I know to do during those times is to push myself to do the next thing even if it feels impossible.  Get up, get dressed, empty the dishwasher, exercise. It is so hard to do!  But then I have always entered a different feeling state, many times a happier, hopeful state. 

Anyway, know that you're not alone! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, amskray said:

That's how my depression feels a lot.  My theory is that after being so anxious for a long period of time, my brain just can't handle that state for any longer and "chooses" numbness. It is not really better but a relief from anxiety. 

Thanks!

And that's how it is for me.  Typically anxiety stress, followed by depression.  I went through 3 months of chronic anxiety and stress this year...I just don't get why I get depressed, and why some people are able to take it and move on ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianOCD said:

I just don't get why I get depressed, and why some people are able to take it and move on ....

I don't either!  I guess if we figure that out then we'll be famous! ;)

@BrianOCD @amskray I feel the exact same way most days...the meds help keep me from going off the deep end (usually) but I am still left with this horrible apathetic depression that never lifts. Only thing I can do is force myself to get up, try to put a time limit on my negative ruminations & worries..and stick with my routine (shower, get dressed, clean out dishwasher, cook & eat something decent, try to interact with someone each day, go for a walk outside).

Sticking to a routine that puts you into some sort of tiny action can help you avoid a massive trainwreck. Depression & anxiety are due to so many complex factors: genes, environment, upbringing, current situation, stress factors, etc. I know now that my brain and neurons are deeply engrained in these patterns and these patterns take a lot of time and work to get shifted! Remind yourself that you have felt better in the past, and things can change, I hope things get a little better for you soon!

• Like 1

Ya a routine helps for sure...

Thanks, I'm hoping I get better too.  

I just feel like I'm dragging through the days now...work, sleep, exercise rinse and repeat...Not much excitement or joy going on..

Thanks, unfortunately my mood has gotten a bit worse.  I slept all day today.

First day I've just cried in years too...so I know now it's a depression setting in, and I'm worried.

I felt great yesterday, and horrible today, so might just be a temporary mood swinging....

Edited by BrianOCD

When I'm feeling like shite I have a depression survival guide. Things to do to make me feel physically good. Things like have a shower, doing yoga or just watching that film I've held back on for a time like this. 

It's harder when you're depressed all the time but it might help to have something like that.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 4:28 AM, Southern Discomfort said:

When I'm feeling like shite I have a depression survival guide. Things to do to make me feel physically good. Things like have a shower, doing yoga or just watching that film I've held back on for a time like this. 

It's harder when you're depressed all the time but it might help to have something like that.

I also have things I try to do.

But sometimes when I feel it coming, it's hard to do.  I find myself struggling uphill more and more, every day that goes by....I also get even more nervous when I find that my one or two last refuge isn't working either to make me feel better.  I've been there before, especially if I'm experiencing Anhedonia. 

I'm not quite there yet thanks to the meds.  Without the meds I wouldnt be here. 

• Like 1