Careers idea for people with MI ?

I am thinking about going back into the work place eventually. However I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. I think I would be good in IT however I want a career where I can work from home. Honestly even with a lot of keywords I can't find a web site covering jobs that need college degrees where you work from home.

I think, long term, that will be the situation that keeps me healthy. Does anyone have any idea what kind of careers I should be looking at where I could work from home entirely. If there are any ?

I could also work in a small environment I think. Something where I have a small office of my own or very few cubicles around me. Basically where I am not in high traffic locations with a lot of people.

I'm really not 100% sure of exactly what I would do if I could pick anything. Maybe something where I'm doing extensiive research for online businesses and guiding them on which online markets they should be entering in. Other than that (which is very vague) I think I will be focusing my choice on jobs that are good for people with MI issues .. 

Does anyone have any articles that discuss this ? Or any ideas on where I should start doing research ? 

Graphic design is one I have thought of - as if I was good at it, I would absolutely love it and come up with amazing layouts. However I am not good with "art" projects. The concepts of the layout I would be great at but there isn't a job for people to "layout" the website. There are jobs for the people who do the layouts AND build them. Which I would not be good at. 

I've also thought about a programming language like PHP - But my memory is so horrible I honestly don't "think" I could retain the knowledge. I could be wrong but I wouldn't want to take a course on something that I know I couldn't retain. I have tried to read books on PHP development and I get confused and lost very easily. Again, this is something I think I would love doing. Love Love Love ... But I just don't think I'm capable of it due to memory issues.

I have three part time jobs. One is that I run my own business. I do that from home. The other, that I've been doing for over a decade, is that I work for a couple of labour companies providing casual semi-skilled labour. You start out doing unskilled labour and then develop a proficiency in one area. You become more skilled at it. Then you can start teaching other people what you've become skilled at.

My third job is based out of an office, so I'm not sure that you'd want that.

However, I will say that it's difficult to work from home because you are dependent on yourself to have a routine. I would say that it's harder, in some ways, to have MI and to work from home. There is is less accountability and more opportunity to run into trouble (for instance, I tend to drink if I'm alone at home for too long). Which is why I have to work at places where I need to physically show up, every now and again.

I work at a very small nonprofit (10 employees). I have my own office, and I spend most of my day in it working from my computer. Maybe you just need a smaller place? Nonprofits are also more likely to be accepting of MIs and understanding when you need to take off. Plus, you get to have good feelings when you do good work, because you're helping people! Most nonprofits can't afford to have a full-time IT person and often outsource that position. Maybe you could be an independent consultant? Then you get to set your own hours, at least.

The best place to start for finding a nonprofit job is www.idealist.com.

Edited by heilmania
added something.
  • Like 1

There's 24 people in open cubicles in the office where I work, and I don't seem to see or speak to 3/4 of them 90% of the time. It has just worked out that way. In my cubicle I have one other person, and we get along extremely well. Some days it's a relief to go into work because then I have someone to talk to. I could do exactly the same job I'm doing from home, but I honestly think it would be much harder for me, being in the same environment all the time. If you'd like to know more about my job, feel free to message me.

When I started feeling better after being on disability for a few years I started working as a substitute teachers aide. The work day is less than 4 hours and you only have take jobs if you want to. This way I only take jobs when I am feeling well.

i find that I don't have to talk to the teacher very often and the kids are often fun.

this may be a way to test out the idea of working.

• Like 1

I'm an engineer. I work for a small company in an open office layout surrounded by my colleagues. 

I think the most important thing is that the job is something you enjoy. Life is hard enough without dreading work. Remember that most of us spend more time with our colleagues than our families. Figure out what excites you, what turns you on, and figure out how to do that.

The next most important thing is structure. For me that means not working at home. I need the structure, routine and forced interaction that comes from working at an office. Even the open layout is probably better for me than having a private office because I'm likely to hole up alone and not interact with people, given the option. Isolating like that just makes my MI worse though. Not to say I'm particularly close to any of my coworkers, but there's something about having people to shoot the shit with before a holiday or after a weekend.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Lots of good advice here!

Just wondered how you were getting on with working toward a new job that suits your needs? From what you said it sounds like there will be quite a few options out there.

I currently work from home, whilst also studying from home and trying to get well enough so I can do part/full-time paid work out in the world that will get me relevant experience to have alongside my degree.  The paid work from home I currently do is, I'll be honest, very menial and repetitive, and low paid (transcription work of pre- and post-edit interviews for TV production companies). I mean, it suits me brilliantly right now, I don't really mind it, but it's definitely not for everyone!!! But there will almost definitely be decently paid work from home jobs in the area you are thinking about.

You know what would suit you best, but I think if you can get yourself working in a low-key work environment with some social interaction it's possible that this might be best for your overall health in the long-run.  I know how stressful it can be if you're in a bad work environment, though, even if you are well, and there are no shortages of them!

Edited by theredthread

I have an IT diploma (Computer Engineering Technician) and the jobs really suck. My mother had always kind of hint to get into skilled trades.

I found a program that taught pretty much everything I've done at the jobs I'd had. And more. It's really neat when you first start. The program was held at a CWB test centre, (CWB Welder's Qualifcations are for structural welding, not pipe, and such. But most jobs in my area just require CWB, if at all) I have 2 qualifications.. I had a job the week the course ended, paying $19/hr (min wage is 11.40 until Jan here) It's a dirty job, you have to be covered up at all times because the arc can give you sunburn.

I found it awesome that my parts were going to be part of a building,and I passed a test that qualified me to do so. It pays well, you don't have to interact with many people, most of the time youre in your "bay" alone, no customers is awesome..

Also, if you apply for a welding job, i you lie on your resume, its not like most jobs. After the interview, they hand you a blueprint with welding symbols and you must weld that. 

• 11 months later...
42 minutes ago, Antecedent said:

my job lets me work part time and my hours are somewhat flexible, I can only do jobs like this nowadays

That's great that you like your job and have flexibility. What do you do? Always curious, trying to figure the job thing out myself!

• Like 2