CrazyBoards.org

Tolerance issues

I was very briefly on Wellbutrin because it made me batshit crazy in a climbing-the-walls-while-having-severe-rage-and-panic-attacks crazy way that was a little scary and not something I would like to have a repeat performance of.  What I am wondering is if Cymbalta or Strattera could cause the same side-effects, since they all work on norepinephrine (sp?).  I thought perhaps the Wellbutrin hits the norep. receptors differently than Cymbalta or Strattera does? 

Would love to know if anyone's had success with Cymbalta or Strattera after having experienced similar problems on Wellbutrin, or if anyone can say whether or not these three meds could cause the same nutso (possibly manic) side-effects.

Thanks.

wellbutrin also hits dopamine, mostly hits dopamine. 

i've known several people who panicked, sweated profusley, wanted to murder, etc. on wellbutrin who did just fine on cymbalta (and effexor, which is like cymbalta.)

i don't know anything about strattera as compared to wellbutrin, but a poor reaction to wellbutrin isn't at all necessarily a predictor of a poor reaction to cymbalta.

wellbutrin also hits dopamine, mostly hits dopamine.
That really bites because I could use a good dopamine hit right about now.  I have absolutely no motivation whatsoever.

i don't know anything about strattera as compared to wellbutrin, but a poor reaction to wellbutrin isn't at all necessarily a predictor of a poor reaction to cymbalta.

Glad to hear it.  Thanks.

Yep, Strattera is an ADD drug, but it's also an off-label AD.  Wouldn't it be great to squash two disorders with one drug?  I think it would, though I'm probably being overly optimistic, and that's why I'm considering it for my arsenal.

I did stop the Wellbutrin after a few hellish days at the starter dose.  I wasn't exagerrating when I said I had severe rage/panic attacks.  I would've ended up in the ER if I hadn't come down so quickly after stopping it.  Worst side-effects ever.  Scary brain-fucking bad.

i've taken wellbutrin and now i'm on strattera.  i don't know the details of why, but i've heard wellbutrin can be bad for anxiety.  when i was prescribed strattera i heard it could help anxiety.  and both of those things ended up true-- wellbutrin gave me panic attacks, and strattera has calmed my anxiety.  it has done shit for my adhd, sorry to say.  i've been told by my therapist when it comes down to it strattera really doesn't work for adhd the way it's hyped.  but it is different depending on the person i suppose.  i just know it doesn't cut it for my adhd.

good luck.

I was on Wellbutrin for several months.  I sweated like crazy, always had a dry mouth, had nightmares and was shaky.  So I switched to Cymbalta and have done much better.  The problem with Cymbalta, though, is that it can turn you into a Zombie.  No motivation.  I couldn't get off of the couch or keep my eyes open!  But the Cymbalta works so well for my nerve pain that I didn't want to stop it.  The doctor added a small dose of Ritalin last month and now I feel more balanced again.

• 2 months later...

I was very briefly on Wellbutrin because it made me batshit crazy in a climbing-the-walls-while-having-severe-rage-and-panic-attacks crazy way that was a little scary and not something I would like to have a repeat performance of.  What I am wondering is if Cymbalta or Strattera could cause the same side-effects, since they all work on norepinephrine (sp?).  I thought perhaps the Wellbutrin hits the norep. receptors differently than Cymbalta or Strattera does? 

Would love to know if anyone's had success with Cymbalta or Strattera after having experienced similar problems on Wellbutrin, or if anyone can say whether or not these three meds could cause the same nutso (possibly manic) side-effects.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wellbutrin made me homocidal, but I've responded well to Cymbalta.  Haven't tried Strattera.  Frankly, I think it's the dopamine, not the norepinephrine, that caused problems for me on the Wellbutrin, because norepinephrine-active drugs usually work OK for me.

Min

WB is more of an upper thats why it may cause worse anxiety.  My biggest issue is anxiety and the WB doesn't effect me.  I'm on 300mg and I'm about 110lbs.  ;)

Strattera is used instead of the other add drugs b/c its suppose to not be addicting.  So its definitely made up of different compounds. 

Archived