So With the wonderful combination of depression, anxiety, and adhd.........

what do you find more calming.

I feel very calm on adderall but a different calm then a benzo, but IF, IF more anxiety comes on, your screwed, and the anxiety goes through the roof, but i function better on adderall.....

On benzos i am definitely not as clear, but i obviously have no anxiety usually........or way less than when it hits on adderall

Problem is you never know whats coming, and if you take the adderall, your kinda screwed..........

any opinions on what works best for you???

or any luck with ssri/snri and treating anxiety

BTW IMHO buspar is a placebo

Personally, the only benzo that caused cognitive problems with me was Klonopin. I currently take Serax with no problems at all. It's so innocuous that the anxiety is gone without me even knowing it, unlike Xanax which smacks you in the face.

I definitely feel calmer on Adderall and Dexedrine myself quite consistently. My pdoc said that's common in people who have true ADHD, where as people without ADHD would normally become stimulated and anxious, but that isn't to say that people with ADHD can't or won't become stimulated/anxious with stimulants though.

As for SSRIs and SNRIs for treating anxiety, I liked the SSRI Zoloft quite a lot while it worked (pooped out probably because I'm bipolar) but it has worked tremendous benefits for one of my best friends, @THE_REAL_Bryan; however, it can be a little stimulating for some people which can exacerbate anxiety for some at first, but if you can make it through the start up effects, it's well worth it IMO. I'm currently on Prozac and I like it quite a lot. It helps me with my OCD and anxiety quite a lot, and I'm taking it at the max dose. I do still have breakthrough anxiety and panic attacks, but that is remedied by Serax, sometimes in tandem with Haldol or Stelazine. My pdoc and I have discussed going above the max dose, but I'm not sure she really wants to do that. But Prozac, too, can be rather stimulating, so, like Zoloft, it can be a little tough for those who have a lot of anxiety in the beginning of taking it. This can be mitigated by starting low and going slow (12.5-25 mg Zoloft or 10 mg Prozac). Otherwise, Paxil, Celexa, and Lexapro are pretty good options for anxiety but beware of Paxil because it has a nasty discontinuation syndrome, not unlike Effexor does. As for SNRIs, I really liked Cymbalta a lot. It helped my depression, anxiety, and OCD quite a lot, but did poop out after about 4-5 months, and needed a higher dose than the target dose. Effexor XR, if you are one of the lucky ones who can tolerate it, can be very beneficial for anxiety and depression, but from my experience and my friend's experience, it poops out rather quickly. In fact, I was having to increase the dose every week it pooped out so fast. But don't let my experience dissuade you from trying anything.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is also good for anxiety, but I don't know how well it would mix with a stimulant.

Edited by mikl_pls

3 hours ago, Iceberg said:

I just take klonipin over the adderall if i need it

i was told i couldnt do that

3 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Personally, the only benzo that caused cognitive problems with me was Klonopin. I currently take Serax with no problems at all. It's so innocuous that the anxiety is gone without me even knowing it, unlike Xanax which smacks you in the face.

I definitely feel calmer on Adderall and Dexedrine myself quite consistently. My pdoc said that's common in people who have true ADHD, where as people without ADHD would normally become stimulated and anxious, but that isn't to say that people with ADHD can't or won't become stimulated/anxious with stimulants though.

As for SSRIs and SNRIs for treating anxiety, I liked the SSRI Zoloft quite a lot while it worked (pooped out probably because I'm bipolar) but it has worked tremendous benefits for one of my best friends, @THE_REAL_Bryan; however, it can be a little stimulating for some people which can exacerbate anxiety for some at first, but if you can make it through the start up effects, it's well worth it IMO. I'm currently on Prozac and I like it quite a lot. It helps me with my OCD and anxiety quite a lot, and I'm taking it at the max dose. I do still have breakthrough anxiety and panic attacks, but that is remedied by Serax, sometimes in tandem with Haldol or Stelazine. My pdoc and I have discussed going above the max dose, but I'm not sure she really wants to do that. But Prozac, too, can be rather stimulating, so, like Zoloft, it can be a little tough for those who have a lot of anxiety in the beginning of taking it. This can be mitigated by starting low and going slow (12.5-25 mg Zoloft or 10 mg Prozac). Otherwise, Paxil, Celexa, and Lexapro are pretty good options for anxiety but beware of Paxil because it has a nasty discontinuation syndrome, not unlike Effexor does. As for SNRIs, I really liked Cymbalta a lot. It helped my depression, anxiety, and OCD quite a lot, but did poop out after about 4-5 months, and needed a higher dose than the target dose. Effexor XR, if you are one of the lucky ones who can tolerate it, can be very beneficial for anxiety and depression, but from my experience and my friend's experience, it poops out rather quickly. In fact, I was having to increase the dose every week it pooped out so fast. But don't let my experience dissuade you from trying anything.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is also good for anxiety, but I don't know how well it would mix with a stimulant.

do u get break through anxiety withe the stim

3 hours ago, looking for answers said:

do u get break through anxiety withe the stim

Very, very, very rarely anymore. I used to get anxiety all the time, but it was probably because I was only on Wellbutrin and a bunch of other stimulating meds like Adderall and Nuvigil. But since I got on serotonergic drugs and quit the Wellbutrin, my anxiety has slowly but surely decreased over the years, but at the cost of slightly blunted affect. Cymbalta didn't have that problem as bad though, nor did Effexor (but it did keep pooping out after days of adjusting the dose, so that and side effects associated with it kept me from continuing it...).

But now, like I said, I very rarely get breakthrough anxiety, and when I do, it's usually situational, and only on rare occasions do I have random panic attacks out of the blue. Serax does a good job of keeping that at bay though, although I am pretty benzo resistant so it's tempting to take more than the max recommended dose at one, which my pdoc got onto me about.

But for the most part, honestly, I think the stimulant takes care of a lot of my anxiety, also the Prozac and Geodon.

good replies guys thanks 

8 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Interesting that you can't use benzos with the stim...I mean, I get it but still, it seems like it opens you up to issues if adderall doesn't cover everything 

i was told that combo of uppers and downs is very bad. and. that they would just cancel eachother out so in trying to decide which i'd rather take.,

3 hours ago, looking for answers said:

good replies guys thanks 

i was told that combo of uppers and downs is very bad. and. that they would just cancel eachother out so in trying to decide which i'd rather take.,

My pdoc has told me the same thing. She said it's hard on your heart because the stimulants make your heart rate go up and the benzos make your heart rate go down, so your heart is getting mixed signals.

10 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

strangely my heart rate does not change on stims stays nice and low

Mine doesn't on Dexedrine Spansules or Desoxyn, but if I take Dexedrine IR, Vyvanse, or any form of Adderall, it definitely increases.

I've gotten used to heart effects. I can take 60 mg of adderall and an hour later give readings of 120/80 with a heart rate in the 70's. Wellbutrin  raises my heart rate more than amphetamine. Benzos don't lower rate or pressure much, though anxiety is low. I've always taken benzos with amphetamines, but not to treat any amphetamine side effects.

• Like 1

I consider my doctor to be fairly unsophisticated because she won't prescribe adderall with klonopin. I've met a lot of people on ADHD meds and virtually all of them have a prescription for a benzo. I understand it looks bad "on paper," but sometimes it's the best option and you have to make difficult choices for patients who aren't responding to anything else. Adderall actually reduces my anxiety.