i've been on zyprexa for 4 months now and i have gained 13 pounds, for me it wasnt a big deal since i was severely underweight but now im scared of gaining more since i dont want to stop being skinny, i felt like the hunger was really bad for the first two months but know im not so hungry but still very scared of gaining weight, does the weight gain ever stop? should i tell my doctor about it and get a med change? weight is turning into a huge issue for me and causing lots of anxiety and even some food restriction but i feel as if my doctor would not change it since im still a little underweirght and therefore no real reason exists to switch meds.

(i have never struggled with an eating disorder i was just naturally really skinny)

Excuse me for prying, but do you take 25 mg of zyprexa every day?

Try zyprexa zydis if you can convince the doctor to do that. I think it works better and I don't get the insatiable hunger with it, but I probably do eat more than I would without it. I am able to control my weight by exercising daily if I am taking my meds. I do gain some on it but not the endless gain.

I cannot say enough for the zydis tablets. I love them. It's my miracle drug.

Edited by paintedsky
  • Like 2

You've gained only 13 lb in 4 months?! That's pretty amazing for Zyprexa! I gained that much weight in the first few weeks I took it!

I second Zyprexa Zydis. I never got to try it because when my pdoc wrote the prescription for it, my pharmacy said they were unable to get it and just gave me regular Zyprexa. But my pdoc did say that Zyprexa Zydis does tend to mitigate some of the weight gain issues.

Otherwise, if weight gain is still an issue, and you're not absolutely attached to Zyprexa, it might be in your best interest to find a more weight-neutral and metabolically friendly antipsychotic.

On 1/8/2017 at 1:01 AM, paintedsky said:

Excuse me for prying, but do you take 25 mg of zyprexa every day?

my mistake im on 15mg and for most of the time i took the zydis but the last few months i couldnt afford it anymore my insurance wll only cover generic olanzapine ill see what i can do.

7 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

Otherwise, if weight gain is still an issue, and you're not absolutely attached to Zyprexa, it might be in your best interest to find a more weight-neutral and metabolically friendly antipsychotic.

thats the problem zyprexa has been amazing at controling my symptoms i think i can take another 10 pounds if i keep gaining more ill try to change the meds

51 minutes ago, Angerr said:

i took the zydis but the last few months i couldnt afford it anymore my insurance wll only cover generic olanzapine ill see what i can do.

I thought zydis was generic, or is it not? f('.' )

On 8/2/2017 at 11:04 AM, mikl_pls said:

I thought zydis was generic, or is it not? f('.' )

I think it isnt, the generic is called onalzapine not zyprexa and (at least in my country) zyprexa zydis is more expensive than normal zyprexa which is a lot more expensive than generic olanzapine.