Is it wrong to go to more than one Church?!

I'm just checking with you guys. I go to one church in the morning and another one in the afternoon. Both Christian churches of course.

Is there something wrong with that because I heard it's looked down upon?!

Why would that be a bad thing?

It's unusual but I can't see how it would be harmful or looked down upon. I've had friends move churches but remain in a bible study connected to their old church.

Is it important to you to be very involved in a church? If you were volunteering etc in two churches that would be pretty exhausting.

From a personal spiritual perspective, how you interface with the Divine is no one's business but your own. For Christians, the Bible is quite clear: "Seek ye the Lord where he may be found; call upon him while he is near." - Isaiah 55:6

The difficulty you may encounter, however, will not be with God, but with the members of the congregations, particularly if the two churches you are participating in represent different denominations that have irreconcilable dogma. For instance, if you attend a Baptist church in the morning and a Methodist church in the evening, you may find that congregants will expect you to adhere to belief one way or the other upon whether your baptism is legitimate if you were, or were not, fully immersed in water.

The main reason that multiple denominations of Christianity exist, rather than a unified Church, is that there are points of vigorous disagreement about matters of faith, and these (de facto) do not respond to rational debate. Social structures then develop to support these points of view, gain leaders and adherents, and thus form churches. As a result, a person wishing to join a given church therefore makes certain commitments to the others in that social belief structure. If the person attempts to belong to more than one such belief structure, the members of both structures have reason to doubt that the person actually believes what they believe, and may react negatively, even to the point of ejecting the person from the group.

All of that is an overly-wordy way of saying there's nothing wrong with sampling churches until you find one you like - people do it all the time - but in the end, probably best to pick one and stick with it.

On 7/31/2017 at 6:52 AM, madmax15 said:

I'm just checking with you guys. I go to one church in the morning and another one in the afternoon. Both Christian churches of course.

Is there something wrong with that because I heard it's looked down upon?!

Short answer: No, it is not wrong. If you find going to two churches fulfills you spiritually, then it is  good for you. You don't  owe anyone an explanation. 

5 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Short answer: No, it is not wrong. If you find going to two churches fulfills you spiritually, then it is  good for you. You don't  owe anyone an explanation. 

I want to emphasize that I agree with this in principle. Yet church membership, if one becomes an active participant in the life of the church, is not a solitary activity. The OP may not owe anyone an explanation, but should not be surprised if asked for one.

The reality is that as with any human social sphere, the individual is expected to adhere to the group's accepted tenets, especially so in religion. This is why I gave up trying to attend services years ago and find my connection with my Creator in nature. The raccoons don't argue, and the opossums are all Marsupialists.

• Like 1

Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in the same God. That hasn't stopped them from shedding millions of gallons of each other's blood for centuries in the name of religion.

You're right, it ought not be a big deal, and it shouldn't be to you as you seek out spirituality for yourself. It only becomes a big deal for those insecure in their faith and in their relationship with the Divine such that they have to try to define their own sense of spiritual worth through others. Unfortunately, for some it becomes such a big deal that entire churches experience schisms that separate large congregations of people who once worshipped together into separate sects unable to bridge their difference. A good example in recent times are those churches who have split over the question of ordaining women as clergy, or of sanctifying homosexual marriage (or accepting gays at all).

Or it can be a small thing that spills into something secular and political, like a church that condemns alcohol consumption rallying a vote against a local wet/dry ordinance. If you go in the morning to the Church of the Teetotal Redeemer where they only use grape juice in the sacrament, and those folks hear that you also took communion with actual wine at Our Lady of the Holy Vine Chapel that evening, you're going to have some explaining to do because to them, it's a Big Deal. 

53 minutes ago, madmax15 said:

I go to the Roman Catholic Church in the morning and a Christian church in the afternoon. Is that going to be a problem if people found out I did this?

Are you a member of one of those churches? If you are just attending then I don't think it would be a problem. But you really can't hold membership in more than one church or at least I've never heard of it. But if you are just attending then I don't see why people would mind.

Roman Catholics are Christians. Both are Christian churches. If, however, by "Christian church" you mean Church of Christ, then you're attending both Catholic and Protestant services, and two very different ways of getting at God.

Perhaps rather than asking if there is something wrong with attending multiple churches, you should consider evaluating what it is you're actually deriving spiritually from these visits. If you're attending services with such widely differing beliefs concerning the same God, you may find it difficult to arrive at a cohesive set of beliefs of your own.

• 3 weeks later...