Highest Dose of Valium?

What is the highest dose of valium you can be prescribed? Have any of you taken a high dose? I'm on 10mg and it seems to be doing ok in conjunction with vistaril. But I'm used to being on klonopin (was taken off) which aws 2mg x2 daily, so 4mg. And so she said my 10mg valium is equal to 2mg klonopin. Is this true do you think?

if it stops working or helping me, not sure how much to ask to go up to. I get a tolerance to medications sometimes.

17 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

And so she said my 10mg valium is equal to 2mg klonopin. Is this true do you think?

Noooooo......

According to Epocrates, Klonopin 0.5 mg = Valium 10 mg, so Klonopin 2 mg = Valium 40 mg (Klonopin 4 mg = Valium 80 mg, twice the max dosage.

Maybe your pdoc should see this benzodiazepine dosage equivalency chart from Epocrates and let her do some math.

17 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

What is the highest dose of valium you can be prescribed?

Officially, 40 mg/day, but I'm sure there are some who are prescribed more.

Epocrates Online Tables.jpg

This conversion is too aggressive. I just went from 2 mg Klonopin to Valium and the most Valium was 10 mg, Anything else was too much. Even my odic mentioned the traditional conversion was too much.

6 hours ago, notloki said:

This conversion is too aggressive. I just went from 2 mg Klonopin to Valium and the most Valium was 10 mg, Anything else was too much. Even my odic mentioned the traditional conversion was too much.

Really? I wonder when that equivalency was established and how it was derived... It does seem odd that Klonopin 2 mg is equivalent to the max dose of Valium...

• 1 month later...

There are a few different charts...ex some have Xanax and klonipin equal...but i think the meds should be based on your response not the equivalency. But I agree Valium 10 is not klon 2. I used to take 10x2 and then 20 for sleep but never 20 in the day

13 hours ago, Iceberg said:

.but i think the meds should be based on your response not the equivalency. 

That's kind of how my pdoc is going about it... she said something similar in regards to my lab work. I am on a low dose of lithium and she said my labs showed it was slightly under a therapeutic level, but she treats the patient, not the lab work, she said. Because I'm doing great on it.

So then, what I am basically hearing is the typical dose is 40mg but can be 60 or more depending on the particular case? I asked for some more because of panic attacks lately, so my pdoc said she'd write a prescription for a few more than 30, at 10mg. Should I just ask for a PRN of 40mg? because 10mg is ok for regular anxiety everyday, but panic attacks still happen and the only thing that kills them is another valium, so that's 20 right there...

You might get into trouble asking for large doses of a benzo. Even though doctors can prescribe more than the maximum, I think they  would be unlikely to do it in the case of controlled substances.

Also, I have to say that Valium is not the best benzo for panic attacks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jt07 said:

You might get into trouble asking for large doses of a benzo. Even though doctors can prescribe more than the maximum, I think they  would be unlikely to do it in the case of controlled substances.

Also, I have to say that Valium is not the best benzo for panic attacks.

I think xanax is. My mom had some, and I tried it twice for panic and it helped real well, and real quickly. But my pdoc doesn't prescribe that.

• 7 months later...

The highest dose of diazepam I have been on and am still currently on is 40mg. Doc. said I could take 2 twice daily or all at night, pharmacist said I could take 1 four times daily. Day-to-day my dosage schedule changes; some days I take all 4 in the morning, other days I take all 4 at night. Some days I don't take any and other days I take only 2.

I've come to respect the therapeutic effects of diazepam. I used to be dependent and addicted to Xanax and when I was first introduced to Valium it was to help taper off Xanax. I thought whooopdy-doo I get some diazepam, but I really find this drug helpful. For me, Valium/diazepam doesn't give me any kind of buzz at doses less than 200mg-300mg, therefore it's pointless and stupid to use diazepam recreationally because you will be blacked out and use more than half of your script. 

Another thing about Valium I really like is that I personally cannot feel anything from taking it compared to if I took a Xanax. This is why at first I disregarded Valium as no good. But even though I cannot feel the diazepam, I have come to realize it has benefitted my social and generalized anxiety a lot. The once daily dosing and long lasting properties of diazepam are attractive too for patients with multiple anxiety disorders who need around the clock symptom control.

@jt07 I agree, valium doesn't really fight the intense symptoms of panic attacks, xanax is good for this definitely

@Alien Navel Cord Serax is the brand name for oxazepam, which a metabolite or diazepam

Yeah that is also how I feel about the diazepam. I don't feel the deep relaxing effects from it like I did on the clonz, but I do notice the anxiety definitely goes away. I'm only on m10mg x2 daily PRN, though, so I don't always need it. Most days I don't. But if I go on a big event or am "off" and having some panic or anxiety with physical symptoms I definitely don't hesitate to take one to help, whilst doing my other relaxation techniques. So I don't "feel it" but I know it works because the anxiety goes away.