citalopram and mirtazapine

Hello!

i'm on 20mg citalopram for about 3 months and it's helping me with anxiety but not with the depression symptoms. Last month I started a small job but my sleep schedule got messed up again (fall asleep at 5am and waking up at 2pm) and I felt really guilty because I missed work several times that I had a suicidal urge..... I'm also not eating well and i'm currently  underweight and i hate it, i'm tired all the time and i'm sick of people's rude comments and my psychiatrist is worried about it..

So yesterday she gave me 30mg mirtazapine adding to the citalopram, she said it will help with sleep and will increase my appetite.. but I never been on 2 antidepressants before or SNRI or on sleep aid and it makes me nervous..

what do you think on this combo and on mirtazapine?

Edited by grab your bag

I was on a combo of citalopram and mirtazapine for years and just recently quit the mirtazapine to lose some weight. There really is no reason to be nervous. The antidepressants are not in the same class so they won't clash.

I think your pdoc, in addition to adding Remeron, should've also raised the citalopram to 40 mg. That's just me though. I'm sure your pdoc had her reasons for not doing so.

Remeron 30 mg will definitely help with appetite and sleep, but not quite as much as a lower dose would; however, to me it seems you need the antidepressant benefits more which are seen in higher doses of Remeron (30-45 mg).

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Another appetite stimulant is cyproheptadine, in case Remeron doesn't help. It doesn't really possess any antidepressant benefits to speak of, but it'll definitely help you with your appetite and being underweight.

16 hours ago, jt07 said:

I was on a combo of citalopram and mirtazapine for years and just recently quit the mirtazapine to lose some weight. There really is no reason to be nervous. The antidepressants are not in the same class so they won't clash.

thanks jt... did you had any side effects?

12 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

I think your pdoc, in addition to adding Remeron, should've also raised the citalopram to 40 mg. That's just me though. I'm sure your pdoc had her reasons for not doing so.

Remeron 30 mg will definitely help with appetite and sleep, but not quite as much as a lower dose would; however, to me it seems you need the antidepressant benefits more which are seen in higher doses of Remeron (30-45 mg).

I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Another appetite stimulant is cyproheptadine, in case Remeron doesn't help. It doesn't really possess any antidepressant benefits to speak of, but it'll definitely help you with your appetite and being underweight.

She did raised the dosage to 40mg! after I told her about the suicidal urge.. I forgot to mention it, today I started 30mg..

thanks also! you do know a lot.. :>

Edited by grab your bag