CrazyBoards.org

Right, so I'm up to 20mg of Zyprexa, which my pdoc says is the maximum dose, and although it's squashed my evil psychotic mania from hell flat, I'm still hypomanic and my sleep's pretty shitty. So I've been prescribed Thorazine, 50mgs a day to be taken mid evening (I also have some anxiety shit going on related to sleep because I haven't slept properly for so long, so the idea is to start calming me mid evening). Plus we need a little extra on the anti manic front to try and bring me a bit closer to base line.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone had used this/had any insight to add? I've read through a couple of threads mentioning it on here, but was really wanting to know if it's likely to help squash the remaining mania, how good it is for sleep, and side effects.

Thanks for reading!

When my hubby was in college, he had an over-the-top-put-you-in-the-rubber-room manic episode. They tried to use thorizine to get him to sleep. In fact, they restrained him by putting him between 2 mattresses and pumped him full of enough thorizine to knock out a charging male rhino (according to the nurse). It didn't help.

I think the finally added a bunch of haldol to keep him from bouncing off the walls.

Over the years, the quickest best thing to squash mania for him has been the zyprexa, but he is also on Lamictal. There are times when he still needs seroquel for the shitty sleep.

Thorazine is pretty old school, but it is way cheaper than some of the other meds, and if it works, it works! Just didn't happen to do any good for my man.

Thanks for the reply, Wifezilla.

I'm on Zyprexa as my main mania squasher, but the pdoc says 20mg (which I'm on) is the maximum dose, which was why she wanted to add something else in that would hopefully take care of the left over hypomania and sleep problems from the last Big Bad Mania .

Anyway, it definately seemed to help with the sleep problem- ie I wasn't up pacing the house all night, though I've felt very very sick for most of today, not sure if the two are connected. I've also felt stable today for the first time in a long while, so will see how it goes, it might be just the thing.

I think hubby was at 25 mg while in the hospital totally flipped out, but that was only for the first day. All the med sites say "The safety of doses above 20 mg/ day has not been evaluated in clinical trials." which is where your doc must be getting the 20mg max.

I also found a couple of studies that said it is unclear if anything over 15mg is useful.

Now when he takes it he is only on 2.5 - 5 mg.

Ah, think you're right- must be where the 20mg thing came from. Looks like I might be on this (or another AP if I start gaining weight)  more then the few weeks originally planned as it's done wonders for the psychotic mania. Still getting the damned hypomania breaking through daily but at least I'm now sleeping again thanks to the Thorazine.

Archived