When You Can't Avoid A Trigger?

What do you do when you know something's going to happen that usually triggers you? Do you up your dose of medication and try - what, strategies? What strategies help? For instance: We're moving in a few months. Everytime we've moved in the past 8 years I've gone manic, and that usually means irritability, argumentativeness, unable to focus or concentrate (and thus, help with the move), my impulse control goes bye-bye, i talk too fast or too much and it just makes me a PITA to my gf. 

Besides upping my meds dose.. what do you think might help prevent me from going manic or mixed - or even depressed? This is happening... so I need to figure out what precautionary steps to take.

Thanks y'all

Exercise and meditation. I work out at home, using a Youtube Channel called FitnessBlender. On their website it's easier to search by what kind of exercise you like best, difficulty, and time If you don't work out often, I suggest you try difficulty 1 or 2, and listen very carefully to your body. https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos

Edit: these are the ones I started with. They're really easy, and less than 20 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/VULt--bcWd0

https://youtu.be/NNkH4vDaVIo

TrackYoga is a very useful app which is in between exercising and meditating. The very first session is really good for beginners, I think it really emphasizes the "listen to your body" thing, and makes it easy and very calming.

For meditating, I recommend apps like "OneGiantMind", it's a 21 day program (also for beginners), but you don't have to make it day-to-day, though it's desirable. I think it's the best one. I have others like "Calm" and "Stop, Breathe and Think", but I don't like them that much. If you can, download them and try them to see which one works best for you. Maybe you have an iPhone instead of Android, and there may be some apps I don't know about.

Aside from that, when the situation is just too much for me and I can't avoid it (which is usually with my family), I make breathing exercises, take deep and soft inhalations, and try to not listen to the things they say if they're upsetting me. Just...breathing deeply and trying to "not care"/distance myself from the situation. It's really hard anyway...

I hope it helps. Let me know if anything works for you. Take care ♥

Edited by ElectricFeel
Adding more sources and examples

If specifically moving triggers you, do you think lists would help? Maybe just getting your thoughts down on paper might help you to ward off at least some stress? I just had a weekend trip with my 15yo daughter, I was starting to get panicky at the thought of navigating a very congested city, without my husband to help. I found that thinking through all details, no matter how small, and writing them all down helped immensely. And it turned out great. 

I'm a list-maker by nature anyway. 

And tdoc helps too. 

Is there a specific aspect of moving that does it, that could be changed?  What I'm thinking is, sorting and packing puts me over the edge. I'd pay to have someone pack my stuff. Well, I've paid for some packing but can't afford for all of it, but that's one possible solution for me, and an example. Also I paid movers rather than try it myself. Obviously if it's stress of new things or the like, this won't be too helpful, but if you can pinpoint a fixable part it might be helpful. For me it's the chaos of dealing with "stuff", at least that can be somewhat controlled. 

21 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

If specifically moving triggers you, do you think lists would help? Maybe just getting your thoughts down on paper might help you to ward off at least some stress? I just had a weekend trip with my 15yo daughter, I was starting to get panicky at the thought of navigating a very congested city, without my husband to help. I found that thinking through all details, no matter how small, and writing them all down helped immensely. And it turned out great. 

I'm a list-maker by nature anyway. 

And tdoc helps too. 

I was thiking lists, too. Organizing things, breaking them down, then doing them in order so that I don't go all crazy out of whack. Thanks!

On 8/2/2017 at 8:50 AM, ElectricFeel said:

For meditating, I recommend apps like "OneGiantMind", it's a 21 day program (also for beginners), but you don't have to make it day-to-day, though it's desirable. I think it's the best one. I have others like "Calm" and "Stop, Breathe and Think", but I don't like them that much. If you can, download them and try them to see which one works best for you. 

Thanks for the videos and links. I do meditate, or try to anyway - using Insight Timer, my fav meditation app so far. have you tried it? There's a ton of guided mediations as well as just a timer for you to meditate on your own, etc... I'll try this frequently.

18 hours ago, theforest said:

I depend on alprazolam. For me, I found it was necessary to give up hope of trying to manage it on my everyday  cocktail and now I just take the effing Xanax. YMMV

Yes I will be definitely taking my valium and maybe pro-actively asking my pdoc for higher strength.

1 hour ago, sugarsugar said:

Is there a specific aspect of moving that does it, that could be changed?  What I'm thinking is, sorting and packing puts me over the edge. I'd pay to have someone pack my stuff. Well, I've paid for some packing but can't afford for all of it, but that's one possible solution for me, and an example. Also I paid movers rather than try it myself. Obviously if it's stress of new things or the like, this won't be too helpful, but if you can pinpoint a fixable part it might be helpful. For me it's the chaos of dealing with "stuff", at least that can be somewhat controlled. 

We do have movers coming, and they do help pack but we're going to save money and do that ourselves. My mate hates the way I pack things (i.e. throw things into a box) so she does the packing. My job is to find the place to live, deal with the moving company, finalize dates, gather things to take to donation centeres that wer don't need.. etc... maybe if I do small things a little bit here and there it will not trigger me.

For things that I am certain will provoke a negative reaction in me, I have found that careful planning and open communication greatly alleviate the amped up dosage of incoming anxiety. 

Surprises always knock me for a loop.

Be as ready as you can be as soon as you can be ready. And, work hard to follow the plan. Eat well and sleep well leading up to the stressful event. 

Request that the movers keep you informed of their timeline.

Lists.. great idea. Having that nagging voice tugging at your conscience constantly making you fret over what you are forgetting? Treat it like a fly and swat it with your well thought out list!

Stay hydrated. Moving is hard work. For some of us, even the thought of moving is exhausting. 

Stay organized. Sort through rooms one at a time. Box it all up and leave the box in its original room. Label things clearly. Keep a suitcase for each of you to have a few days of clothes handy leading up to the adventure. Have a bag of all that bathroom smorgasbord of soaps and shampoos and meds and fluffy loofah sponges set up so you can just grab and go..

Moving companies absolutely love organization. They will walk the place, do a mental inventory of how to fit the furniture in most efficiently, then swoop from room to room one at a time to grab boxes that will fill the gaps in the truck to make it all travel well. 

Clear out the clutter. Get all the unwanted stuff out of sight. Have friends and family gather around the pile of castaway treasures at the side of the driveway and go crazy over it. Not your problem. Put a post in the free section of Craigslist with instructions of "take all or nothing". It will disappear. If there is anything left, either drop it at the local shelter or put it in a trash bag and place it by one of those 'help the needy' boxes in a grocery store parking lot.

Feel good for helping those less fortunate. You are a hero. 

Not having to move all that stuff with the rest is the added bonus!

Yoga? Meditation? Breathe.. just breathe. Ativan is my personal savior for when I know I will be walking the plank of the pirate ship of sanity and landing in a swarm of sharks. Silly docs hate prescribing that stuff!

I have moved 3 times in the last 15 years. My rule was, if it didn't fit in the back seat or bed of my truck.. I didn't need it. No exceptions. Some random strangers moved into my old place to find really nice furniture waiting for them. My strategy was overly simplistic (and very expensive). But, it sure was stress-free! All of my moves were over 1000 miles. I waved the white flag and admitted defeat. Cross town would have been different.

Good luck!