Hi everyone!

I'm glad I found this site because I've felt alone for years.  

Backstory:  First depression episode was at age 11.  Originally diagnosed at 19 with depression, even though I kept telling them I wasn't "sad" or "depressed" at the time.  Went to numerous therapists, psychiatrists, etc. and kept being misdiagnosed and labeled under "depression".  Finally had one therapist tell me that she thought I was Bipolar, but then didn't do anything about it except switch me from Zoloft to Wellbutrin which ended up being a disaster.  At that point, I swore off all mental health professionals until a few months ago (went over 10 years without treatment).  

Currently:  I hit a new low and got to the point that I wasn't able to function in late spring 2017.  Found a great office with a team of professionals that were able to properly diagnose me with Bipolar 1 Disorder.  This team couldn't believe that I went so long without treatment and that I wasn't properly diagnosed by numerous mental health "professionals".  Recently started medication and I'm having a few minor side effects.  The biggest difference is that now I wake up some mornings and I feel like what I think "normal" people must feel like.  I can think clearly and situations don't overwhelm me like they always have.  It's still a work in progress, but I'm making progress.  My family doesn't understand why I'm so excited that my medicine is starting to work.  They can't understand the experience of feeling  like you are "crazy" your whole life and suddenly a whole new world is opened up to you.

Hi and welcome to CB! My depression hit me at 12 years of age. A lot of people's MI (mental illness) comes on around that age. I often wonder if there is a  connection between MI and puberty beyond the usual craziness of puberty.

Anyway, I'm glad you found us and decided to join. I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards. Welcome again!