What was your onset of negative symptoms like? 

For me it started with being unable to read and concentrate. I also started to isolate more and speak less. Then I had an awful episode with suicidal thoughts. 

On 8/2/2017 at 3:03 PM, aura said:

What was your onset of negative symptoms like? 

For me it started with being unable to read and concentrate. I also started to isolate more and speak less. Then I had an awful episode with suicidal thoughts. 

Do negative symptoms include suicidal thoughts? I can't find any info about this anywhere. I'd like to read more about this. I always attributed suicidal thoughts to mood symptoms. 

To answer your question though, I stopped showering and brushing my teeth regularly. I don't talk much to anyone at all about anything anymore. I don't have many thoughts. My mind is blank. I have no friends and I isolate. I can't even watch a half hour TV show; my concentration stinks. I don't care about much. I just have no motivation to do much of anything. 

I think those are the bulk of the negative symptoms I experience. It's hard. Especially the motivation piece. I waste my life. I wish I were motivated to try work or finish school if I were well enough.

I honestly have hygiene issues, too. I figure my lack of concentration is just my ADD, which I've had since childhood. I first started hearing voices at age 25, three months before my wedding. The hygiene issues started before that, though, just from depression.

Personally, my onset was layers of positive symptoms that introduced themselves as individual stressors conspired to send me reeling. 

I reached the age where my genetic predisposition blossomed into thoughts, feelings, and impulses that I could no longer distract myself from.

Oddly enough, it started when my dog died. At the age of 24, after making a series of very poor decisions, (failed marriage, daughter removed from my life) he was all I had left and meant everything to me. That was the snowflake that started the avalanche. 

Shortly after, I was notified that my workplace was bought out and shutting down. My job duties meant I had to visit the basement alone and attend to things. The shadows became silhouettes, and the silhouettes were a talkative bunch. After a week of that, I quit the job.

They knew I was acting odd and generously gave me a severance package. May have felt responsible or guilty? 

I withdrew from life. Isolated myself completely. Locked myself in a room with a toaster, a microwave, and a mini freezer stocked with nothing but eggo's and chicken nuggets. I just completely stopped caring about everything and infused myself into the virtual reality of a computer game instead. Sleep? Shave? Shower? Brush my teeth? Walk 10 steps to the bathroom? Why? 

Family would try and check in on me. I didn't answer. They would peek in the window, see I was alive and disappear. Their idea of support was to give me space. 

After several weeks of tormenting myself over my inexcusable failures, my brain melted.

I was pulled off the roof of an 8 story building in town by a security guard after he noticed me walking the edge like a balance beam. 

I had no idea I was even there and woke up in the hospital. 10 days later, I got home and the room looked like somebody crammed a landfill in through the window. It was pretty disgusting to see the way I was 'living'. Maybe I thought the silhouettes were cleaning for me? Who knows.. 

And then the medication nightmare began..

That was 15 years ago. Was hospitalized 2 more times. Been fighting the fight ever since.

Thankfully, although I have my hiccups, I have never been close to a repeat performance of that first rude awakening.