Perceiving value in your life is not a thought form of perception (awareness) at all. Rather, it is an emotional awareness. In other words, our emotions do not have some sort of mind control effect on us where they force us to perceive, through our thinking, our lives being good or bad to us. It is purely the emotions themselves that allow us to see values in our lives. Emotions are actually a sense like sight. They allow us to see the values that things and situations hold in our lives. It is only our positive emotions that allow us to see the positive qualities of life (i.e. the good values) while it is only our negative emotions that allow us to see the negative qualities of life (i.e. the bad values). Having neither positive nor negative emotions would be no different than a blind person. No value judgment can allow this blind person to see just as how no value judgment or mindset can allow us to see the values in our lives.

Edited by TranscendedRealms

@TranscendedRealms I completely agree...How can you experience any good value, joy, beauty, happiness, love, and worth in life if your brain does not produce the chemicals that create states of well-being? Your thoughts and actions alone are not enough to compensate, IMO.

Even on meds, I do not feel any sense of well-being or happiness.

Interesting thought. It reminded me of something I've run into, which is a gap between what I know intellectually to be true, and what I feel emotionally. I know that my friends like me. I have lots of evidence for this and when I examine all the evidence I can tell that it is true. Emotionally I don't feel like they do and just knowing it mentally doesn't give a particularly good experience of being liked.

Even when I am depressed I can list all of the things in my life that I am lucky to have.  But I can't *feel* it.  And my thoughts keep pointing out how awful I am and how worthless and useless everything is. And I am convinced that I will always feel that way.