Is there a difference between being pessimistic and being paranoid?

Is there a difference between being pessimistic and being paranoid? 

I need to know. I was called pessimistic and I don't think I am that way generally. I believe it is paranoia and anxiety that makes me appear to be pessimistic to this uneducated person. (Uneducated about SZ disorders and MI in general)

It kills me though to know that I appear to be pessimistic to some people. How depressing. Just one step closer to the edge for me. :(

I don't know much about your dx, but mild pessimism could be seen as realism. More than mild pessimism could be a symptom of depression or dysthymia. So yes, there can be a difference.

Everybody has their own perspective. 

Glass half full. Glass half empty.

Beyond being consistent, there is little you can do to influence how people percieve you to be. That is their choice to make. 

The other side of that coin is how much you value their opinion. 

Because this person labeled you as being something you disagree with provoked a reaction, your image must be important to them? They mean a lot to you. 

Perhaps surprise them with some obvious (and honest) optimism..

Blue skies? "Wow.. this sure is some great weather we are having!" 

Day off from work? "Sure will be good to get caught up on things. Been looking forward to this. It's been a busy week!"

Ignorant people are going to be ignorant. That is also their choice. 

Mental illness was at the bottom of the barrel of subjects that I wanted to research.. right up until the moment I realized I was tangled in its web.

You could always fight ignorance with ignorance, know you are not pessimistic, and not worry about what others think of you. Seems rather cold, detached, and very unwelcoming. But, it's an option. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I get told that alot at work. Its different but it might look the same to people esp if they haven't dealt w it. I feel like paranoia is more high energy alert pessimist more low energy inviting 

Of Any percieved thing..

If someone calls u a pessimist maybe it's cause they are, and they see paranoia  & think it's the same .... alot of times we people tend to see something resembling an aspect of ourself on someone else and start calling them all the things w are... even when they're not,

u r gr8, forgive them their error, and u b ok