CrazyBoards.org

Attacking Anxiety & Depression Program

My husband ordered the information packet after listening to the infomercial about "Attacking Anxiety & Depression".  link  It's a 15 week course that comes with 16 CD's,  a couple VHS tapes, a workbook etc. and it can be had for the low, low price of six payments of $74.97 (or 1 payment of $419.88).  I've seen this advertised many times before but didn't really think it was something that would work for me. 

Has anyone tried it?  Successes?  Failures? 

I am usually wary of infomercial products, my husband is a sucker for them...  oregeno extract, magnetic mattress pads, cell phone antennae booster, etc.  He hasn't ordered this yet, that I know of.

My husband ordered the information packet after listening to the infomercial about "Attacking Anxiety & Depression".  link  It's a 15 week course that comes with 16 CD's,  a couple VHS tapes, a workbook etc. and it can be had for the low, low price of six payments of $74.97 (or 1 payment of $419.88).  I've seen this advertised many times before but didn't really think it was something that would work for me. 

Has anyone tried it?  Successes?  Failures? 

I am usually wary of infomercial products, my husband is a sucker for them...  oregeno extract, magnetic mattress pads, cell phone antennae booster, etc.  He hasn't ordered this yet, that I know of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw the whole infomercial and really took issue with it. Not because it was trying to address anxiety and depression in a way other than medication. I have no problem with that at all. Rock on.

But, the message that this chick is sending out is [from what I saw] is that, essentially, most, if not all, anxiety and depression are the same- long term or short term. This means that they can be treated the same, and they are almost always created by external forces which exacerbate our vulnerabilities.

Basically- we don't need meds, ever. No one does. You can take these tapes, this course. Because this woman had an extremely stressful period in her life and went through a lot of hell, and found a way to deal with it and pull through, anyone can do it the same way.

I just can't buy that. Because it isn't true.  I think it could be valuable for stress management, in conjunction with therapy or medication, or for situational depression at times.  My point is that there are certain people it may work for and certain people that it may not.

Regardless- it is way too fucking expensive.

When I called, I had no intention of paying for the intro tape. But I really wanted one.

So I called and expressed my doubts repeatedly.

''I am really interested in your program, but I have tried so many things so far and I don't really want to spend money again on something that might not work''

-Well, it really doesn't cost that much.

''I don't have a job. It might just be a waste of money. Can i send it back if it isn't helpful?''

-No. But it does tell you all about the program.

''So it tells me information that I wouldn't have seen on tv?''

-yes.

''Like what?''

Specifics of the program.

''Well, I think that if I decide to pay for it, it would cost a lot and that is a lot of money to invest in something. I don't think that I should have to pay to get information on this''

-Well, it's only 9.95. It's about the cost of a movie.

''I don't go to movies. I don't go anywhere. I can't I have major anxiety issues and when that doesn't get in the way it's difficult for me to leave my bed a lot of the time''

-...What is your address?

I wasn't trying to be an asshole.

But the fact is, what they were actually sending was a cassette tape.

for 9.95.

That, plus the rehearsed lines that the operator was feeding me...

ewww...

and the cassette tape doesn't seem to say much more than the commercial.

I think, like I said, that it could be helpful for some people.

But it is so expensive.

It makes me really mad to see people told that so many problems can be treated the same way. and they can't.

Sorry to go off on a rant.

I just think that this woman is doing wrong, by not being more clear on exactly what kind of conditions she is aiming to treat.

I "bought the book".  Read through most of it - she had many issues and anxieties but not like some of us, she make it through the best she could, figured out a way that would help her, got smart, wrote a book, tapes, etc.  - applaude applaude.  BTW I didn't finish the book, not that it was a bad read or anything, but it wasn't the exact direction I needed.  It is now collecting dust on my shelf or perhaps collecting moisture in a land fill.  Hey, give it a try, if it works for you amen to that.  It might be exactly what YOU need or give you a little relief.  Some of us have some real deep down problems that a book or a tape just isen't gonna fix - like me.  Kris.

I've never seen the infomercial, but we get the radio ads here. I had a similar reaction to Navy's. The radio ad basically lumps alcohol, recreational medication, and prescription medication all together as unnecessary. I took offense to that and I honestly think it is an unfair method of advertisement.

In a way it was reinforcing some of the old stigmas about psychiatric medication. It took me about a decade to overcome my family's loathing of medicine before I sought treatment.

Also, I'm wary of anything targetted at anxiety-stricken folks like us. Let's face it, when we are filled with anxiety we can be fairly desperate as it takes up so much of our energy to deal with it. So I'm always wary of programs, pharmaceutical advertisements, and all those wonderful purely organic treatments. Clearly you are as well, or you wouldn't have bothered asking about it!

My mom and stepfather lent me an older version of these on  tape -- unsolicited. Yeah they will fix me (sarcasm). I've only listened to the first four or five tapes but haven't learned anything. I think everything Navy said is right on although I have no idea what new info might be on the CDs and video. The tapes seem like more of a commercial for the clinic than anything else.  There are 15 tapes and a book.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my very dear friends bought the set. He has specific phobias and lifelong anxiety. The major one that was interferring with his daily life was driving. He would circle his neighborhood numerous times thinking he had hit something, or someone would honk a horn and he'd have to turn around and go home in a full panic, never making it to work. He finally quit driving for a year. Then he bought the cd's. Did the WHOLE program and is on cloud nine. He can drive again without freaking out, he's way calmer at work and doesn't let stuff bother him anymore. He's burning the cd's for me. I'm more than willing to pass them on to anyone who wants to use them when I'm finished.

It may or may not work for you, but damn I think it's worth a shot. These cd's gave my friend his life back. Everyone on here is poo-pooing the idea because ya'll don't like their advertising. The placebo effect works in reverse to. If you're sure something won't work for you (even though you've never tried it) then it won't. I'm going to listen to the cd's and do the work they ask, and we'll see. But I'm very open to the idea. I for one would Love to be rid of the anxiety meds.

Let me know if anyone wants me to pass them along when I'm done.

Croix

Croix,

Thank you so much for sharing your friend's success with the program.  I'm so glad that your friend has his life back.  I know how debilitating it can be when driving gives you panic attacks.

Let me know how you do with the cd's, please!  :-)

One of my very dear friends bought the set. He has specific phobias and lifelong anxiety. The major one that was interferring with his daily life was driving. He would circle his neighborhood numerous times thinking he had hit something, or someone would honk a horn and he'd have to turn around and go home in a full panic, never making it to work. He finally quit driving for a year. Then he bought the cd's. Did the WHOLE program and is on cloud nine. He can drive again without freaking out, he's way calmer at work and doesn't let stuff bother him anymore. He's burning the cd's for me. I'm more than willing to pass them on to anyone who wants to use them when I'm finished.

It may or may not work for you, but damn I think it's worth a shot. These cd's gave my friend his life back. Everyone on here is poo-pooing the idea because ya'll don't like their advertising. The placebo effect works in reverse to. If you're sure something won't work for you (even though you've never tried it) then it won't. I'm going to listen to the cd's and do the work they ask, and we'll see. But I'm very open to the idea. I for one would Love to be rid of the anxiety meds.

Let me know if anyone wants me to pass them along when I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest
My husband ordered the information packet after listening to the infomercial about "Attacking Anxiety & Depression".

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anxiety and depression both are based on strong anger. In the ads there is no mention of anger or controlling anger. That is a red flag and tells me it is a scam. Roger

I picked up Lucinda's "From panic to power" book...eh, it has some good ideas in it, but as mentioned earlier, the whole "you don't need meds for an anxiety and/or depression problem" is a bit much...interesting that Lucinda has created an herbal supplement called "Good Days" that is supposed to help with these issues, so her "the cause of anxiety is the way you think" line of reasoning can further be questioned.

Also, she successfully completed college and was at the top of her profession...many people who suffer anxiety/depression would cringe at the very thought of attempting something as anxiety-producing as higher education and/or a professional career...so how bad did she really have it?

Just some things to think about...

• 2 months later...

i downloaded the program via limewire a while ago and while it was interesting to listen to i dont see how it could help anyone with serious anxiety problems.

its just a bunch of people telling stories of how they got out of anxiety or how they were coping with it. granted i never saw the workbooks that came with the programs the cds were crap.

• 1 year later...

I've been looking into this for a few months and last week I noticed that you could "try" for a free copy of the program. I entered and actually won the compete program which is a good thing. Found out the actual cost of the program is $494.87 with shipping. Wow! That's expensive! They have a support forum/chat you are supposed to check in with daily. That I found out was $4.99 a week. Um yeah right. That's $239.52 a year. Looking at the forum I realized there isn't much activity and a lot of posts for help/advice have gone unanswered a long time. So I guess I'll try some of the suggestions and hope they work but won't be using their forum/chat since I've seen more info/help here than on theirs. I will say I don't think it's worth the $494.87 though and their very crazy if they think their forum is worth $4.99 a week, when I have crazyboards for free thanks to those of you who are able to donate (I'll get there some day I hope as this site is worth donating to to keep it going!)

• 7 months later...
Guest does it matter

I've watched this infomercial a couple times. I can so relate to everything these people are saying. I have panic attacks, depression, PTSD, Agoraphobia and PMDD. I've been on so many meds, it's ridiculous! Therapy? If I hear one more thing about my past and not how to fix or help things NOW, I'm going to call my insurance Co. and ask for $$ back. I ordered something similar about 15 years ago and it doesn't help. We who go through it have to deal with it. Let me ask anyone that reads this. Panic- Do you you stop and think to yourself, Oh, I know what this is, it will pass. Oh and don't forget to breathe in through your nose and let it out through your mouth. Bite Me! It's just as scary EVERY time. Like it's happening for the first time. Depression- Do you say to yourself, Oh, It's just that gosh darn depression again. NO!!!!!! It hurts all the bleeping time and no meds and I've been on most in every category is going to help. I've been doing this since I was a little girl. Even the crap my mother fills in for me that I don't remember. My feelings about everything is negative. EXCEPT, if you are going through something such as a death or financial or anything that you will eventually pass and get over, then there is hope. For me, No!!!! It has gotten worse and I've tried my ass off. Big time jobs too. I am now on SSI and only 37 and I don't leave my house unless absolutely nessesary and usually not alone. I'm only 37 and getting back to that infomercial made me cry to think there are people out there like me and that's how they suck you in. I know I would give my right arm not to feel this way but it doesn't work that way for A LOT of people. Again, If your not "clinically depressed" or are afraid of everything for a long period of time, there may be hope but to have big hopes and a dollar amount to add to your stress added to it to find out it doesn't work, to me it would just make things worse................ I think I just had a therapy session

• 4 months later...

I purchased this program and did it, twice. The relaxation tape made me fall asleep long before it was over. Other than that, it didn't put a dent in my anxiety disorder.

I feel this program could work well for people dealing with mild anxiety issues, not an actual anxiety disorder. Certainly not debilitating anxiety/panic. And maybe someone who has a "simple" phobia - like a fear of dogs as an example - could use this program with success.

Lucinda's husband killed himself two (I think) years ago, btw.

Archived