Highest doses of benzo uve been on , prescribed.....and how long

Ive been on benzos for 10+years consistently

max of xanax ER 1mg 3xday-taht doc was whack

then xanax regular 1mg 2-3 times a day

or klonopin 1mg 2xday

truthfully i have friends that have taken 8mg of ativan daily...........prescribed

lately it doesnt feel like it does the trick, but just curious others experiences

Just now, Iceberg said:

For me: 

1 mg PRN  am 1 mg PRN 2mg PRN q HS- Xanax 

-Valium 10x4 

ativan 2x3 

klonipin 1x4 or 1, 1, 2

restoril 45mg

halcion .75 (those last two were above the recommended maximum 

so you have been on a good bit as well. i feel better then! which one do you feel works best for you? whats your anxiety diagnosis? so xanax you take 1 am as needed , another as needed, then 2mg before bed?

6mg lorazepam both scheduled and prn for about 4 years

then 1 mg clonazepam TID for a couple of years then tapered to none 

now 0.25mg prn for sleep... I end up taking it 1-4 nights a week.

Yes but the 2mg Xanax was also for sleep. My dx is just anxiety NOS. right now taking klon. And it works is your on a set schedule or have time for it to kick in. Halcion is gold for my sleeping. So I can (but almost never do) take up to 4mgs klon a day

6 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Yes but the 2mg Xanax was also for sleep. My dx is just anxiety NOS. right now taking klon. And it works is your on a set schedule or have time for it to kick in. Halcion is gold for my sleeping. So I can (but almost never do) take up to 4mgs klon a day

right now its 1mg before bed............and 0.5-1mg in the am prn.........kinda have some freedom to take the 1mg prophylactic or take it when i need it or do 0.5 then take the other 0.5 if i need it 

i find xanax for sleep doesnt last long enough for me and i wake up in 4-5 hours wide awake........klonopin much better..........and klonopin with melatonin even better

10 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

3 at a time, 3 over the course of a day, how split up

With the half-life of clonazepam being what it is, it doesn't really much matter, but I took it as divided doses: 3 times per day.

Just now, jt07 said:

With the half-life of clonazepam being what it is, it doesn't really much matter, but I took it as divided doses: 3 times per day.

Just now, jt07 said:

thats true , does have a strong half life, but i like to think of spacing them out as booster doses

i almost feel like im doing something wrong if i take it prophylactially or dont try 0.5 first then take the other 0.5 if i need it

I was on 2mg Klonopin 3x/day. I started at .5mg and slowly went up over the course of 5 or 6 years. I'm currently tapering off slowly and have gone from 2mg twice/day to 1mg twice/day over the course of about a month. 

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

40 is usually the upper dose but occasionally more can be used, commonly with alcohol withdrawal 

most i took of valium was 10 mg

24 minutes ago, heilmania said:

I was on 2mg Klonopin 3x/day. I started at .5mg and slowly went up over the course of 5 or 6 years. I'm currently tapering off slowly and have gone from 2mg twice/day to 1mg twice/day over the course of about a month. 

so was it mostly for your GAD, and what were your symptoms

5 hours ago, looking for answers said:

thats one heck of a taper........from a high dose over how long did u taper

I tapered over the course of a year. I didn't have any difficulties with rebound anxiety or benzo discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms. ETA: The brunt of the taper was done in 6 months.

I was reading an article recently that was talking about percentages of people who have trouble tapering. It was something SUBSTANTIALLY less than 50%; more on the order of 10-25% I think. I can find it again if you're interested.

Just now, Wooster said:

I tapered over the course of a year. I didn't have any difficulties with rebound anxiety or benzo discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms.

I was reading an article recently that was talking about percentages of people who have trouble tapering. It was something SUBSTANTIALLY less than 50%; more on the order of 10-25% I think. I can find it again if you're interested.

i personally havent had much trouble with tapers in the past, a little on klonopin last time going form 2mg to none, i couldnt sleep.........but in the past no issues, others i know really struggle

Technically. But I know people who take 400. I also needed a max dose of trileptal and Depakote...it seems like the AEDs really take a lot to get to me. It's also cuz nothing works for my depression so it was kind of a Hail Mary...but I think it took weeks and weeks but maybe helps a little now. My doc is aggressive with my doses and I ask him to be because no other strategy has worked 

Xanax 1mg bid for almost 2 years

Restoril 30mg qhs for 6 months

Klonopin 1mg bid for 2 months

Ativan 2mg qhs for 2 months

Valium 10mg qhs for 3 months

I currently am prescribed Xanax XR 1mg qd, Valium 10mg qhs, and Xanax 0.5mg tid. Thinking of discussing with psychiatrist about going back to Xanax 1mg bid because the XR formulation doesn't seem to be as strong, with respect to panic and anxiety, as the IR tablets unless I take like 3-4mg of the XR. 

Does anyone find that after being on their benzo for longer periods of time that you feel like you must take it 2 or 3 times a day, instead of being able to use it as needed? If I try to skip doses, take it as needed, or not take them I find my anxiety increases and becomes much worse

On 8/6/2017 at 1:44 PM, looking for answers said:

Ive been on benzos for 10+years consistently

max of xanax ER 1mg 3xday-taht doc was whack

then xanax regular 1mg 2-3 times a day

or klonopin 1mg 2xday

truthfully i have friends that have taken 8mg of ativan daily...........prescribed

lately it doesnt feel like it does the trick, but just curious others experiences

8 mg Ativan sounds like a lot to me.

I was inpatient and I think the most I took was 2mg Ativan 2x day and I was asleep the whole time.

At home I never really took more than 1mg Ativan or just 1mg PRN.

What I don't like about benzos is if you're not taking them 2-3 times a day there's in between side effects.

I get the worst headaches/migraines when my ativan dose wears off.  Also i'll have the worst time holding bladder right about 2 hours before my next dosage.

Edited by BrianOCD

2 hours ago, Iceberg said:

Klon and Xanax ER cut down on the in between cuz they last at least 6 or 8 hours

cut down on the in between?

2 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

8 mg Ativan sounds like a lot to me.

I was inpatient and I think the most I took was 2mg Ativan 2x day and I was asleep the whole time.

At home I never really took more than 1mg Ativan or just 1mg PRN.

What I don't like about benzos is if you're not taking them 2-3 times a day there's in between side effects.

I get the worst headaches/migraines when my ativan dose wears off.  Also i'll have the worst time holding bladder right about 2 hours before my next dosage.

everyones different, 1mg is nto touching me lately

10 of Xanax is hardcore. But if lasts 6 hours and klon lasts 10 I guess it would be double the max dose because it wears off faster so you need more. So 1 mg q12 hr lasts as long as 2 Xanax 1 mg...so I guess 4x2 is 8...idk how they get to 10 

i know but i was reading the dosing when i did one mg of xanax xr 2xday i was feeling it

7 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

10 of Xanax is hardcore. But if lasts 6 hours and klon lasts 10 I guess it would be double the max dose because it wears off faster so you need more. So 1 mg q12 hr lasts as long as 2 Xanax 1 mg...so I guess 4x2 is 8...idk how they get to 10 

ha i did the same thing