CrazyBoards.org

Well I had my performance review today and it was the worst I could get. So I contacted the disability person about short-term or permanent leave....

In the meantime I feel like a complete and utter failure. Like I cant do anything right.Will being on disability from work count against me when applying for a new apartment? Does it still show as if I work there?? How do I go in to work when I 've been told I am unapproachable and that I isolate, and I'm not a team player?? I have thought about checking into a hospital for a few days as i feel like life is crumbling, but I am not suicidal. i worry about being homeless because I have no family in this area to live with.

If you're unemployed, it counts against you. If you're still an employee of your workplace, but on temporary leave, it should be okay. Laws vary from state to state, country to country. You may still be able to secure an apartment.

There are options besides homelessness. Lower-cost housing, getting a roomate (just find someone who is a quiet sort of person to whom you can say "I'm a private person and need a lot of space"), staying with friends if you know any, crashing in temporarily empty dwellings if you know someone who owns multiple properties, or relocating to another city in order to move in with someone you know. Which of these are even faint possibilities for you? Try them.

Homeless shelters vary in format and quality. There are short-term and longer-term facilities. Some are well-operated, some are quite lax. Some take only men, only women, or only families. Some focus on youth. Most offer food, but some don't. Check especially with women's shelters in your area, if you are ever faced with sleeping on the street. Most are run by good-intentioned people, and if you don't qualify for their services for whatever reason or if they're full, chances are good they will refer you to the next-best place for you.

Before getting upset over the thought of a shelter, though, look into all your other options. You might still be able to get an apartment. (How much pay will you collect on disability leave? Full pay? 60%?) It might not be a large and spacious apartment, but it will be your own space. Failing that, you can look for a roommate who will respect your need for emotional space and quiet. Failing that, see if you or anyone you know knows a landlord with multiple properties. You might be able to crash somewhere for a few months. Check with whatever friends you have. Check with community organizations. Consider moving, if really and truly necessary. There are many avenues to exhaust before you're out on the street.

Finally, being out on the street is the worst-case scenario, but it is not the end of the world. Even that is survivable.

Archived