I have suffered from depression, anxiety, and OCD my entire life and have tried dozens and dozens of pharmaceuticals. Currently I am tapering down my Adderall (prescribed off-label for depression) and when I am approaching zero Adderall I want to have something in my system for hopefully both my anxiety and depression. Viibryd is my old stand-by and is pretty effective for me but I don't like the side-effects. Medical marijuana use in my state, Texas, is limited to just one condition (a type of childhood epilepsy) but hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD) oil is legal in all 50 states because it comes from hemp, not marijuana, and its THC content (the component of cannabis that produces the high) is less than 0.03%. I've seen a few posts mentioning CBD in other forums, but not in this one for depression. I have already bought a couple of bottles of CBD capsules and have experimented with up to 50mg per day. I noticed little effect but I didn't stick with it, plus I am thinking that given the severity of my psychiatric symptoms, I might need a much higher dose of CBD. I am also considering vaping it, thinking that might give the CBD a quicker punch.

The FDA does not regulate hemp-derived CBD so there is a ton of misinformation on the internet and there are also serious questions about quality control.

My questions:

1. Do any forum members have any experience with or knowledge of using CBD for depression? If so, at what dose?

2. Do any forum members know of any practitioners who specialize in CBD for psychiatric purposes? Most of the so-called experts on the internet are selling their product!

Thanks for any and all input!

• Like 1

I found it hard to get accurate dosage requirements for seizures. In kids with childhood seizures taking CBD they dose by the drop (out of a dropper) They keep raising the dose until the seizures stop. Of the reputable studies that are about CBD and seizures they were using 250 mg to 400 mg. Quite expensive if you are buying pure CBD. Hemp seed oil contains some CBD so I just take a lot of that, 2 grams a day. The problem with hemp seed oil is the level of CBD in it can vary. That is the advantage of CBD extracted in the lab and sold of the retail market, or so they say. It is a supplement so there is no oversight. So I am shooting in taking more than enough. Seems to work, hemp seed oil plus Keppra gives me no seizures.

There is a lot of confusion, CBD appears to have an antagonist effect on THC, reducing it. Therefor, as CBD was spoiling their marijuana high, the growers of recreational cannabis quickly bred CBD out of the strains they were using. In fact they bred a lot out of cannabis strains to increase the THC content. I have access to a high CBD strain at my dispensary, called Cannatonic. 6 % thc and as much as 16% CBD. Charlotte's Web is another high CBD/low THC strain. The dispensary sends every plant to a lab to test for content percentage. Probably Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. 

On 8/14/2017 at 2:24 AM, notloki said:

I found it hard to get accurate dosage requirements for seizures. In kids with childhood seizures taking CBD they dose by the drop (out of a dropper) They keep raising the dose until the seizures stop. Of the reputable studies that are about CBD and seizures they were using 250 mg to 400 mg. Quite expensive if you are buying pure CBD. Hemp seed oil contains some CBD so I just take a lot of that, 2 grams a day. The problem with hemp seed oil is the level of CBD in it can vary. That is the advantage of CBD extracted in the lab and sold of the retail market, or so they say. It is a supplement so there is no oversight. So I am shooting in taking more than enough. Seems to work, hemp seed oil plus Keppra gives me no seizures.

There is a lot of confusion, CBD appears to have an antagonist effect on THC, reducing it. Therefor, as CBD was spoiling their marijuana high, the growers of recreational cannabis quickly bred CBD out of the strains they were using. In fact they bred a lot out of cannabis strains to increase the THC content. I have access to a high CBD strain at my dispensary, called Cannatonic. 6 % thc and as much as 16% CBD. Charlotte's Web is another high CBD/low THC strain. The dispensary sends every plant to a lab to test for content percentage. Probably Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry. 

Interesting thoughts, notloki, thanks. Remember, I am not talking marijuana here, only hemp-derived CBD, because that's all that's legal here in Texas and quite a few other states. Actually I am quite discouraged about the whole CBD thing right now. First of all, as you say, there is no oversight and the retail/online market is like the old Wild West. However, it is possible to find reasonable advice on brands on a number of sites, including the Facebook group, "CBD Oil Users Group." But the thing that really has me bummed now is I went to my primary doc today for my annual physical and I showed him my bottle of CBD oil capsules. I knew that he, like most Western-trained doctors, wouldn't have much good to say about it, but I wanted him to know because CBD has a potential negative interaction with atorvastatin, my cholesterol med. I expected him to be maybe neutral on the CBD but he really went off on it and is clearly poorly informed about it. It's not worth it to me to look for another doctor so I think I will stick with the previous plan of tapering down my Adderall, prescribed off-label by my pdoc for depression, and ramp up the Viibryd. Viibryd has a few unpleasant side effects but overall it is the most effective AD for me, and I have taken dozens over the years. There's a chance I may be moving to either Colorado or Massachusetts where of course I can get the real deal.

12 hours ago, rnohou2010 said:

Interesting thoughts, notloki, thanks. Remember, I am not talking marijuana here, only hemp-derived CBD, because that's all that's legal here in Texas and quite a few other states. olorado or Massachusetts where of course I can get the real deal.

Right, I said that. Actually it is legal in all states. Hemp seed oil which is made from commercial hemp. Contains trace amounts of THC. Commercial hemp is grown for it's fibers, to make rope and other things. It is is also sold as biomass.