CrazyBoards.org

I am currently proscribed  Invega Sustenna 50mg monthly depot and before that Ability. I have never had a Prolactin test. I think my libido has massively decreased. Is it normal for them not to test you because I've never been tested?

No, I think prolactin should be monitored, but hyperprolactinemia often manifest as asympthomatic, so  at least, as I know, in most Europe countries they not test you if don't have symptoms.

Edited by centaurus

Yeah mostly they don't do the test unless you have symptoms. 

Libido massively decreased is a symptom of hyperprolactinemia. The PI has a clear warning about hyperprolactinemia and it's symptoms, of which loss of libido is one side effect listed. It is a simple blood test. For men if you ask for a free testosterone test they usually include several androgens and prolactin. For men or women there is a specific test for prolactin level alone.

10 hours ago, notloki said:

Libido massively decreased is a symptom of hyperprolactinemia. The PI has a clear warning about hyperprolactinemia and it's symptoms, of which loss of libido is one side effect listed. It is a simple blood test. For men if you ask for a free testosterone test they usually include several androgens and prolactin. For men or women there is a specific test for prolactin level alone.

Yeah, but that's only one symptom. Decreased libido can also be due lower NE; DA tone in synapse and other reasons. also psychological.

Edited by centaurus

On 8/14/2017 at 8:30 PM, centaurus said:

Yeah, but that's only one symptom. Decreased libido can also be due lower NE; DA tone in synapse and other reasons. also psychological.

It is called a differential diagnosis where you rule out all possible causes. Hyperprolactinemia is a common side effect of any med that works with D2. In men the high prolactinoma antagonises testosterone, therefore reducing it's level. Guaranteed to kill a guy's sex drive and functioning.   

Edited by notloki

Prolactinoma is tumor that overproduce prolactin. I think you mean just prolactin. with all other I agree.

Edited by centaurus

22 hours ago, centaurus said:

Prolactinoma is tumor that overproduce prolactin. I think you mean just prolactin. with all other I agree.

Right. Spell check did that and I missed it when editing.

I'm on Invega sustenna and abilify maintena together. My prolactin is high but I am asymptomatic. My doctor tests for everything any time I get bloodwork.

One more thing. If you play around with dopamine you are likely to get more prolactin. There are several dopamine receptors. D2 is the problem here. ap's block it, This is how they quiet down psychosis. So all the AP's except Abilify mess with prolactin to some degree. Abilify is different, it can reduce raised prolactin due to not being a blocker of D2 but an agonist. It allows some dopamine through, being selective. Abilify is used as a treatment for raised prolactin, taken along with the other AP.

My knowledge of prolactin is because prolactin is raised after a convulsion or tonic/clonic seizure. I get those and I am not aware I had a seizure. Getting a prolactin test within 24 hours indicates that I had a seizure. So I have read a lot about it.