Bupropion 450XL HELP!!

Hello, I am new to the forum and looking to find information on others experiences in being bumped from 300mg XL to 450mg XL. A little history is that I was put on 300XL back in 2014 and it was a life changer for me. I had no motivation, was sleeping until 2-3pm in the afternoon, just did not have any will to do anything. It was an awful time in my life dealing with a chronic illness and a separation from my husband at the time. (My choice) In a matter of 3 days of being on 300mg XL I was waking up at 7am and actually getting up and having a will to do things. I had no bad initial experience with it and was very thankful that I was put on this medication. Since then everything has been fine until a recent change of going from brand to generic, then generic to a different brand of generic at my pharmacy. Within a 3 month time frame I started to feel lifeless again and no desire for life. (My father passed away from cancer and my husband from whom I'm separated suffered a massive stroke) I've had to care for both of them and still caring for my husband which has been overwhelming to say the least. I have no time to myself and makes my will to live not good. ( I should note not in a suicidal way) just plain depressed. I want to have a life! Like everyone else... In ant case the p doc decided to bump me to 450mg XL from the 300mg XL since I've always done well with Wellbutrin. I've only taken it 3 days and have an overall flat, numb, zombie type feeling. I do not like feeling that way. I'm looking for others experiences going from 300XL to 450XL. Is this just an initial feeling of numbness and feeling flat? Does it goes away? Does anyone have any success stories on being bumped up? How long did it take to feel better from the bump? Or on the other side anyone have a bad experience on being bumped up? Any help, support, experiences bad or good, etc would be very much appreciated. I'm inclined to stop the 450XL already after 3 days but if I can hear of any positive experiences I may push through and continue to take. 

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the support and hope to be supportive to anyone else out there having problems with meds and depression. 

It took a few weeks to notice a difference going from 300 mg  to 450 mg. Most often psychiatric meds don't work at once or even quickly. There is usually a several weeks wait before the med starts working. During those weeks of waiting you may experience side effects that will go away once the med kicks in. You can't tell anything with just 3 days under your belt.

• Like 1

Are you still on the generic, even at the 450xl?

If so, and if possible, have your pdoc write a script for brand, they can put  "medically necessary".

It is the RELEASE method that may not be working for you on the generic. The bupropion is dumped out unevenly or all at once. I know many people who got way worse when switched to generic. However, many many people use the generic and it works fine. Everyone has different body chemistry.

I take Aplenzin. The equivalent amount to Wellbutron 450 XL, and it is only ONE pill, not two. It is Aplenzin 522mg. The binder is different, though I don't know if that's makes any difference at all. With Welbutrin you have to take a 300XL and the 150 XL. 

Nonetheless, as notloki said, you have to give it at least 3 weeks. My side effects were all hyper related. I had to stop drinking coffee for a while, not drive for a couple of days. My gut instinct says your body does not like the generic.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, notloki said:

It took a few weeks to notice a difference going from 300 mg  to 450 mg. Most often psychiatric meds don't work at once or even quickly. There is usually a several weeks wait before the med starts working. During those weeks of waiting you may experience side effects that will go away once the med kicks in. You can't tell anything with just 3 days under your belt.

Hi! Thanks so much for your reply. I do understand that meds do not tend to start working for at least a few weeks however after only taking this medication for 3 days I felt kind of out of it. Just in a zone. I didn't want to drive or be around anyone. I was told you can experience some side effects during the first week. Did you experience any side effects good or bad the first week you were upped to 450? I actually stopped taking it because I was in the process of getting my son back to college and did not want to feel off. Can you tell me your experience being bumped from 300 to 450? I don't know if I should start back up or just wait it out until I go back to doctor. I'm trying to get others experiences good or bad so I have an idea how this medication effected them. I'm kind of back to the no motivation thing and now is not a good time. I will be moving in a month and need all or the energy I can get. Wellbutrin really helped that a few years back when I started on it. The doc is talking about adding buspar if this doesn't work out. I know nothing about buspar. Thank you again for taking the time out to reply to my concerns..... 

On 8/14/2017 at 0:03 PM, water said:

If so, and if possible, have your pdoc write a script for brand, they can put  "medically necessary".

It is the RELEASE method that may not be working for you on the generic. The bupropion is dumped out unevenly or all at once. I know many people who got way worse when switched to generic. However, many many people use the generic and it works fine. Everyone has different body chemistry.

I take Aplenzin. The equivalent amount to Wellbutron 450 XL, and it is only ONE pill, not two. It is Aplenzin 522mg. The binder is different, though I don't know if that's makes any difference at all. With Welbutrin you have to take a 300XL and the 150 XL. 

Nonetheless, as notloki said, you have to give it at least 3 weeks. My side effects were all hyper related. I had to stop drinking coffee for a while, not drive for a couple of days. My gut instinct says your body does not like the generic.

Thank you for your information. It turns out I never was on brand, it was a different maker of a generic and I had no idea. I guess the pharmacy was able to get this generic at a better price. The p doc said that yes various generics can make a difference. Some it effects and some it does not. I was taking this new one for about a month and a half when I realized I was sort of at a stand still of feeling better with my depression.  Honestly I didn't even think about it being the change of the brand, I just thought since I've been on it for so long it may be time for a change or a booster. However the p doc felt it was the change of the pill. That's why he didn't want to start me on something new but just increase what I'm already on. He thought it might give me a boost like I had the last time. So is the antidepressant your on comparable to Wellbutrin? That's exactly how I felt like I didn't want to drive or be around anyone I felt kind of a flat numb feeling after 3 days. Not that I felt that feeling was going to last but my son was home from college and I had to drive back and I did not want to feel off in any way. Can I ask when you were increased did you notice a difference in a good way after a few weeks? I'm also kind of afraid to be on such a high dose due to risks of seizures. I have stopped taking it but I'm thinking of restarting, just trying to reach out for people experiences and to have an idea if it helped them. I'm desperate and need to feel better soon.  I'm moving in a month and there's no way I feel I can do this if I feel the way I do now. In addition I've been off of work for a few years due to surgeries and autoimmune related issues but am wanting to go back. I think that in itself will help how im feeling but would like to be a little more stable with the depression symptoms. Sorry for the lenghthy post and thank you again!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 0:03 PM, water said:

My new dr just prescribed the same for me - Aplenzin 522 mg once a day. I've been taking 200 mg SR Wellbutrin 2times a day for the past 8 years. I also take Xanax 1 mg 3 times a day. 

She told me to just switch to the Alpenzin and I'm reluctant to do so. 

Im always depressed though and feel no desire to do anything. I go back to work next week and the thought is making me so anxious. The dr said to break the Xanax in half and spread it out more during the day. .5 at 730, .5 at 11, for that feeling while at work. 

Im just do tired of feeling down in the dumps. I have a good job, great kids going off to college and one getting married. But just no excitement. 

Glad I found your thread and will try the new med that you take 

On 8/21/2017 at 7:33 PM, Benzgrl13 said:

Can you tell me your experience being bumped from 300 to 450?

It made ALL the difference in the world. I am still at that amount. Which is the same as Aplenzin 522mg. And Aplenzin is ONE pill. If you take Wellbutrin you have to take a 150 xl and 300 xl.  I think for me, the distribution method is key. Having the drug slowly seep out into my chemistry works best. 

On 8/21/2017 at 9:19 PM, Benzgrl13 said:

So is the antidepressant your on comparable to Wellbutrin?

Yes. The same. The only difference is the binder, sodium bromide instead of chloride. Which seems to be to slight a difference to make a difference. I think it all has to do with the coating. Get the brand Wellbutrin OR Aplenzin.  My experience is this med is very strong and made a difference very quickly HOWEVER, I was still getting depressed and it wasn't until I added Lexapro that my depression became tolerable for the first time in my life. 

On 8/30/2017 at 1:17 AM, bulldogmom said:

My new dr just prescribed the same for me - Aplenzin 522 mg once a day. I've been taking 200 mg SR Wellbutrin 2times a day for the past 8 years. I also take Xanax 1 mg 3 times a day. 

She told me to just switch to the Alpenzin and I'm reluctant to do so. 

I hated the SR. My depression came roaring back everyday and then it had to be contained again. That was exhausting. The SR, sustained release, is only meant for 12 hours. Again, that stop a nd start releasing did NOT work for me. The immediate release method, which dumped out everything at once, felt like a train roaring in my body coming down the tracks. Overwhelmingly intense. It was the first AD I EVER took, and for the first time in my life I felt the free happy 2 year old Water again. But I could not live like that. I has TOO high.

I love Aplenzin. The only issue is the insurance company makes me renew every year and it is a pain in the butt. 
Also take the brand Lexapro.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Water, thanks again for all of your help with this. So I've been on the 450mg generic Wellbutrin for 3 weeks now, starting my 4th week today. Honestly I don't think I feel any different then when I was on the 300mg. Maybe too soon? I don't know. I assume maybe I should give it another 2 weeks, 6 total before I say it's not helping. My appointment with my p doc is this Thursday. I'm thinking to ask him what he thinks about the ONE pill Aplenzin a day like your taking..... 

I was also curious about your response to bulldog mom with reference to the first AD you ever took, talking about the immediate release and it dumping all at once, you mentioned you felt good but too good and had to stop because made you too high. Which antidepressant were you referencing when talking about that and it's immediate release?? It didn't sound like you were referring to the Aplenzin since your still taking that. The Wellbutrin XR I think is just extended relief but I don't think it dumps all at once. 

I'm feeling a lot like Bulldog mom in her reference and I'm wondering if she was given Aplenzin, and your happy with it, that it might just be my best bet. I just started the moving process so that's why I was slow getting back on here, but I truly can't thank you enough. I believe I posted on a few sites about my concerns but most are not taking Wellbutrin it seems so no one could relate, so I am greatful for your feedback. 

Thanks again!! 

On 8/14/2017 at 11:28 AM, notloki said:

Thanks for the help Notloki. It's now been three weeks being on the 450mg and I don't yet notice any difference from the 300mg so I'm gonna give it another couple weeks. I go to the p doc on Thursday. He wanted me to follow up with him to see if the 450mg helped. The only thing I've noticed is very, very vivid dreams. Again thanks for the help. I'm in the process of moving so I've been slow in replying, but I do appreciate any help in learning others experience with this medication. 

Hi Bulldog mom, I was just curious as to whether or not not you started on the Aplenzin that was recently prescribed. I know you mentioned to Water that you were reluctant to do so. If you have, have you noticed a positive effect?

Your situation seems similar to mine with the no excitement down in dumps kind of feeling. I also feel no desire to do anything and lack motivation because of it. Many of the antidepressants have a numbing effect I've found out in trying a few in the past. I definitely don't need that. Wellbutrin I believe has some sort of stimulant in it which thank god or I probably would never get out of bed. I was in a bad place 4 years ago after separating from my husband so initially Wellbutrin was a life saver for me. I'm going to ask the p doc about the Aplenzin this week. I think if your already at 400mg total per day of the Wellbutrin it's probably a good move. I was at 300mg and was bumped to 450 but that's two pills a day, where like Water indicates the Aplenzin is one pill a day. 

In any case I hope your feeling better.... 

Edited by Benzgrl13

If I ever had to take a bupropion product again I would only take the Aplenzin. I had such issues with the generic bupropion XL. The pill would dissolve too quickly. I would feel super amped in the morning and zonked in the afternoons. Aplenzin releases more evenly and I didn't feel as jittery.

As for the difference, like @water said Wellbutrin is bupropion hydrochloride and Aplenzin is bupropion hydrobromide. In actuality there really is no difference except the physical delivery system in the pill and the base salt that they bind the bupropion too. But there may be some differences. You may know that Wellbutrin carries a statistically significant rate of seizures particularly at the 450mg dose (522mg for Aplenzin). In the study they found that rats given Aplenzin had just as many seizures as those who were given an equivalent dose of Wellbutrin but the seizures for the Aplenzin-treated mice were significantly less severe and didn't last as long. So, there has to be at least SOME sort of difference.

Browri, Are you no longer on any AD medications? I am worried about the risks of 450mg of Wellbutrin as well.  My p doc says seizures are rare, but it still worries me. I was actually surprised this was the route he went with. My thoughts were , I've been on this medication for four years, maybe it's time for a change. I don't know what the answer is. All I know is I was made to try several brands long ago and never gave any of them enough time to work. If something makes me feel numb the first or second day I stop them immediately because I don't like that numb type feel where I don't have any emotion.  With Wellbutrin I never had that numb feeling. 

I will ask about the Aplenzin tomorrow at p doc and see what they say. 

Thanks for the information. 

If your doctor is willing to give you a try on Aplenzin, make sure you go to get their savings card. The insurance, if it covers it, will likely only cover it as a non-preferred brand because they want you to take generic bupropion or take the Forfivo brand for the 450mg tablet. I used the savings card for Aplenzin and my $60 copay became a $5 copay and the coupon works past the expiration date as well.

I am still taking Trintellix as an antidepressant. I came off Aplenzin because I was ultimately having anxiety issues that I wasn't managing well but I would go back to 174mg Aplenzin as a booster to anything in a heartbeat. When I was taking it before, I was taking the 348mg tablet as my main antidepressant. It just didn't work as the main med but as a booster to another AD, it can do wonders.

Edited by browri