Attachment based therapy

Has anybody tried attachment based therapy for our anxiety?  My brother thinks I would benefit from it.  He is a therapist who has benefitted from this kind of therapy.  He had unipolar depression, and went on medication, but also went to a therapist who did attachmenet based therapy and psychodynamic therapy.  Attachment based therapy examines the trauma you have gone through as a child.  The idea is to peel back the layers of the trauma you had as a child, and process these events.  This is supposed to help anxiety and depression.  CBT doesn't seem to help me much.

Are you newly diagnosed? What care are you receiving now? Do you feel like you've been through trauma you need to process? I've hashed through all of the abuse and trauma and dysfunction I've experienced in life, and yet my mess really all comes down to this mental illness. I've had so many therapists and done so many types of counseling and ABT didn't do much for me. I'm not sure years of processing or ruminating helped me that much - I was such a master at lying and disguising that what I really needed were meds to stabilize me and help with coping and decision making. I gave my doc a run through of my sad and sordid history (lol) including various victimizations, but it is what it is - not much left to discuss aside from the dysfunctional dynamics and MI rollercoaster I'm living through in my life today. If I had my choice, I wouldn't spend much time going over all of my childhood and young adult disappointments and trauma, of which I had plenty. I feel I wasted time by focusing on my life history and every way things went wrong. My life would have turned out so differently had I just received appropriate diagnosis and treatment for BP disorder. However if your sibling was helped, maybe it would work well for you since you came from the same places.

Edited by Renarde

I'll try to just jump to my feelings here. First, do you have current memories of childhood trauma?  Do they cause you problems?  I went in for problems and was told they were due to childhood trauma. We spent a huge amount of time reliving, unearthing, etc, until I went from a functioning person to one eho lost a business and a marriage due to inability to function, basically. In the end, to make a long story very short, I escaped from the therapy and pulled myself up again. I feel it ruined my life or at least many years of it. So I'm not a fan of such therapies. And "recovered memories "?  Don't even want to discuss that disaster and I'm still bitter about the results of that approach. Just keep in mind that it's not always helpful to go that route, I'm glad it worked for your brother, my experience was radically different. 

I agree, bringing up the past is not always the greatest. I do not want to bring it back up and yes I had a very bad childhood.focus on now and move forward. bringing in the past hurts more than what you think and going through it is not fun. 

Good Luck

3 hours ago, sugarsugar said:

"recovered memories

I am  someone who has experience with (false)  "recovered memories" and it harmed me.  I was definitely suffering due to childhood "issues" but it was not sexual abuse which a therapist convinced me of.  It wasn't until many years later that it was clear to me what had happened with that therapist.  It fucking sucks when you go to therapy for help and leave with additional baggage!  (That was one of two fucked up therapy experiences and as I write this I am realizing that it's actually pretty amazing that I didn't just give up!) 

ON THE OTHER HAND : I am now working with a therapist and have really made progress by going back through my history (and that of my parents and grandparents) and understanding what happened in my development that has made it so hard for me as an adult There are no buried memories and we don't spend time blaming this or that parent. As my therapist said :" this is not a court of law". I have now realized that I missed some important things as a child and I developed coping skills that kept me safe but as an adult they really fuck up my life. So the challenge is to help me realize that I am worth putting time and energy into and then learning how to care for myself and how to manage the part of me who still feels small and abandoned and panicked and to realize that I am a capable adult. 

So... I have had both crappy and good experiences with therapy. I can see both sides of the coin. 

Yes, amskray, I had false memories, didn't want to explain all that, but it happens and it can mess us up. And did any of that help me?  Glad I've moved past it. I try to avoid going into a rant but I wanted to say there is a downside especially with some therapists.