Just Think Positive?

My therapist is wonderful and I love her and she has helped me so much over the years but I feel she is not taking into account that I can't just think positive. She said i need to do the work to recover from my eating disorder and other things and not focus so much on the negative but try to focus on the positive things in my life which is all well and good but when i am depressed its not that easy. She said that is the work but i feel unheard like she doesn't care i am just depressed right now or not hearing it or doesn't want to. I said i am not interested in most coping skills and that is true and I said i try to do like external things like be more social etc. and do activities i do like which i do i do book club and softball. She said work on internal things all i could come up with was think more in a positive light but its not that easy i feel like she thinks that will be easy for me or something. she is wonderful we are very close and she has saved my life but i feel sort of like just thinking positively will not cure my PTSD, depression, anxiety and anorexia idk i am supposed to work internally but what is there internally idk she said i have been in therapy over 10 years i should know by now and i am not doing the work to get better and recover i am trying but i can't do it right apparently i ate more but that is not enough i get that but i am just frustrated. My psychiatrist seems to get it but for some reason I just don't feel heard right now my whole session today i did talk about positive things it was an exercise but idk it doesn't fix me.

I saw a therapist for a few years. Eventually she decided I was being defiant and resistant when I wouldn't just do what she said--it wasn't right for me, to make a long story short. She wouldn't change her approach and wasn't helping, so I had to leave. Best thing I've ever done as far as therapists. My point is, she may have been good for you, but if she's blaming everything on your just not thinking positive, maybe it's time to take a step back and reevaluate. Maybe she will listen to your concerns, or maybe it will be time for a change. Sometimes we grow past what a particular therapist can help with. Talk to her about it first but be open to change if you can't work it out. My opinion of course, based on my own experience. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't want to leave her at all but i am very attached to her. I am just feeling unheard i feel more heard by my psychiatrist right now. my therapist is wonderful she just made me feel like what i am experiencing right now is not important i am going to tell her that and see what she says. i feel its just not fair that i am not working hard enough...and maybe i am not but i am that depressed right now that i just can't...

Since you've had a good working relationship with her so far, I think telling her that you're feeling unheard is a good idea. Maybe she doesn't realize how depressed you are at the moment so she didn't realize that right now "thinking positive" and "doing the work" are nearly impossible. I know that when I'm mildly to moderately depressed, refocussing myself on the positive does help, although I may need someone else (like my therapist) to remind me what some of those positive things are. When the depression gets really bad though, thinking positively becomes impossible, and I become dismissive of any positive or hopeful comments. 

I see her Tuesday I think I will tell her i feel unheard like not that she doesn't care i am depressed but like she doesn't see it or thinks just positive thinking will turn it around but I am just not at a point where that works. I have been just falling asleep watching movies like mini naps but i never used to do that and like today could hardly get out of bed but forcing myself to go to a softball party because taht is me working at least externally i don't know what internal work I can do besides the thinking positive and that can help sometimes when i am not this low. our whole session saturday was a phone session so she couldn't even see me when my nutritionist said i looked blah or just not good my psychiatrist told me last time i saw her i didn't look great but that was a lot due to restricting...our phone session she got me to talk about positive things but i needed help to do it. she didn't want me to focus on negatives it is just hard when you feel so bad. she is usually wonderful so i think i will talk to her. she would rather i would be honest with her she prefers honesty.

My session went really well my therapist read what i wrote and we talked about it and she totally validates me and she just wants me to push through it and she is like not talking to me she is talking to like the sick me and i need her to push me to do things or i just won't and i will be this way forever. she said maybe we have to wait this out before i can really do the work and just she asked what i need and i don't know what i need. she said no matter how depressed i am i have to eat and keep my weight up and if i can't she said really it means higher level of care. she wsa like how long did it take you to get out of the ins and outs of being inpatient and in programs and i am lucky she is my therapist because there are a lot of times throughout our time she said that many therapists would have sent me inpatient. she doesn't jump on it because she knows my feelings on inpatient and she doesn't want to send me either but if i really can't i can't. she doesn't love inpatient either nothing against anyone going it just never helps me.