Sure. What works for me is having a dedicated space to work (away from tv), and turning on music that doesn't distract me. It's funny, I used to only be able to work in complete silence. On my bad days, I still need it. In that case, if you have a fan, turn it on instead of music. It drowns out the clock ticking and the refrigerator humming and all those other noises that can throw me off track. 

Also, running water noises can be nice unless they make you have to pee. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grab your bag said:

I have some Ritalin left but I'm hoping it's something that can be controled without meds . . 

It's worth a shot. When you say you have some Ritalin left, do you mean that your doc discontinued it? If so, why?

Just now, grab your bag said:

Because I stop asking for it.. It helped me focus but it also made me feel nausea

Okay. I had the same thing happen with Straterra. It made my stomach hurt so bad. But, I was on Adderall for years with no issues like that. Would you be willing to try a different med?

I can't focus well off meds. But even on meds, I find I do best with background noise. I have the radio on to mainly talk in the other room, and the TV on nearby. That sounds counter intuitive, doesn't it?  But in my case, it works. And I did that even prior to being on meds. Can't hurt to try but I realize all that background stuff isn't for everyone. 

• 2 months later...

Getting enough sleep at the same time every day can help a lot. I'm useless when sleep deprived. Exercise. The usual ADHD advice probably helps here too. Break work up into little bits, with small rewards when you get each bit done. Visual reminders, etc. I'm sure you've heard a lot of this stuff before, but if not, you may find it worthwhile to read Hallowell's Driven to Distraction. Try to ignore the sunshine enema that comes with it. It seems to me that later versions have a higher proportion of snake oil.  Or maybe Barkley's Taking Charge of Adult ADHD. Not much, if any snake oil in Barkley's book, but a bit of the sunshine, which was completely absent in the book on the subject he wrote for doctors. 

For me, it would probably help to disable any nearby computer with a connection to the internet. But I need that for some of the stuff I want or need to do. Sigh.

BTW, meds help me, but I still have a problem.

Edited by ldo
  • Like 1