CrazyBoards.org

i'm sure it's here somewhere but i'm freaking out

in starting 25x3 day, 50x3, day,75x3day, 100x3 day

what can i expect 

how soon till i feel something?

how soon till it helps anxiety?

hiw soon after taking it so you get tired?

do doses affect drowsiness?

is there a hangover?

can this be a stand alone bipolar 2 med?

am i going to gain weight i workout out and bidybuild . my bodyfat is 7% this will crush me if i do...

anyhing else u notice or

wnna add

well just so you know it's real sedating.  

It will knock you out.  It's a good thing if you want something to put you to sleep.  Seroquel always does the job.

I think 45 minutes or so you'll start feeling drowsy.

I had a bit of anxiety getting used to it if I haven't taken it in a while.  

There is a hangover...yes.  Have to get used to it.

I don't know about stand alone, I know it helps balance you out at the cost of sedation.

Just a warning, for me it made me crazy hungry after taking it.  So if you're worried about weight gain, I'd go to bed right away.  I would want to binge eat after taking it.

I never went over 100mg seroquel...the lower dosages helped my symptoms of depression/anxiety/obsessions well enough.

I've been taking seroquel on and off for over a decade, it's been a positive experience for me.  Only thing I don't like about it is the next day my mind feels a bit too slowed down and sedated.

Edited by BrianOCD

I respectfully disagree with the above in most ways. 

Yes, it can be/is sedating, that is not an iron-clad guarantee though. I take 300 mg IR; most nights it helps with sleep, but I also have nights of tossing and turning, and I swear I've taken a sugar pill. 

Hangovers are also not guaranteed. I take mine at 9:30-ish, and go to bed within 15 minutes or so. I wake often at 2-3am (4:00 at the latest), and I'm not only perfectly fine, I feel sharper and more energetic than I do later in the day. 

I also don't get cravings with it, I am in fact slowly losing weight without really trying. I've just become hard-nosed about making sure I don't have unhealthy, fatty foods in the house. Frequently my breakfast is a quick veggie stirfry, sometimes with tofu, and I use a minimum of sauce. 

With workouts and low body fat, it sounds like you already are knowledgeable about eating properly and healthily. 

This is all just to say, yes, seroquel does have a bad reputation, but YMMV. Please keep that in mind. Good luck with it, I hope it helps. Works wonders for me. 

4 hours ago, BrianOCD said:

well just so you know it's real sedating.  

I felt tired, but it tossed and turned all night

It will knock you out.  It's a good thing if you want something to put you to sleep.  Seroquel always does the job.

Def did not knock me out

I think 45 minutes or so you'll start feeling drowsy.

Yeah i was "drowsy"

I had a bit of anxiety getting used to it if I haven't taken it in a while.  

So it can cause anxiety at first, then decrease anxiety? for you at least?

There is a hangover...yes.  Have to get used to it.

no hangover today, but only 25mg

I don't know about stand alone, I know it helps balance you out at the cost of sedation.

Well i guess we will find out @!

Just a warning, for me it made me crazy hungry after taking it.  So if you're worried about weight gain, I'd go to bed right away.  I would want to binge eat after taking it.

I usually eat dinner then go to bed, so im ok there lol. Funny that it says it causes metabolic changes in some places, some places say its because it causes increased hunger??

I never went over 100mg seroquel...the lower dosages helped my symptoms of depression/anxiety/obsessions well enough.

Why never over 100mg?

I've been taking seroquel on and off for over a decade, it's been a positive experience for me.  Only thing I don't like about it is the next day my mind feels a bit too slowed down and sedated.

Zombified is not a good thing!

how long did it take to work for you? and thank you for your reply

30 minutes ago, Rabbit37 said:

Yes, it can be/is sedating, that is not an iron-clad guarantee though. I take 300 mg IR; most nights it helps with sleep, but I also have nights of tossing and turning, and I swear I've taken a sugar pill. 

Hangovers are also not guaranteed. I take mine at 9:30-ish, and go to bed within 15 minutes or so. I wake often at 2-3am (4:00 at the latest), and I'm not only perfectly fine, I feel sharper and more energetic than I do later in the day. 

I also don't get cravings with it, I am in fact slowly losing weight without really trying. I've just become hard-nosed about making sure I don't have unhealthy, fatty foods in the house. Frequently my breakfast is a quick veggie stirfry, sometimes with tofu, and I use a minimum of sauce. 

With workouts and low body fat, it sounds like you already are knowledgeable about eating properly and healthily. 

This is all just to say, yes, seroquel does have a bad reputation, but YMMV. Please keep that in mind. Good luck with it, I hope it helps. Works wonders for me. 

Granted I only took 25mg it made me drowsy but i tossed and turned all night. I dont feel hungover at the moment. I do follow nutrition quite close. It was just a read about it actually changing your metabolism. BUt then other plces i read thats not true, seems studies are all over. I know everyone is different though.

How long did it take to work for you??

Can't really recall how long it took, a week, maybe two? I had just tapered off risperdal (damn prolactin level), wasn't in a good headspace at all. I know I titrated rapidly to 300mg.

Hopefully as you titrate, yes. Seroquel is an odd duck, in that the lower doses tend to cause more sedation. A lot of people experience less sedation at higher doses. Again, tho, you'll have to see how you react to it. A common rule of thumb is to allow 4-6 weeks of a med trial once you reach your target dose, in order to not only hopefully shed the s/e, but also to see if it's working properly.

40 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

it's more sedating at lower doses? really?

Not for everyone (it isn't for me), but yes, it does seem to be the general experience that I've seen reported over the years here on CB. As Rabbit said, YMMV with this, and you need to give it time before passing judgement on whether or not it's for you. 

I was on the instant release version at doses up to 1000mg for about 9 years, and I've been on 600mg of the extended release since 2012.  The XR is the mainstay of my drug cocktail - I couldn't do without it.

6 hours ago, MiaB said:

Not for everyone (it isn't for me), but yes, it does seem to be the general experience that I've seen reported over the years here on CB. As Rabbit said, YMMV with this, and you need to give it time before passing judgement on whether or not it's for you. 

I was on the instant release version at doses up to 1000mg for about 9 years, and I've been on 600mg of the extended release since 2012.  The XR is the mainstay of my drug cocktail - I couldn't do without it.

from what i've read it yes progressively more sedating up to like 200mg then tops off??? it's confusing

1 hour ago, looking for answers said:

from what i've read it yes progressively more sedating up to like 200mg then tops off??? it's confusing

that was my experience, roughly. i went up on it pretty quickly (taking it for schizophrenia, not bipolar), so i don't know how relevant my experience will be, but i would say somewhere between 200-300 it stopped making me so fatigued. i topped out at 800.

44 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

f so it's gonna get worse...

at 25mg it's basically anti histamine correct? there's no wat i feel slightly better after one 25mg dose right 

i think it depends on what the goal is. if you're trying to get a good night's sleep, then 25 mg might've helped you do that, thus making you feel better.

i don't actually know how long seroquel takes to have an impact on mood because i don't have a mood disturbance. i think it's possible that you feel better from getting a good night's sleep though.

as far as 25 mg basically being an antihistamine, i think that is a function of the individual. some people are super sensitive to medications and others aren't...the same medication can be experienced totally differently by two people, even two people with same/similar diagnoses.

2 hours ago, mellifluous said:

i think it depends on what the goal is. if you're trying to get a good night's sleep, then 25 mg might've helped you do that, thus making you feel better.

i don't actually know how long seroquel takes to have an impact on mood because i don't have a mood disturbance. i think it's possible that you feel better from getting a good night's sleep though.

as far as 25 mg basically being an antihistamine, i think that is a function of the individual. some people are super sensitive to medications and others aren't...the same medication can be experienced totally differently by two people, even two people with same/similar diagnoses.

ahh u take it for sleep.

Understood, i just read alot on this med, and it varies in dosage, effectiveness and what it does from person to person, article to article

48 minutes ago, looking for answers said:

ahh u take it for sleep.

Understood, i just read alot on this med, and it varies in dosage, effectiveness and what it does from person to person, article to article

no, sorry i was unclear. i was saying "if one takes it for sleep" or that at 25 mg maybe it helped "you" sleep better. and sleeping better might help you feel better.

i have schizophrenia and took it for that until i maxed out and switched meds.

18 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

Well that's interesting, might also just be interactions with other drugs too.  You also take a much higher dosage.

On 23/08/2017 at 10:56 AM, looking for answers said:

how soon till i feel something? 

how soon till it helps anxiety?

hiw soon after taking it so you get tired?

do doses affect drowsiness?

is there a hangover?

can this be a stand alone bipolar 2 med?

am i going to gain weight i workout out and bidybuild . my bodyfat is 7% this will crush me if i do...

anyhing else u notice or

wnna add

How soon it works depends on your current mood state. If you're manic it might be days, if depressed it could be weeks, in my experience.

i never found it helpful for anxiety.

i would get tired very soon after taking the tablet. Maybe half an hour for the immediate release tablet.

i found the higher the dose, the drowsier I was. I only took it up to 400mg.

there was a hangover for me until my body became accustomed to the drug, yes. I needed a lot of sleep every night and went to bed early.

i haven't taken it as a stand alone med but I believe it is sometimes done, yes.

i didn't put on any weight until I was on 400mg, after which it made me eat more. Up until then I was thin and had trouble putting on weight. 

My advice would be to track your weight, workouts and diet religiously so if there are changes you can nip it in the bud before it gets out of control. 

14 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

How soon it works depends on your current mood state. If you're manic it might be days, if depressed it could be weeks, in my experience.

i never found it helpful for anxiety.

i would get tired very soon after taking the tablet. Maybe half an hour for the immediate release tablet.

i found the higher the dose, the drowsier I was. I only took it up to 400mg.

there was a hangover for me until my body became accustomed to the drug, yes. I needed a lot of sleep every night and went to bed early.

i haven't taken it as a stand alone med but I believe it is sometimes done, yes.

i didn't put on any weight until I was on 400mg, after which it made me eat more. Up until then I was thin and had trouble putting on weight. 

My advice would be to track your weight, workouts and diet religiously so if there are changes you can nip it in the bud before it gets out of control. 

thank you , my weight, food, and workouts area ll meticulously tracked

Well I took seroquel up to a month ago . Expect severe sedation especially the first month . When I mean severe I mean you won't be able to do much except sleeping and being groggy . Coffee does help and so does limiting your party life you are such a person to like that. I was on 300mg . Unfortunately I had to stop due to a sudden thyroid problem given to me by seroquel. Of course seroquel like any other drug works wonders for some and real bad for others . Some good advice that I wished they had given me is that you need not be afraid of the tachycardia or inversely of the really sudden blood pressure drop that seroquel will give you. It might trigger an instantaneous panic attack that you must not give into. I went to the hospital several times for this reason because I freaked out big time. TBH I really don't know why they still treat people with these overly sedating meds. I mean there's newer or much safer ones like zyprexa and abilify . Wish you best of luck nonetheless! 

PS : it starts working pretty quick in a couple of days you will have seen little improvements and every day they build up . 

Edited by Brunowtzki