Switching from Thorazine to Risperdal?--what to expect?

I see my pdoc tomorrow, and she wants to switch my anti-psychotic from Thorazine to Risperdal, because she has read about Risperdal being more effective for treatment-resistant OCD.

I have a couple of questions for her about this, but just wanted to get some opinions here first.

She says I can do a pretty quick taper from Thorazine, and then switch immediately to Risperdal, and the equivalent Risperdal dose would be  about 2mg....In other words, Thorazine 100mg would equal Risperdal 2mg.

Does that sound right in terms of equivalency?.......Apparently, according to her, Risperdal is more potent than Thorazine.

Also, having been on Seroquel before in the past, and experiencing significant weight gain, which I have now lost, I don't especially want a repeat of the weight gain.....I have heard Risperdal can cause weight gain, but is it as bad as Seroquel in that respect?.....Do the majority of people gain weight on it?

I haven't experienced any weight gain on the Thorazine.

Also, would like to hear other people's experiences of side effects with this med, and if it helped them.....I value your opinions very much.

Thanks......:)

Edited by CrazyRedhead

hi,

i've taken both and the equivalence sounds right to me. thorazine is a lot less potent per mg. 

with side effects, when i first took risperdal i had no side effects and it was great for my psychosis. then i discontinued and restarted. i ended up having to take a higher dose and *at the higher dose* i developed prolactin issues.

i don't recall weight gain with risperdal. i think if you stay with 2 mg or thereabouts you will avoid most side effects (i took at least 10 mg)

since you posted about switching for OCD, i don't if you've tried abilify for OCD, but i have both diagnoses (OCD and sz) and i've found that 5 mg abilify has *significantly* reduced my intrusive thoughts. 

good luck with the risperdal! the one thing that you might've found on thorazine, movement issues, i found none with risperdal even at a higher dosage. 

x

Thanks so much @mellifluous,......No I haven't tried Abilify yet, mainly because of the price....But it's something I may consider for the future if nothing else works out..

I hope the low-dose Risperdal will help for now.... I guess I'll just have to try it and see.

Edited by CrazyRedhead
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Southern Discomfort said:

I do believe that there is less of a weight gain chance with risperidone in comparison to quetiapine.

I agree.

Personally, I haven't gained a ounce on the Risperdal so far, and I've been on it for about 3 weeks.....On the other hand, I put on weight fairly rapidly when I was on a low dose of Seroquel.

Fortunately, I was able to get  the Seroquel weight off pretty easily, once I was off it.

• Like 1