How long for sertraline to kick in?

Monday it will be two weeks since my pdoc increased my sertraline from 50 mg to 75 mg. We are allmost there. Shouldn't it work allready? Texted my pdoc about this but she didn't answer. Before this I was on seroxat but I couldnt deal with the sexual s/e anymore

Hi there, between 50 and 125 mg is a therapeutic dose of sertraline for depression (effect on ocd can ask for a higher dosage). It can take up to 8 weeks.  Some people do feel the effect after only two weeks (or experience a placebo effect), but another SSRI, escitalopram, is actually the only one out of the bunch which is known to kick in earlier (2-3weeks). With other words: You should give sertraline some more time ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

@Precarious Sertraline has a half life of 26 hours. You can multiply that by 5.5 to find out ROUGHLY when the medication will reach steady state, which in this case is about 6 days. If you were transitioning directly from paroxetine it shouldn't take that much longer after the 6 day mark to start to feel a difference, but if you're starting fresh from square one then it can take several weeks. In my experience, sertraline starts working pretty quickly. I notice a lot of startup effects the first week or two, stimulation. But like @Catwoman and @mcjimjam said, it can take a long time for your receptors to become desensitized after the medication reaches steady state. Don't bother even trying to gauge if it's working for you until after 2 weeks. And don't think about quitting until you've given it at least 4.