new to CB

Hi, 

I'm new to the forum although I have spent time reading content in the past and it's been helpful. 

I may edit and fill in the profile with more details later on... will post the basics.

Dx with anxiety 10 years ago, pdoc put me on 20 Celexa and Lorazepam (can't remember the dose but it was small, for breakthrough anxiety easing on to the Celexa).  Had immediate results with Celexa , a stimulating effect but not manic .  It gave me energy , not so much focus .  Tolerated for many years .  Celexa crapped out a few years back.  Wellbutrin introduced and it felt like a godsend.  A bit of anxiety and irritability with wellbutrin but lots of motivation which felt great after a slump.  Lorazepam changed to Clonazpem 1 mg at night.  I tend to waffle back and forth with effectiveness of meds and go through periods of time when they aren't as effective. A year ago despite the Wellbutrin's efficacy , returned to pdoc having issues with motivation again, and brain fog/ inability to concentrate.  Tried out Adderall IR 10 mg twice a day .  Felt like gold at first.  

Noticed a definite change in appetite when Adderall started , that and dehydration despite drinking a LOT of fluids.  Exercise was pretty normal until I would get too dehydrated and muscles would cramp up.  Started making protein shakes a few times a day and that helped a little bit but I definitely had weight loss (about 25 lbs over one year).  Sleep was iffy .. I kept the Clon at the same dose .  Added Remeron at a very small dose for breakthrough insomnia , it would help the appetite problem but it also made me very restless (this was 7.5 mg, broken in half from a 15 mg pill) .  

Adderall made me feel jittery, if I took a med holiday, the first day back on, I'd be very focused and it re-fired my interest in learning new things, reading, etc.  As a daily dose (still 20 mg) over time I'd feel jittery all over the place, I HAD to task, even if it was meaningless and not work related (kinda OCD).  Doc suggested we try Adderall 20 mg extended release.  Developed a LOT of nausea and it could be coincidental , but a LOT of mucus .  I'd have to stand over the sink and hack up clear phlegm every morning.  Switched back to IR and the mucus/nausea went away.  

That's where things stand right now.  Adderall gives a nice boost for the first few days but then it's back to a fast paced multitasking instead of a sharp focus.  However it helps the brain fog immensely.

Currently having to seek out a new pdoc due to insurance changes , will be thankful for a new set of eyes .  The weight loss and dehydration are still tough issues despite efforts to alleviate them.  

I'd like to add that the weight loss / dehydration is chronic now (weight leveled out a bit) , I've lost quite a bit of muscle and am easily fatigued.  I'm going in for a full eval with a primary care physician to check labs, blood pressure (which has been quite low, 90/48 which is low, even for me) , also check nutrition status as I suspect I have some malnourishment and issues related to dehydration .  I take multivitamins and mix protein powder in drinks , choice of exercise is swimming at least three times a week .  

Welcome to CB!

Adderall made me jittery too, but can take other stimulants without the same effects. Stimulants are also notorious for suppressing appetites, which has caused me some blood sugar mishaps. It can be difficult to balance meds and diet/nutrition.having ADHD and taking a med that kills my appetite, I find myself using coping skills like timers and notes to remind myself to eat as well as eating small meals and snacks throughout the day (instead of 3 big meals).

Welcome to Crazyboards - I hope you find what you're looking for here.

The mucus side effect for Adderall is not one I've personally experienced. You might consider talking to your doctor about a trial of Vyvanse instead. I have found it has the effect of Adderall with a smoother touch - not so many side effects.