CrazyBoards.org

Maybe I'm not bipolar

I drink when I'm manic.  But...does the alcohol cause the mania or does the mania cause the drinking?  I know in the past I've had periods of time where I did things I regret, but I wasn't classically manic at the time, ie not sleeping etc...  But mix alcohol into the mix and WHAM...no sleeping, calling people at odd hours, generally just being a pain in the ass.

Now that I'm on meds, I can drink and nothing bad happens.  So I guess that means something.  I just don't what!

Wanting to drink and party are signs for me that I'm getting manic. Those are the early signs. Then comes the onslaught...

I think acceptance of that issue and dealing with it in some sort of therapy is your best bet. It helped me to see the pattern and catch it.

My husband and I both used to drink a lot....difference is HE had BP and I didn't.

I would get drunk, and eventually pass out. He would get drunk, get agitated and not sleep, then drink more....etc...

Alcohol never made me manic...but it did make my manic husband worse. Plus, alcohol use CAN be a form of self medication. Meaning you don't feel right, so you drink to make yourself feel better.

In other words, the alcohol isn't the cause, but it sure isn't going to help.

Thanks for the replies.  I think you are all right, it's the alcohol aggravating the bipolar.  Drinking, premedicated, would make me so wired and up.  It never made me tired or pass out.  Now that I'm on Lamictal and Abilify, I drink like a normal person.  I don't drink and drink and get all hyper.  If I drink too much, I get tired and go to bed.

Okay so I am bipolar.  The devil didn't make me do it.  DAMN!

Archived