CrazyBoards.org

I got my letter denying my claim. Talk about a trigger for depression. I haven't felt this awful in a while. Any advice for the reconsideration level? Depression is my main thing. One thing that's different now from when I first applied is I'm on six drugs instead of five. Thanks.

You need a lawyer who specializes in this stuff. And check out crazymeds. They have a section on this. They recommend some good books with some helpful forms that should help you clear your thoughts and all the stupid info they want. Your lawyer will want you to take some part in the process. WRite down EVERYTHING. Keep a journal. Write every appointment, how long you waited, how long you spent, what you talked about...how you feel, keep mood charts, talk about what doesn't get done because you feel like shit, do everything to build a case. They want to deny you. YOU have to tell them how sick you really are.

I've got a case pending for BP1/PTSD. High five. We'll win!

And more: my mom is in reconsideration, and she has huge physical problems. My father was denied his sSDI the DAY AFTER I FOUND HIS DEAD BODY. He off'ed himself and then they denied him.

Usually they will make you go to the ALJ (administrative law judge) and that person will usually rule for you. they can see with their own eyes that you are sick. so you can get those HUGE SSDI payments! because we all know that we like being sick and unable to work! oh, wait, that's just what THOSE sickos think.

I have a huge problem with THEM, for denying my very, very BP1 dad and my MS mom. I helped them both with their forms and they were done right. This time mom has a lawyer. the lawyer sucks in my opinion. if it goes to alj i may just represent her. I'm no lawyer, but I'm not stupid  ;)

nah, i'd help her find a better lawyer. they're a dime a dozen and don't get paid unless you do. my best friend got SSDI for his chrone's and Asperger's. he's a sick, sick person (not psycho, just a pooor, poor lad) and they made HIM go to ALJ.

Be prepared.

alj/ssdi denied my brother because he had been well enough to go on a "make a wish" trip to disney land six months prior.  now with all his mental problems combined with the medical he'd probably get approved but i thought that was cold.

i've heard most everyone is denied the 1st time around.  my mom is bad off enough she was approved within weeks. 

Man I can't believe how down I am about this. I KNEW there was a very good chance I would be denied. But now I'm wondering how I'm ever going to get the claim accepted. I haven't been hospitalized, don't believe in suicide and am not as bad as others who have been denied. But I just don't have the energy or capacity to work full time without anxiety and fatigue incapacitating me. How is a depressed person supposed to even get through this process. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed.

How is a depressed person supposed to even get through this process. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed.

This is the "Catch-22."  If you're really severely mentally disabled, how should you be able to successfully navigate the system, fill out forms, meet deadlines, attend interviews, etc.?  Yet these steps are so crucial to your claim.  Do you have a friend or family member who can help you?  I would strongly suggest that you get someone to help you with the process----it is quite daunting even for someone without a mental condition.

Don't give up!  If you give up, you know for sure that you will never qualify for benefits.  The fact that you have been denied does not mean that you are not disabled; rather, it means that there is not enough evidence that shows that you are disabled.  Most people are denied at Reconsideration. Reconsideration is basically viewed by most attorneys as one more step at which the SSA/DDS will deny your claim.  Yet, it is important that you meet this step as quickly as possible so as not to deny your claim. After doing this, and after getting denied, I would hire an attorney.  For more information on finding an attorney in your area, I suggest visiting the site:

http://www.crazymeds.us/ssdi.html , which has a link to the NOSSCR (including a toll-free number). The attorney will help you gather your medical records, find out what medical evidence is missing, and help work with your psychiatrist to gather the evidence needed to build your case to appeal before the ALJ (Administrative Law Judge).  It is before the ALJ that most claims are won.

In the meantime, keep seeing your pdoc regularly (at least once per month), have him/her thoroughly and legibly document your condition and the resulting functional limitations (for instance, how does it impair your activities of daily living?  concentration? social functioning?)

Another site about the documentation for mental impairments that you might want to show to your pdoc or psychologist:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.NSF/lnx/0422511005

Archived