This is really hard to explain but a few months ago when coming out of a manic episode (maybe I'm still un-dx'd bipolar) and realizing I had not been really doing anything at work and was just out spending money all the time on food, entertainment, or alcohol I was in work and was put under a lot of stress very quickly with some assigned tasks I had to take over. I felt my forehead tightening up and there was a lot of head pressure then all of a sudden I felt some sort of snap in my forehead and ever since I haven't felt the same. Since that happened I've had a lot of trouble with memory, focus, more anxiety, suicidal at times, have felt outside of my body, and get even more panicky in certain situations. When I'm at work now my brain goes into panic mode because I can't multitask like I was once able to do and I can't seem to think logically almost like whatever happened really damaged something in my brain. Has anyone ever had that happen or know what that might have been? I've been considering trying to get an MRI done just to see. I was also wondering who you see for a bipolar diagnosis? I feel like I'm already starting to get alzheimers or something at 32.

When the concern isn't blatently obvious (like.. fell out of a tree and broke an arm) everybody has a unique path towards receiving any diagnosis.

Lots of factors and variables come into play. Availability of health care? Financial considerations? Heredity and genetic predispositions? How tolerant your workplace is of missing scheduled shifts to seek treatment? At some level, regardless of the findings, every relationship you have will be affected.

It's a very cruel world in which we have to weigh the consequences when considering something so fundamental as wanting to be more healthy and productive. 

In a proper setting, the process of evaluating potential mental health concerns includes ruling out everything else that might be a contributing factor to the diminishing quality of life. 

Is it possible the mood variations are thyroid related? Is it possible that work or life stress led to something aneurysm or stroke related? These are things that tests exist for.

Mental illness is more about identifying symptoms and placing them into columns of options until enough symptoms appear in any column. Often, it's not very obvious. If there isnt a dramatic event to provoke the symptoms, mental illness tends to evolve slowly. If you do not have a lengthy relationship with the medical professional the unavailability of medical history is an obstacle. There is a trust factor involved. Until the symptoms progress, it is often difficult to identify the existence of an impairment. 

I know. You want help. You need help. You are confused. Life is falling apart. Relationships are in jeopardy. Everything is confusing chaos. Just make it stop, right?

A proper diagnosis requires an abundance of time.. and money. When the symptoms are piling up, the frustrations are multiplying, and life is getting more stressful and complicated by trying to balance it all, it can be extremely overwhelming to balance everything. 

It becomes a big tangled knot. 

So, what are your options? What resources do you have available? How tolerant is your workplace of medical concerns? HIPPA this? FMLA that.. let me rephrase.. How forgiving is your workplace of medical related absense? It is an important question because quality of care is just as important as availability. 

The option of walking in to a mental health clinic seems appealing because they will test for everything else first.. but, personally.. I think the most practical way to approach things would be to see your general health practitioner (whoever is listed on your insurance card that you are supposed to get a yearly physical from), say you have concerns about something neurological, and ask for a referral. If the brain-snap episode is what lit the fuse of anxiety over what happened, or what could be happening, let that be your starting point. The more information you provide, the more focused the treatment (and subsequent referral) is likely to be.

Spending money, or questionable decision making, may or may not be a symptom of hypomania. Manic people being under-productive at work? Leads me to think that I am being fooled by this post.

If you said you stole a cop car and broke into the mall at midnight, left $1000 on the store counter, and grabbed sweaters for your neighbors goldfish because winter is coming and you want them to be cozy.. then ripped the oversized sweaters apart, re-stitched them into a new shape to offer them to the gerbils powering your laptop after realizing your neighbor (and his fish) moved out 3 years ago.. well, I would certainly be offering different advice. I don't pass judgement. The mind melts in wierd ways. That example would qualify as my level of manic at the fullest extent of my impulsiveness.

Seriously though, everything will depend on the degree to which your concerns are affecting the overall quality of your life. I value my memory. That would be a very legitimate issue to look into. Especially at your age.

It may be helpful to do some research to see what else might be going on in terms of causing similar brain concerns in others. 

Researching within the forum will likely lead you over to the proud tinfoil hat army. (I am occasionally a soldier in those ranks). From that perspective, I'm thinking if it was stress induced psychosis, unless you are intentionally tip-toeing into this realm with new member insecurities, there would be far more to your description. 

I would save any mental health related diagnosis as last in line for where to place responsibility for your expressed concerns. Unless it's obvious, probably best not to open Pandora's box searching for easy answers. The majority of us who sought solutions there, found only riddles instead. But, hey.. with good company like we have in this corner of the internet, its not so horrible.

• Like 1