CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
madmax15

Asking for my apartment number?!

I was in the lift in my apartment building just recently and someone who I didn't know was in the lift with me asked what apartment I'm in? I replied "why do you need to know that?" then they replied "I'm just trying to be polite and friendly" I told him in the end because I didn't want to make enemies with him.

I now regret that I told him because we live in a bad neighbourhood and he might break in and rob me or worse. I'm actually losing sleep over this?! Am I being paranoid?!

Edited by madmax15

I can't say whether you are paranoid in the clinical sense, but in the everyday layman sense, it does sound paranoid. Asking what apartment someone lives in sounds like something I would do and then I'd follow up by telling them my apartment. It's just a way of being friendly and getting to know your neighbors. Nothing sinister about it.

• Like 1

I think you're ok, max. A neighbor in the elevator is quite likely to ask a question like that. I've had that conversation when I lived in apartment buildings. 

3 hours ago, Gearhead said:

I think you're ok, max. A neighbor in the elevator is quite likely to ask a question like that. I've had that conversation when I lived in apartment buildings. 

Would of there been a way of not giving my apartment number without being rude?! -coz I can't think of one!

3 hours ago, madmax15 said:

Would of there been a way of not giving my apartment number without being rude?! -coz I can't think of one!

Would "none of your damn business, fuck off" be too rude?

I'm joking. Seriously, I would just say that I don't give out my apartment number and leave it at that. He might think it's a little odd, but I don't think that it is rude.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Would "none of your damn business, fuck off" be too rude?

See it's a catch 22 because IF he gets upset at me for not giving my apartment number he could later run into me by accident and see what apartment i'm in anyway?!

Edited by madmax15

I would probably answer with something like, "I live on floor 4" or whatever general descriptor is accurate. My apartment complex has several 2 story buildings arranged in a U shape. When I first moved here, people I saw coming and going (like checking my mail or in the laundry room) would ask me which apartment I was in, and I would just say something like, "I live in the apartment over there" and point in the general direction towards my specific apartment. Eventually I realized that people were just being friendly and that this was normal getting to know your neighbors conversation around here. But I grew up in a large city on the East Coast US and currently live in a fairly small city on the West Coast, so I'm not used to chatting with neighbors, but here it's common. 

6 hours ago, madmax15 said:

See it's a catch 22 because IF he gets upset at me for not giving my apartment number he could later run into me by accident and see what apartment i'm in anyway?!

Here's the thing, madmax: You can't go around suspecting your neighbors of being serial killers without being viewed as someone who is strange and unfriendly. Neighbors make small talk and discuss which apartments they are in. If you don't want to join in, that's fine, but expect to be viewed accordingly.`

I think it'sokay to not want to give out your apartment number.  I would also try to be vague but friendly (if it's important for you to be friendly ). Or you could deflect by asking where the other person lives.  But it also sounds to me like just friendly chit-chat among neighbors. 

It's hard to remember that not everyone sucks.:P

I live downtown in a second floor walk-up with 5 units, so we all know each other's unit #. It's a secured building with video surveillance on the back parking lot and entrance and front entrance where the lobby is. (You can't get into the building at all unless you have a ket) If someone gets locked out, it's a pain in the ass, especially in winter, so it's easiest to just buzz someone and go "Hey its so and so from unit 2, can you let me in?" and I'll ask what entrance they're at, and go make sure it is so and so from unit 2, and open the door..

If its night or weekend and you get locked out, its $10-25 to call the landlord to get let in, but you get one free save. During the day, the office is across the street, they let you in no charge, as a courtesy, we just buy them a coffee. My one neighbour kept getting drunk down the street forgetting her keys, then getting locked out, so she'd leave me gift cards or cash, or chocolate or whatever in my mailbox.. so I had no problem. I could look out my window to see the back entrance anyways.

I don't give people I don't know or run into at 7-11 or Timmies my unit number or building number. Say I'm buying or selling something online, or meeting someone, I just say I live on whatever street south, meet me at Timmies, my apartment is hard to find. (It isn't, but parking is) 

This is Canada, though. Most of the time, we don't lock our doors.

Remember the "FRIENDS" episode where Ross moves into an apartment and they ask him to contribute $50 for a Party for the Handy man of the apartment building because was leaving. 
Anyway Ross wouldn't give the $50 because he didn't know him and he's new to the building. His neighbours were bitter and angry towards him after that and turned into his enemies!

Edited by madmax15

I never watched "Friends" but "Friends" is fiction. Madmax, you can't live your life like everybody is going to turn into an enemy. It's a hell of a way to live and a poor outlook on the world. Most people are decent people.

UPDATE: Ran into that guy again in the elevator a few minutes ago before writing this post and he said to me "Don't talk to me you were rude to me last time!"

I was left speechless!

Edited by madmax15
Mistakes