I have found that quite often, possibly more frequently over the last year, I get overwhelmed by an impression of sensory overload. It's like my brain just doesn't want to take on any more information or input in any form and only wants to lie quietly in a dark room, staring at the ceiling and not thinking of anything.

Do you experience this? Do you have any thoughts on why it might be occurring, and how to manage it?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

yes, i have this happen.

i can't say why, but it definitely feels like i'm overstimulated. 

stress makes it worse

i think if i were better at managing stress it wouldn't occur as often

i'm sorry i don't have more to offer in terms of management, but i can relate to what you describe. xx

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself blankly starring at the wall or through words on pages or through the tv..I find it gets worse with stress..

I don't know the cause or how to manage it..I've never brought it up to pdoc...it kinda escapes my mind when I'm there

Overstimulation is common. 

When autism was first being understood, it was classified as Childhood Onset Schizophrenia in the DSM. It's now clear the spectrums aren't related pathologically, but they share some features. One is difficulty with sensory processing. If a person is on the Sz spectrum, s/he will likely have issues with sense perception, overstimulation, distortion, increase or decrease in intensity of perception, etc. Grounding exercises can help a lot.

When I'm symptomatic I perceive my surroundings in an intense way. It's like everything is brighter and pops out more than when I'm not exhibiting symptoms. It can be overwhelming at times and it draws attention away from other things like listening to others.

1 hour ago, Swamp56 said:

When I'm symptomatic I perceive my surroundings in an intense way. It's like everything is brighter and pops out more than when I'm not exhibiting symptoms. It can be overwhelming at times and it draws attention away from other things like listening to others.

This happens to me too. 

Also the getting overwhelmed and overstimulated. 

• 3 weeks later...