My pulmonary Function test I had done August 24th 2017 was normal my Dr. just called minutes ago which is good news but Why am I so tired at night and having problems with my Breathing at times I question that and thought they'd tell me I have to have a sleep study done to see if I have sleep apnea but to my surprise they didn't say anything about having to have that done. My Question is do I get  a second opinion or just go with it that everything was Normal?

So, the fact that you're posting this is very coincidental as I just had a sleep study done and got my results today.  

I am wondering what a Pulmonary exam has to do with sleep apnea?  Maybe nothing.  I'm not sure.

If I were you I'd really push to get a sleep study.  its so important.  If I remember correctly you have posted before about weight struggles.  I have the same issue. Sleep apnea can cause you to GIAN WEIGHT and make it a lot harder to lose.  

I hope you can get a sleep study.  My apnea is terribly severe and its very dangerous.  

yes I posted before about having  a hard time losing weight I know in my mind for sure I Have Sleep apnea so do my Parents I make a lot of noise while sleeping and just recently got over Breathing issues having a hard time catching my breathe. I will see about a sleep study and mention that I may have sleep apnea just need it verified and I am surprised I haven't had a sleep study done. Next time they call me about my lab results I will ask them about having  a sleep study done or ask them if its possible to have sleep apnea. I wondered the same thing what a Pulmonary test has to do with sleep apnea I guess when I told them I was having breathing problems they wanted to have my Lungs checked and that's where the Pulmonary Test comes in. Have you had a sleep study done as well? Is it bothersome and can you move around without getting caught in the cords and everything? I always thought my meds were the cause of me being fat and causing me to gain weight that's why I didn't pursue the sleep apnea problem that I have. I take Abilify5mg and Lexapro10mg but I highly doubt it now that the meds are the cause of this much weight gain I have gained a lot my mom thinks I am even bigger now but I am the same weight I was 6 months ago. But I do feel bigger my clothes are tighter yet I haven't gained anymore weight I am staying at 210 which is close to the heaviest weight I have ever been I want to lose so bad and get down to a normal size and normal weight for my height which is 5ft4 and a quarter just shy of 5'5" I would love to weight the weight I am meant to be which is 120 pounds for my height and Body type 120 is perfect but I am a long way from that weight and nothing I seem to do will help me lose and even if I have a sleep study done how can I start losing weight if sleep apnea made me gain in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

going to talk to my Dr. tomorrow about having sleep apnea and having a sleep study done he should of recommended one the last time I was there with Breathing issues and not being able to catch my breath also I will have to ask for my Lab results from the third time I gave blood and its been over 2 weeks and still I haven't gotten my Lab Results why is it taking so long??

I am losing what patience I have! For a week my breathing got a little better at night well it was tolerable but It comes and goes after about a week of breathing fairly normal it comes back where I am again gasping for air and having to sit up in the bed or prop my head up on three pillows I pray every night to make it through the night which isn't good its scary when you cant even catch your breath or it takes a long time to get air into my Lungs and out.

I know and everyone around me knows me to have sleep apnea my mom has it but not this severe. I will make an appointment tomorrow to discuss sleep apnea and a sleep study with my Dr. and go from there. I also have a dentist appointment tomorrow and I am scared I wont be able to get through it because they lay you almost flat on your back in their dentist chair afraid of not being able to catch my breath if they lay me back to much Should I tell them that here lately I have been having breathing problems or wing it and see if I can get through a teeth cleaning?

wearing  a heart monitor right now Doctors Orders I take it off tomorrow Morning as far as sleep apnea goes my Doctor prescribed a medicine to help open up my airways in my Lungs and if this doesn't help after 2 weeks of this medicine called Singular Then my Doctor will order a sleep study to be done to determine if I have sleep apnea or not. Everyone keeps telling me that I have sleep apnea because I sleep long hours at night 12 to 15 and still am exhausted when I wake up in the morning and I also snore loudly and make all kinds of gasping sounds and animal noises according to my mom and dad. Will keep everyone posted on what is found out if I have to have  asleep study done then if this med helps I may not have to have a  sleep study done. I will have to wait and see how this medicine works

Given what you have posted, I'd bet money that you have sleep apnea. I'm not sure why your doctor is putting off the sleep study. Singulair is an asthema medicine and I'm sure that they would detect asthema on the sleep study.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

It does sound like sleep apnea but it might be an additional thing too, possibly. I had the breathing issues and gasping awake at night, normal pulmonary tests. So the pulmonary Dr guessed it was reflux or gerd causing acid to come up and get aspirated in my sleep, causing the breathing issues. For me, that was the case so I started meds and that corrected things in a short time. It's more common in heavy people. You can have it along with sleep apnea, is why I mention it, because they might want to screen you for both. I am not making a diagnosis, just passing on my experience since my story seems to sound similar to what you've been through. Sometimes people can have multiple issues or difficult to diagnose issues.  I had no idea I had gerd, I thought it was asthma or sleep apnea. Actually I saw 2 pulmonary Drs and a GP, only one got the right diagnosis. Good luck getting to the bottom of things, sleep apnea or whatever it is. 

• Like 1

@sugarsugarthanks I also do have acid reflux but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to I hope this medicine the Dr. prescribed for me works and I may not have to have a sleep study done keeping my fingers crossed that this medicine called singular helps after about two weeks I only been on it a week too early to tell if its helping or not well see