CrazyBoards.org

Somatic Experiencing

I had my first go at somatic experiencing this morning. I've seen a few threads here mentioning it, but nothing seems to have been posted in the last month or two, so I thought I'd just start a new thread.

My tdoc pushed this, and I trust her as much as I trust anyone (you can read that statement anyway you want to  ;) ). The SE practitioner (SEP) I went to see is way out in the country, on a farm, with horses, dogs, cats and a beautiful view of the Vermont mountains. I mention this because I felt very safe there. It was quiet (I'm from NYC, so quiet is very important to me) and she was quiet and open. By contrast, I saw a naturopathic doctor a few weeks back who told me exactly what I was going to do; she left out the part about my not coming back to see her a second time.

When I spoke with the SEP on the phone, she mentioned taking things deliberately, slowly. That felt reassuring - no stopwatch running on trauma recovery. Today she asked me questions, going back to memories (no major trauma memories), and then asked me about my body sensations in the moment. In which part of his body is that little boy feeling scared? How did your body feel during those minutes of joy listening to that Michigan radio station in 1989? Memories came up and my body experienced certain sensations in various places.

I'm going back to see her in two weeks (and she has a sliding scale  :) ). I'm hoping that this helps, that my tdoc is right, that this is a viable therapy.

I'm hoping...

I saw a naturopathic doctor a few weeks back who told me exactly what I was going to do; she left out the part about my not coming back to see her a second time.
Way to go, F1! That cracked me up. Without jacking you're thread, I've seen a dozen docs in the past year for a spinal problem, 2 of them were like this person...I had the same feeling while they were spouting off.

What is somatic experiencing, compared to plain ole' hypnosis, and going *back*, that way?

S9

What is somatic experiencing, compared to plain ole' hypnosis, and going *back*, that way?

I'm not certain what the difference is between SE and hypnosis, since I've never been (able to be) hypnotized, but I suspect it's similar. What SE isn't is re-experiencing that trauma. I've re-experienced my traumas every day of my life, thank you very much. "Somatic experiencing" may just be a fancy way of saying "being present." I'm so used to checking out, physically and mentally. When the session was over (it lasted about an hour), I felt very relaxed and grounded.

There's a book about trauma and SE called Waking the Tiger that's been mentioned elsewhere on this board. I've read bits and pieces, but books and me aren't getting along these days. Too hard to focus.

And jacking my own thread (not really), I visited a pdoc a few years ago who had the same attitude this naturopath did: let's get down to business and fix you, and, by the way, I know everything. Never saw him again, either. Coincidentally, his office is the one above my tdoc's office. Whenever I talk about someone behaving badly/arrogantly, I just point up at the ceiling.

And jacking my own thread (not really), I visited a pdoc a few years ago who had the same attitude this naturopath did: let's get down to business and fix you, and, by the way, I know everything. Never saw him again, either. Coincidentally, his office is the one above my tdoc's office. Whenever I talk about someone behaving badly/arrogantly, I just point up at the ceiling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fight the Power!

I am a total advocate for questioning authority. Which is probably why my high school senior is on the edge of graduating. Way long story, but like I told him and mentioned in my springer thread: We took the red pill...

Good luck with your endeavors...I hear you on re-experiencing. When I was having a recent PTSD episode, my tdoc was suggesting something to me, and I said, "I'm not going back there, AGAIN." I have been back there as often as I'm going to go back. He was, is, so cool. He said, "no, I'm not suggesting we need to go back and untie and retie anything, I just want you to look at *this* in the NOW."

Okay, THAT I can and am willing to do.

Hypnosis was awful for me, it was more traumatic than the trauma itself!

I'm cool with the monsters today. But it's been a long time, both since I was traumatized and since I have been on the yellow brick road of reclamation.

Archived