Hello from a sporadic long time lurker of these boards. To give you some context I have diagnoses for Depression, ADHD and OCD although the latter doesn’t trouble me too much anymore. Now there’s one symptom in particular I am struggling with at the moment and I’m not sure which bit of my oddness it originates in. Sensory overload feels like the best descriptor; it can be any of the senses in any combination and doesn’t have anything in specific that triggers it. Sometimes it’s a very minor issue but it can get bad enough that I get a bit ‘flappy’ and can’t process anything else for a while, even someone talking to me. I asked my therapist (when I had one) about it but they sort of brushed it off so I don’t have much of an idea about why It happens or how to deal with it other than flapping and running away from the trigger like some sort of coked up goose.

So any ideas would be appreciated! Also I hope it is OK for me to ask for advice when I have never been, nor likely to be in the future, able to offer much in the way of wisdom to others here.

Hi. I have depression and (undiagnosed) anxiety . I also have sensory overload very often.  I am realizing that I need A LOT of structure. And I need a tremendous amount of down time and regular naps. (I sound like an infant)! Otherwise just about anything can overwhelm me. 

On 04/09/2017 at 2:05 PM, amskray said:

Hi. I have depression and (undiagnosed) anxiety . I also have sensory overload very often.  I am realizing that I need A LOT of structure. And I need a tremendous amount of down time and regular naps. (I sound like an infant)! Otherwise just about anything can overwhelm me. 

Well if you are an infant you have an amazing grasp of language! Thank you for your reply Amskray i'm sorry this bothers you too, do you think you become overwhelmed more due to the anxiety or the depression? Sadly my ADHD makes me terrible at both structure and downtime but i suspect if i could manage to relax it would help, at least temporarily. Had another episode at the cinema today… I couldn’t even say what set it off but the end result was be squatting in the corner with my eyes shut and hands clamped over my ears. This probably would have been okay in the dark however I hadn’t actually made it to the movie yet and was in the middle of the foyer embarrassing my poor sister.