How were/are your grades in school?

Mine were pretty mediocre, I barely graduated High School and if it wasn't discovered that I was suicidal, I would have failed a grade. What was weird was that several of my teachers just let me pace back and forth in class and let me do my own thing while class was in session.

I am waaay out of HS and college...but my grades were above average. There were times in college where I got a few bad grades but overall i did well. But it was never good enough for me. I always thought I was dumb.

I would say that MI *can* effect grades in school but not necessarily. 

• Like 1

I was pretty depressed throughout HS and it was untreated. I'm actually a HS dropout.

I went to college though based on SAT scores, and while I struggled with depression I also eventually received treatment that helped (not 100%, but substantially), including both AD and an ADHD dx that got me access to stims. I had a psychological assessment done while I was in college that gave me accommodations to lower my stress/anxiety around tests as well as somewhere quiet/less distracting to do tests rather than in the classroom. I graduated in 5 years with around 3.8 overall and a 4.0 in my major (engineering). 

I'm 6 years out of school now. My depression has since gone careening out of control including multiple hospitalizations and ECT that didn't work. I've taken extended short-term disability leave/time off work for it. My work has been supportive and given me the time off even though they're small enough that FMLA doesn't apply and they are not legally obligated to. I seem to, largely, meet or exceed their expectations even though I am generally unhappy with my performance. It's hard to tell how unreasonable my expectations are because I *know* I can do better.

I don't expect many people to have my experience. It has been a problem when trying to get providers to understand the extent of my illness because I can manage to look like I'm keeping it all together. I live alone and the things that slip as my MI ebbs and flows are generally things that aren't noticed (e.g. housework, some hygiene, eating) because no one is close enough to see.

My GPA in college was a 4.0

Highschool was a different story. The last year, I did Itinerant Alternative schooling. They gave me all the work at once and I just had to show up to the actual school for 10 hours per course and could do all the work at home. There were no exams which really helped me. The teacher would show your mark with everything affecting it, including the work that had not yet been done. So when I found out that I had a 50% in English, I just quit doing the work as it was a pass. The other classes, I quit doing the work when I found out I had roughly 60% 

12 hours ago, jt07 said:

My grades were ok. My attendance was not.

I second this.

I'll add that when I was first ill, and did not know my limits and I got a lot of W's because I had to drop class after class. Once I did figure out what I was capable of though, my grades went back to what they were. I just had to take less classes and use the disability service. ADHD meds helped me with attendance later on.

I managed to maintain good grades in high school while my depression had episodes. I worked very hard between episodes and I was able to keep my grades up. By university there wasn't any time in between and the depression had become severe enough that I couldn't handle going to class, working on assignments or studying. My grades were terrible. I graduated, but barely

• Like 1

I performed very well in primary school.  Was actually always finishing before everyone else (well, that's a strong criterion of intelligence in Western countries, I guess).  And was creative and loved learning.  It just got worse and worse as my (probable) undiagnosed Aspergers/severe bullying started affecting me more and more and I developed a load of mental health disorders.  I did pretty well in high school, considering how bad my attendance/concentration was, anyway.  I was not involved with school at all, though, in a real sense, was just hiding away in the background wishing more than anything that I was invisible. I was like a piece of adolescent furniture or something, haha. I was actually too petrified to even cough or sneeze in class, and couldn't really walk down school corridors. ;)

I have a lot of sadness and regret at how a failure to have all this dealt with early screwed me up and stopped me from even being able to attempt further education, but, who doesn't have resentment like that in their life? I'm so glad I'm studying with a Distance Learning University now, even if people sneer at it and ask me why I didn't go to a 'real' university...

Edited by theredthread

I got straight As until 7th grade, when I got a C in English for having terrible handwriting (and I was trying really hard, guys). I was in a creative and performing arts high school, so I had a major (Creative Writing, then Costume Design). I basically got all As in my major(s), but barely scraped by in math. I either did very well or very poorly in subjects, depending upon how much I liked the material and/or teacher. In college, I maintained a 3.0 average to keep a scholarship. I don't know how I did it. Before my final semester, I was pretty close to a 3.25, and I wanted to keep my options open for grad school (many require a 3.25 or higher from undergraduate work to accept you). I somehow pulled off getting straight As my final semester (while working full time!), and I bumped my average up to a 3.27. 

• Like 1

I always did well in school, even when I was a suicidal anxious wreck in the rest of my life. I graduated with honors from a top 20 university. For me, it was always relationships and things like housework and self-care that suffered. Like, I would do my homework sitting propped up in my bed because it was the only clear space in my room. That was how bad I was at keeping up with housework. Like Geek, it made it difficult for me to get professionals to realize how bad off I was because apparently, the fact that I had a good GPA meant I couldn't actually be suicidal. 

It might be worth noting, that I currently am diagnosed with bipolar, although I did not get this diagnosis until about 5 years after graduating. I was only being treated for depression at the time. Most of the type when I've been hypomanic, I am also hyper-productive, so this balanced things out some. But I've always been able to keep myself functioning okay at school (and now work) unless I'm really, really badly off. 

Edited by thunder

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in school several times. When I was drinking plus unstable, I ended up with low grades or taking incompletes. Later I learned to adapt and got passing but not good grades. Next time I was a wreck but somehow got excellent grades, maybe due to subjects I liked better. Now I'm in school again and mainly stable, working hard to focus but getting A's. So I've been all over with grades. Partly it depends on the subject. I tried to learn a language when manic, what a disaster, but maybe I was too old for that to be a success anyway. Why am I in school again, I sometimes wonder, but I hope it opens more job options if I can keep doing well and complete the degree.