Would You?: Keeping photos of an ex on your phone?

I was reading a question from the relationship subreddit on, of course, Reddit to my fiancé.

He mentions that sometimes people DO keep photos of an ex on their phone, which I kinda don't get if they have Facebook...isn't that kinda the point? Wouldn't you want to delete them so you don't get all hurt feelings again? Photos of the two of you, MAYBE. But just them? He says maybe to remember the good times you did have. Or if you were married to them and had kids, cause you still love them (that makes a LITTLE more sense, my dad still loves my mother, they were married and had me. He still loves the mother of his son, no matter what bad shit my mom did to my dad, or my fiancé's ex did to him, I get it. and children make a stronger bond in a marriage, IMO at least.)

So what do yall think?

I still keep a few photos of my ex, especially the ones with her and the kids, but not on my phone. I would find them too difficult to look at on a regular basis. And if I were in a new relationship I think keeping such pictures around where the new SO would be confronted with them frequently would be counterproductive to building the relationship. The exception might be, as you say, with a former spouse with whom one had had children, if the images were in the context of the family. The reality of that situation is that the ex is in fact still family by virtue of the children. A new SO is always going to have to come to grips with that as part of a blended family. But if you're keeping photos of an ex that you're still carrying a torch for, that's not good, and the new SO might have reason for doubt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I still keep a few photos of my ex, especially the ones with her and the kids, but not on my phone. I would find them too difficult to look at on a regular basis. And if I were in a new relationship I think keeping such pictures around where the new SO would be confronted with them frequently would be counterproductive to building the relationship. The exception might be, as you say, with a former spouse with whom one had had children, if the images were in the context of the family. The reality of that situation is that the ex is in fact still family by virtue of the children. A new SO is always going to have to come to grips with that as part of a blended family. But if you're keeping photos of an ex that you're still carrying a torch for, that's not good, and the new SO might have reason for doubt.

Yeah he just said that even if he and I were to break up, he would have a photo of me on his phone, even. I just find it odd, and I also meant like a photo of you two together, not necessarily the family.

IMO, I wouldn't wanna. It would hurt too much. I mean hell, my dad asks about my mom from time to time. She IS my mom, and they WERE married for 11 years.

And there are times I kinda...facebook stalk my exes out of boredom, LOL.

I wouldn't intentionally keep a photo of an ex on my phone long term, but when my boyfriend and I broke up, it's not like I went through and purged my photos of him either. So I likely would have had photos for a while until I was next downloading/deleting photos anyway. I don't really save photos on my phone for sentimental purposes or anything. I just use it to take pictures if I don't have my good camera with me.