homocidal dreams making me crazy

Lately I've been having terribly awful and violent nightmares that usually involve me dying or being murdered. They haven't bothered me before but recently I noticed I've had a couple passing homicidal thoughts maybe because of my dreams, not that I would ever act on them, ever. Just this morning I was in the elevator with this chick and had a passing thought "What if someone stabbed her, I wonder if they would be caught easily? What if I stabbed her?" then images of a bloody elevator entered my mind as I exited onto my floor. I would never even consider acting on any of these kind of thoughts but am wondering if it's related to my nightmares, because just last night I dreamt about a hammer being smashed through my face in a parking garage after after talking to this guy about his adderall prescription (this is all in my nightmare). Then after the hammer smashing into my head, I had this power to somehow rewind time and make a decision to not go into the parking garage, but the same guy still ended up murdering me at a fruit stand. I'm wondering if dreams like this are normal? I'm guessing no, but am concerned that I'm having disturbing these disturbing thoughts while awake. I just think they might be related as I had the nightmare described above last night and the homicidal thought this morning. Could it be after thoughts of the dream still lingering? They're really beginning to disturb me and make me think about the details of the incidents in my nightmares throughout the day. I'm wondering if anyone else has had nightmares that revolve around you being killed or murdered violently. I hope anyone doesn't think I'm a maniac or psychopath or anything, and I want to stress again I would never turn any homicidal thought into action, I'm just asking for some help here or info about these nightmares

I don't think it makes you a psychopath at all. If you are disturbed by your nightmares, you become preoccupied with them and they bleed over into life. It doesn't mean you'd act on the thoughts. 

Regardless, do talk to your therapist about it because they may be able to help you calm down and put your mind at ease. I talked to my therapist about violent urges I thought I'd never act on, and it really helped. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no doctor, so I can't give medical advice, but one might prescribe an antipsychotic for you. You don't have to be a serial killer to take it. I've wanted to crush people's skulls that I thought were stupid, like men who beat their wives, but that doesn't mean I'd actually do it. But please consider asking for medication because wanting to stab an innocent person in an elevator is not normal imho. Best of luck. 

• 2 months later...