Please share experiences with TYPICAL antipsychotics

Hey folks,

Was wondering if you could share your TYPICAL antipsychotic experiences, please and thank you. I have had limited positive use with Nozinan, Haldol. I'd like to try loxapine, as I read about it's positive, low dose use. I tried chlorpromazine, with just side effects. I wonder if the extended release spansules work better. Orap looks interesting. Comments and experience welcome please. :)

i've taken a number of them. loxapine was fine until i discontinued it. thorazine i maxed out on too quickly.

i could go through one by one, but i'd say overall my experiences (from pills to depot injections):

• i didn't gain weight and they were less sedating than atypicals.
  • i always got EPS side effects that had to be managed with propranolol or cogentin

i did have a few particularly bad experiences...i had a dystonic reaction once and i got akathisia VERY badly with prolixin depot.

low dosage may well avoid the negative side effects.

stelazine worked well... shit, there's another one...navane! that also worked well for me. prolixin and then haldol depot for two years (not my choice...court order) probably was the most stabilizing thing i've had happen to me in a good ten years.

they work, but aren't without their issues at higher dosages. so, again, if you're taking low dosage, i think it could be a really good fit.

is there a reason you're avoiding atypicals? not that i'm questioning avoiding them...they bring their own baggage into the mix. just curious.

Tardive Dyskinesia is higher in typicals, can be permanent, and is usually disfiguring as it involves the face and mouth. It also can be occult as AP's tend to suppress it  It is seen as you  withdraw from the typical. I think dystonia is more common in typicals, I've had a few reactions. Torticollis, and an Oculogyric crisis.

9 hours ago, mellifluous said:

i've taken a number of them. loxapine was fine until i discontinued it. thorazine i maxed out on too quickly.

i could go through one by one, but i'd say overall my experiences (from pills to depot injections):

• i didn't gain weight and they were less sedating than atypicals.
  • i always got EPS side effects that had to be managed with propranolol or cogentin

i did have a few particularly bad experiences...i had a dystonic reaction once and i got akathisia VERY badly with prolixin depot.

low dosage may well avoid the negative side effects.

stelazine worked well... shit, there's another one...navane! that also worked well for me. prolixin and then haldol depot for two years (not my choice...court order) probably was the most stabilizing thing i've had happen to me in a good ten years.

they work, but aren't without their issues at higher dosages. so, again, if you're taking low dosage, i think it could be a really good fit.

is there a reason you're avoiding atypicals? not that i'm questioning avoiding them...they bring their own baggage into the mix. just curious.

I am looking into Navane and Stelazine. I am done with the atypicals. Maxed em all out over 15 or so years.They also proved very ineffective...sometimes...well often, making symptoms worse..much so. I developed type 2 diabetes thanks to them, and put on almost 100 pds, which I thankfully lost (thanks to a diet of life-event stress.:(  ) I have had a positive experience with Nozinan. It is not available in the US, but I am in Canada. It is a low potency typical antipsychotic, with amazing strong sedative properties. I have been on up to 500mg of it..no EPS, TD, dystonia, nothing like those. They kill a manic, in my case dysphoric, spree within a half hour of taking. None of the atypicals, at max doses, can do this. So, that is my experience. I am encouraged by the STAR-D (sp?) which showed no advantage in atypicals over typicals. Thanks.

Jay

8 hours ago, notloki said:

Tardive Dyskinesia is higher in typicals, can be permanent, and is usually disfiguring as it involves the face and mouth. It also can be occult as AP's tend to suppress it  It is seen as you  withdraw from the typical. I think dystonia is more common in typicals, I've had a few reactions. Torticollis, and an Oculogyric crisis.

Well, depends on the dose. At higher doses, atypicals can cause TD as well. Same goes with dystonia, EPS, etc. STAR-D maps this out quite well. And it was the years of typical over-dosing that gave them that stigma. I have used Nozinan, a low potency typical available here in Canada, at way above usual doses for breaking dysphoric manic spells for years. I am just looking, for one reason, to widen my arsenal. The atypicals, by comparison, caused just as much dystonia and EPS in slightly than higher doses. STAR-D showed no advantage of atypicals over typicals, used dose per dose. Hope that clarifies. Jay.

53 minutes ago, Swamp56 said:

I've tried 2 so far: perphenazine and loxapine. Both gave me akathisia and I had to discontinue them before they reached therapeutic levels :( . I'm not able to take anticholinergics (cognitive side effects) and propranolol didn't do much.

Have you tried them at lower than suggested theraputic levels? Apparently they work just as well.

Jay

50 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

I use Thorazine but more as a rescue drug than a daily 

Is that chloropromazine? What dose do you take? Thanks. Jay.

1 hour ago, Myfavoriteheadache said:

Have you tried them at lower than suggested theraputic levels? Apparently they work just as well.

Not really - akathisia affects my ability to work, so I usually taper off any offending medication if I can't get it under control :( .

Stelazine was a miracle drug for me. It obliterated my anxiety and agoraphobia. I went from being too afraid to leave the house to do simple things like pick up meds at the pharmacy, go to the grocery store, or go to a friend's house to enjoy myself, to doing all that and then some, not just because I felt I had to, but because I WANTED to. It had a very strong anxiolytic effect, but also a very potent antidepressant effect. It made things easier for me to make my mind up on things (whereas before that was a problem for me), and seemed to really glue my brain back together. Then my pdoc wanted me off of it because it's a typical and she isn't a fan of those apparently. Sad she won't let me back on it, I did so well with it.

25 minutes ago, mikl_pls said:

Stelazine was a miracle drug for me. It obliterated my anxiety and agoraphobia. I went from being too afraid to leave the house to do simple things like pick up meds at the pharmacy, go to the grocery store, or go to a friend's house to enjoy myself, to doing all that and then some, not just because I felt I had to, but because I WANTED to. It had a very strong anxiolytic effect, but also a very potent antidepressant effect. It made things easier for me to make my mind up on things (whereas before that was a problem for me), and seemed to really glue my brain back together. Then my pdoc wanted me off of it because it's a typical and she isn't a fan of those apparently. Sad she won't let me back on it, I did so well with it.

Have you been able to switch pdocs?

On 9/9/2017 at 11:03 PM, Myfavoriteheadache said:

Did your Stelazine help with sleep? Can I ask what dose you were on? And what is your antipsychotic now? Thanks...

Stelazine did become sedating as the dose escalated, so I guess you could say it eventually did help with sleep. I started with 1 mg 2x/day, went up to 1 mg 3x/day, then went up to 2 mg 3x/day before I discontinued it.

My current antipsychotic is Abilify 10 mg.

22 hours ago, Iceberg said:

What about asendin? It's a tetracyclicad but has many properties of typicals. Way out of left field but just a thought 

I love Asendin. I wish my pdoc would have dosed me properly at a therapeutic dose of that when I tried it last. It's on my list of last resort re-visits if my few last remaining untried options fail. Very calming, soothing, tranquilizing (in a good way), and mellow.

I've been through Latuda, Saphris, Fanapt, Abilify, and Zyprexa. Of all of those, Zyprexa worked the best for me because my main issue is racing, obsessive thoughts. It really calmed me down. However, I started gaining mondo weight. My pdoc switched me to loxapine and I have never looked back. I've been curious to try Rexulti, but I haven't had a really good justification to switch.

I only take loxapine at 10mg right now, but I've taken up to 25mg. Studies indicate that loxapine acts as an atypical until you cross over the 50mg point, then it has a stronger effect on dopamine receptors than serotonin receptors and is thus more of a typical. Of those doses that I've taken it is far more tolerable than the atyicals that I took at therapeutic doses, and I feel more "normal". Less of a foggy, drugged feeling. My thoughts are clearer but they aren't going too fast for me to keep up. I would highly recommend loxapine to ANYONE who has failed on multiple atypicals.