An anti-depressant against agitation and obsessing

Hi all,

I've been thinking....lately it's going OK. I haven't seen my general doctor for about two months and I'm still on Zoloft (I dropped to 50 mg). I can manage.  There have been good days, when I feel normal and enjoy the little things. These good days are days when the intrusive thought isn't so 'loud' and frequent. I don't feel depressed in general. The stress caused by the crisis in my family is a lot less, though it's not entirely over, because new lawsuits are being filed. But, I do believe I can handle things better. I've been on a vacation with lots of sunshine and distraction and I feel much more rested.

But....the intrusive word in my mind still keeps bugging me, every day. It made its comeback in May 2016 and I still haven't managed to not feel agitated or frustrated about it. It's getting my attention. I tried all kinds of therapy (including mindfulness and meditation), but I suspect that it is a mixture of obsessing over it, brain chemistry and genetics. 

Most people with Pure O feel anxious and they are afraid they will act on their thoughts or they think these thoughts are theirs. There are techniques available to learn how to tolerate these thoughts.
I'm not scared of my 'stuck word'. It is just incredibly annoying. It bothers me when I'm working, talking to someone, petting my dog, etc.
When it appears in my mind I feel agitated. "You again?" but not with so many words.  Some days it will enter my mind 1 minute after waking up. The next day after 5 minutes. It irritates me. I wish I could stop that. It's just a thought. I think it can be compared to body focused obsessions (like breathing-ocd or eyeblinking-ocd). 

Okay, so the first two SSRI's helped me incredibly. Until they pooped out. Zoloft only seems to work on some days. Or maybe I'm doing it all on my own....
You guys might remember that I've been considering Anafranil and Prozac as well. Or going back to Luvox (it's been 10 years since it pooped out). 
Anafranil / clomipramine:  my main concern are the expected side effects.  And, is this drug really necessary? I've read lots of success stories from people with refractory OCD. But it's only a bothersome, persistent thought....
Prozac/Fluoxetine: It's an SSRI and I'm kind of afraid that Lexapro, my previous SSRI, messed things up and that is why Zoloft doesn't do the trick
(The same worry for Luvox / fluvoxamine).

I feel like a could use something really specific, which will help me stop feeling agitated, annoyed or frustrated when the intrusive word pops up in my mind. 
Is there an antidepressant which does something like that?
I know anti-psychotics are being used because agitation is a symptom with schizophrenic and psychotic disorders, but I'm not sure were talking about the same kind of agitation. 

It doesn’t sound like you have a typical OCD case - I’m no expert, but believe most people that are diagnosed with OCD have more symptoms than just an obsession with 1 word or word repetition.

How/When did this start? Did you have a specific trauma that you associate this word with? Does this 1 word trigger loads of other anxious/worrisome/disturbing thoughts, or is it like a specific song/commercial jingle or “earworm” that just gets stuck on repeat in your head?

Since your issue isn’t really a whole group of behaviors/symptoms (it seems you are not compulsive or totally agitated with racing thoughts), do you think that this symptom may be leaning toward Aspergers? Aspies are known to simply repeat words (i think because it is soothing or something - however on your end it seems to be upsetting for you).

I have heard that Prozac and Paxil are the standard 1st line treatment for OCD, but I’m not sure your issue would be enough to be classified as an OCD diagnosis. Antipsychotics like Seroquel will flatten/squash/slow down all of your thoughts in general for sure, but I'm not sure you want that. This may be weird, but have you thought about trying Hypnosis? Hypnosis is a great treatment for compulsive behaviors such as smoking, perhaps it would resolve this word obsession?

Hey, thanks for replying!

52 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

It doesn’t sound like you have a typical OCD case - I’m no expert, but believe most people that are diagnosed with OCD have more symptoms than just an obsession with 1 word or word repetition.

How/When did this start? Did you have a specific trauma that you associate this word with? Does this 1 word trigger loads of other anxious/worrisome/disturbing thoughts, or is it like a specific song/commercial jingle or “earworm” that just gets stuck on repeat in your head?

Since your issue isn’t really a whole group of behaviors/symptoms (it seems you are not compulsive or totally agitated with racing thoughts), do you think that this symptom may be leaning toward Aspergers? Aspies are known to simply repeat words (i think because it is soothing or something - however on your end it seems to be upsetting for you).

I have heard that Prozac and Paxil are the standard 1st line treatment for OCD, but I’m not sure your issue would be enough to be classified as an OCD diagnosis. Antipsychotics like Seroquel will flatten/squash/slow down all of your thoughts in general for sure, but I'm not sure you want that. This may be weird, but have you thought about trying Hypnosis? Hypnosis is a great treatment for compulsive behaviors such as smoking, perhaps it would resolve this word obsession?

It started 13/14 years. I had a panic attack when I was alone in my bedroom. I was going through some tough times with work and was extremely tired. From childhood I've been scared of dying. Not right away, but really the knowledge that this is going to happen some day. You could call it a phobia, but in daily life I wasn't scared of death at all. I wasn't avoiding funerals or agoraphobic.. It caused a panic attack once in a while, but only just before sleeping. The dark and the silence could trigger an attack of anxiety. I'm an atheist and I've always been afraid of the 'emptiness' and later the thought that a person just isn't 'there' anymore. Dissapearing, that was the thing of death that scared me most.
The day it started I had such an attack, but I knew how to calm myself down. This time though, the word 'death' didn't leave my mind. The fact that I couldn't stop thinking the word (and not the concept of death itsself) worried me. I didn't know what was going on and felt ashamed, having this bizarre thing in my mind all day.

It comes close to an earworm or stuck song indeed. The word 'death' doesn't trigger loads of disturbing thoughts, no. It does cause me to ruminate a lot. Again, not about death, but about why this word got stuck and how to get rid of it. I think this is a huge part of its persistance. 

I have to admit that I have had 'silly words' or unusual names getting stuck before, just for a while. I don't think much of these words, they aren't disturbing and go away on their own. 
No, I don't have Asperger or any other form of autism. I think, apart from the 'stuck word syndrome' I'm a very average ;-) 

I've tried hypnosis. About 11/12 years ago. I've had about 12 sessions. In hind sight I'm not sure if the hypnotherapist knew how to handle it, but she was a professional.
Every time the session ended I hoped the thought was gone and I was always dissapointed because it wasn't. I'm not sure if should give it another try.

I actually hope Prozac might be it....but it's not really a long term solution.