dentist, endodontist, oral surgeon AGHHHHHHH!!!

i'm unsure if this is the right place for this...but since it is and isn't mental health related...but then it's not NOS...

whatever, i'm putting it here 

so, to summarize my situation:

• i have a ...i don't want to say i have a fear of dentists because i LOVE getting my teeth cleaned. i have a fear of devices and fillings and shit. i'm not posting to discuss that fear...it is what it is
  • i finally went in after i broke a tooth. had x rays, cleaning, and exams
  • got told that i needed to have three root canals (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and that i would need oral sedation, due to mental health issues

fine

yesterday i call the "endodontist" i've been referred to who is all, "we don't do oral sedation here; you must go to an oral surgeon". and was asking why i need oral sedation, because a root canal is basically a filling...i declined to go in depth. so now i'm waiting until my dentist office opens to be, like, what the fuck?!

but, has anyone had experience with endodontist versus oral surgeon and ...i'm freaking out even more at the thought of something being implanted in me. but then, i've been taking increased meds so it's like, i'm screaming on the inside but relatively placid seeming (you know, i'm not a particularly "calm" person in general, so placid seeming for me) on the outside.

This seems odd to me. I had an implant done by an oral surgeon with iv sedation and I have also had oral sedation for other things like fillings. It strikes me as odd they won't do oral sedation at a any dental office (it's just a pill), I can understand the implant needs to be done by an oral surgeon (as that was how it was for me)  but sedation itself shouldn't be an issue. Who am I to know the ins and outs of these things though, just saying what strikes my mind as odd.

• Like 1

I think it has to do with how comfortable the doc is in assuming the liability of giving random people what is probably a benzo. Some are, there is one local doc that advertises that he does sedation for things like cleanings and fillings. Some apparently are not.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what kind of dentist I saw--endodontist?  Whatever he was, he had to remove bone around a broken off tooth so a crown could be possible. It made my skin crawl to hear about it even, and I can hardly stand to explain it now. They offered me nothing, just local. Oh, and said I could listen to my music. But surprisingly, I did OK anyway. I thought something calming would be common?  Maybe not so much. I suspect it depends on the dr. But mine sure wasn't offering anything. I hope it goes well. Mine went better than expected so I hope the same for you. 

• Like 1