How long do delusions need to last?

Content Warning: Paranoia, mentions of rape and sexual assault

Is there a minimum length for a delusion? I'm bipolar and in something I think is a mixed state right now, if that affects things. But this morning I was arriving on campus at my school (I'm a commuter student to a state college) and there are these big bushes between the sidewalk and the library entrance. So I went to go up to the library to work on my homework, and I had to walk behind the bushes. And the campus is empty because classes are currently going on and the 9:30 classes weren't due to end for another 45 minutes, and I swear I hear someone walking up behind me. Footsteps clear as day, like someone is trying to tiptoe and be quiet. I look behind me and nothing was there, but if someone was there they could have hopped to the other side of the bush. So I start panicking and becoming paranoid that someone is going to jump me and rape me in these bushes right in front of the library so I start running to the library doors, rush for the elevator, and go up to the third floor where I can plug my laptop in to work. I'm panting and spend about an hour once I sit down paranoid that someone is gonna tap me on the shoulder and drag me to the janitor's closet but I'm starting to come down from it and think that I was being ridiculous now.

Is it normal or possible for delusions to end that quickly? Any thoughts? I have a very limited experience with psychosis, so I'm not sure what's common or possible. And any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

the thoughts/frameworks i have that are considered delusional are not short-lived and have lasted several years. but sometimes bits of them are.

so, like, i have these devices and wires throughout my body. despite my being knowledgeable about the situation, i'm considered delusional for believing that. i don't want to debate it here...i'm just giving one example. but one time, i had this direction given to me indirectly by one of my voices that my phone was responsible for conducting messages. so i smashed the shit out of it. and for some reason i thought i should eat it so as to fully complete the destruction and it's power over me.

i ended up barricading myself out of the garage where the smashed phone was to prevent myself from eating it. because on some level, i knew that sounded fucked up. 

so, the underlying "delusion"...those are not fleeting for me...but little offshoots can be

i hope that helps. and i am glad you're feeling better now. 

They can last as long as it takes to stabilize, I'd imagine. I've been thinking people are out to kill/torture me for several months now. It comes in waves, sometimes I'll be fine, other times I'm bracing chairs against the doors. Sometimes I think the only way for me to avoid my fate is to do whatever is going to happen to me to myself so at least its on my terms. 

Everything I'm told are delusions I've had recurring throughout my life of this illness..I'd rather not go into details of what they are I'm kinda triggery these days..some new one has popped up pretty recently but I can't shake it and it's been months now..

Small update to this situation.

Something I've noticed about this particular bit of paranoia/fear/idk what exactly is that I only believe I'm actively in danger when I'm walking through that particular location and on campus. Like I'm at home right now and it can't find me whatever it is so I'm fine and not afraid. And I even calm down a bit once I'm on the library's third floor, where I often sit to do school work when I'm on campus and not in class, because I hide myself behind the shelves at one of the desks sitting out and I kind of calm down once I'm there for awhile and nothing happens to me. Because if it doesn't find me within an hour or so, it's not going to have another chance until I go back down. That's what I've worked out about whatever this is anyway?