THERAPY: Do you get alot out of it?

For me lately, it fits somewhere between going to the doctor, an Obgyn appointment, and having to get a filling at the dentist. Never enjoyable, usually boring or painful.  I’ve seen the same therapist 6 months and every time I leave her office, I feel worse. My mood drops and it triggers my negative rumination again. Even if the rest of my day was OK. Is this common?

I like her as a person, she is nice/empathic, comments a little bit.  Yet, the sessions are exactly the same every week:
I sit down, (PAUSE/silence), she then looks at me and says “well?” and then comes my redundant monologue about the events that week, how I feel (the same/depressed). We don’t practice any behaviors, or troubleshoot, she doesn’t give me new insight to myself and I haven’t made progress. I told her that I feel stuck & I’d like a bit of “homework” to do/more interactive problem-solving..but she says she doesn’t really do that.

I know, I should find a new therapist….problem is, I can’t. I live in a foreign country and very very few people speak English. I’ve had trial sessions with like 3 of the only English-speaking therapists around and I really didn’t connect. Maybe I should just phase her out and go at it alone? Tired of paying $$$ out of pocket just to simply talk about my week. I might as well start a blog or just journal. It’s not productive.

She does sound like not helpful and maybe a waste of time, based on your description. There are self help workbooks that might help, or maybe get one and talk to her about your work?  I've wasted time with therapists so I'm quick to say end it if it's not helpful at all. Self help isn't always the answer but sometimes it's a big help. 

• Like 1