Is this normal?

Can you feel joy on your meds?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Can you feel joy on your meds?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No

I've been on Abilify now for about 5 or 6 months and I've noticed something unfortunate while I've been taking it: My ability to have fun has disappeared. I can't feel joy for things anymore and hobbies don't seem to do anything for me. I know people who feel normal can usually have fun and enjoy hobbies, so why can't I? Is it the medication? Is it not working as it should? I feel like I'm flat out normal and not happy or sad anymore. But because I can't enjoy hobbies as I used to, something just doesn't feel right. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Anhedonia is the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable. It's called a negative symptom, whereas there are also positive symptoms like mania. It is seen across several disorders, like depression.The usual drugs that I hear about on the boards that seem to work are Abilify. Wellbutrin, and others. For me anhedonia is treated with both those meds but really Abilify made the bigger difference. I had to go to 10 and finally 15 mg to stamp it out.

I don't know if you have anhedonia but you sure describe it very well.

What happens if you take more Abilify, say 10 mgs ? Have you had any experiences with higher doses ?

I  was really suffering from anhedonia for many years ,even while taking a range of antidepressants.  My helpful psychiatrist would say "that's how it is when you're depressed " . It  wasn't until a  2 1/2  month stay at a  psychotherapeutic clinic  (I am fortunate enough to live  in Germany where such treatment is available even for not-wealthy people ) that I had the chance to really focus on me and I started exercising,changed my eating habits, worked on hobbies, socialized and had psychotherapy, body-awareness -the whole program - that I started to really experience joy again. This treatment should be available to ALL of us!

I also take Duloxetine, 90 mg.