CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
unknown diagnosis

What does your anxiety attack look like?

I just had a huge anxiety attack because of... reasons. Probably due to my social anxiety. And it happened in the comfort of my home. Who knew social anxiety could happen anywhere?

So what do your symptoms look like when your in the midst of an attack? Mine are:

-Heart palpitations

-Shaking and numb hands

-Mild chest pain after attack

-ALOT of sweat

My heart beats faster

My mind races with every single worst possible scenario 

I can't stop the horrible and uncontrollable worry

My blood pressure must be sky high

I feel dizzy

My stomach sometimes hurts or I feel like I'm going to be sick

Things feel and look surreal and not real at all

I'm sure there is more but I can't think of anything more right now

A full blown panic attack for me is:

Heart racing and pounding
Feeling nauseas
feeling sweaty but freezing at the same time/clammy hands
feeling like I need a toilet and I need a toilet NOW.
I feel like I'm in a different reality.
I usually forget to breathe properly and shallow breathe which compounds the issues
Racing thoughts and the feeling of needing to escape and go home (or go anywhere but where I am at the time)

For me an anxiety/panic attack either involves the false belief that I may be having a heart attack (yet I've always had enough sense not to do something really stupid like showing up at the ER for the 'heart attack'), or it's connected to OCD type phobias that involve fearing that I've consumed a deadly poisonous chemical or have said or done something extremely inappropriate.  They never really occur as a solitary phenomena.  It's just a racing heart type feeling, nausea, and extreme anxiety.  During the times that it's happened, I've generally appeared outwardly normal....... yet I avoid interacting with others as much as possible.  The other key part of it is that rationalizing it doesn't work.  Just as I rationally say that I'm actually not having a heart attack, I just end up going right back to thinking that I am.  Until maybe a ten minutes, a half hour, or maybe an hour or so goes by and I stop "feeling like" I'm having one and just go back to my ordinary self and forget about it as best I can.  It's probably only happened 5-10 times or so in total, but they really are a pain for sure.  

Edited by Steve223

to me I have anxiety attacks.. and then panic attacks. 2 separate. Anxiety attacks to me are the uncomfortable 'butterfly' feeling that goes from the pit of my stomach all the way down to my fingertips. I get that nervous feeling and feel shaky. I sweat. I poop.

Panic attacks: I am having a heart attack and can't breathe, my brain makes me feel like I'm going to either die or going to lose my SH**, feel sweaty and hot, heart palpitates, clammy hands, can't focus. Need to be alone, can't be around others.

• Like 1

Heart pounding loudly in my head, weird feeling in my chest, tightness in my chest, sometimes pain, but not always. Gasping for breath, muscles pulled tight, cold and hot sweat at same time, dizzy, need to lie down. Often a headache, but it doesn't start out as a migraine (any headache can become a migraine).

• Like 1

Heart beating to where I thought people in the room could see it through my shirt. I was trying to do the breathing to get it to slow down (another hope that no one is staring at me). I did not know my heart could pound like that in just a matter of moments when the meeting turned into a "let's go around the room and share ideas". GULP

can't breathe normally, shivering, tensing muscles uncontrollably, pounding heart, oversensitive to noise and light, twitchy, shaky hands, tightness in chest, and racing thoughts. i can't cry on effexor, but i feel like crying.

Increased heart rate, sweating, hyperventilating, legs get weak, nausea, uncontrolled sobbing, and sometimes lightheadedness. 

I feel a pit in my stomach. Worries flood my mind, my cheeks turn pink, I have a hard time breathing. Everything feels completely overwhelming. I feel the need to escape but have nowhere to go.

I have anxiety but haven't had a full blown panic attack in awhile.  My triggers are health related.  If for some reason something feels out of whack I think I'm going to die....I am 67 so it's always a possibility.

i sometimes get palpaitaions and I have to be careful of not focusing on how I'm breathing because then I can easily hyperventilate .

I take Xanax as needed but a small amount at least during the day .  Lately Ive been talking a sliver in the morning because lately Ive been having a feeling of just dread...like something bad will happen to em or something is wrong.

Ive taken Buspar in the past...about 10 years ago and it kind of worked.  It made me not care about anything though, kind of a zombie feeling so I quit.

No side effects though..

• Like 1

Heart racing, Shortness of breath, tingling extremities, feeling of doom, stomach ache, racing thoughts, tears, collapse.

A feeling of whole body and mind sickness

Something is wrong

Heart racing

Short of breath

Exhaustion

Frazzled nerves

Overanalyzing every. Little. Thing.

Every activity (even eating) causes stress because I have to think about, execute it, and clean up afterward. That takes immense energy

My body moves automatically, but my mind is elsewhere

Edited by deeschmee

My anxiety isn’t acute, like an actual attack. It comes on when I’m depressed and lasts weeks. I worry about everything... deeply, profoundly, and it worsens my depression. I feel a primal fear and dread of the future. And I feel like someone is sitting on my chest.

I haven't gotten a full blown anxiety attack in a long time, as a child I got to the ER several times for that reason... not anymore. At the moment, I only get "beginnings of an attack": hear pounding, dizziness, hands tingling, erratic breathing, hot/cold flashes, but if I take the right steps, it fades before becoming too scary.

Edited by inabook

On 8/10/2018 at 7:50 PM, inabook said:

I haven't gotten a full blown anxiety attack in a long time, as a child I got to the ER several times for that reason... not anymore. At the moment, I only get "beginnings of an attack": hear pounding, dizziness, hands tingling, erratic breathing, hot/cold flashes, but if I take the right steps, it fades before becoming too scary.

@inabook, would you mind letting us know what your steps are to lower your anxiety level?  Is it breathing exercises, distraction, etc?  I personally use a combo of the two (and meds for me help immensely), but would love any other ideas.  Thanks!

Mine always start with an odd dizzy feeling and this feeling like I can't quite think or connect thoughts and that's usually when it happens.

I can maintain pretty well in panic attacks.

I've sat through lectures going through them and also been around friends where nobody notices, I've been having them off and on for 20 years or so.

I get the feeling that you get when someone puts a sedative In your IV- complete with the warm fuzzy feeling and the tunnel vision. This is especially great when driving because although I know I am not tired, the feeling terrifies me that I will instantly fall asleep as if I just got some propofol. It's lead to dozens of trips of sheer terror driving on the highway