need some info on insomnia

hi  iv  been  on trazodone  and  sequel  well  now  im  on quetiapine 300  mg for 8  years cant  sleep  any  more   iv  been  suicidal up  for   5  days   sometimes  without  it  it  does  not  work  any more  and  im  a  heavy drinker  too  and  smoke  cigs i  need  something  more  powerful  that  does  not  effect  my  liver and  im  bi  polar  too i  have  a  fatty  liver  i  need  some  help some  advice im  tired  of  only   going  to  bed when my  body  is  on  its last  breath and  waking  up every 30  mins getting  only 4  or  5  hours  of  sleep  some  times i  sweat alot  to  when  i  sleep and  have  racing  thoughts please  somebody get  back  to  me i  don't  know  how  much  longer i  can handle  this   oh  and  also  i  have throat  and  nasal  problems  so i  have   to rinse  out  my  nose   like 20  times  a  day life  really  sucks  it  does  doctor  is  not  helping

On 9/10/2017 at 10:48 PM, slayerjacy said:

hi  iv  been  on trazodone  and  sequel  well  now  im  on quetiapine 300  mg for 8  years cant  sleep  any  more   iv  been  suicidal up  for   5  days   sometimes  without  it  it  does  not  work  any more  and  im  a  heavy drinker  too  and  smoke  cigs i  need  something  more  powerful  that  does  not  effect  my  liver and  im  bi  polar  too i  have  a  fatty  liver  i  need  some  help some  advice im  tired  of  only   going  to  bed when my  body  is  on  its last  breath and  waking  up every 30  mins getting  only 4  or  5  hours  of  sleep  some  times i  sweat alot  to  when  i  sleep and  have  racing  thoughts please  somebody get  back  to  me i  don't  know  how  much  longer i  can handle  this   oh  and  also  i  have throat  and  nasal  problems  so i  have   to rinse  out  my  nose   like 20  times  a  day life  really  sucks  it  does  doctor  is  not  helping

@Iceberg is right, heavy drinking really limits what medications that you can take. Out of curiosity, are you taking 300mg of extended release or immediate release quetiapine? And do you take it all at night? Or some in the morning and some at night? You may find that switching between the IR and XR formulations of quetiapine can have a big impact on sleep. Talk to your doctor about it. Another option is to take part of your dose as extended release and part of it as immediate release. Quetiapine is weird in that it's sedating at doses up to between 100-150mg but by 200mg+ it can start to be stimulating because of its effect on norepinephrine. You could talk to your doctor about taking 100mg immediate release at night about an hour before you go to sleep and take 200mg of extended release in the morning or just take the 100mg IR with the 200mg XR all at night. There's a lot of flexibility with quetiapine.

However, you're saying that you're suicidal, your sleep and your suicidal feelings should both be treated as primary here. Many times getting your sleep in line is enough to get your mood to fall in line right behind it without much more work. Keep in mind that you may need to switch medications too. That's always a possibility if you've been on quetiapine for 8 years and it might not be working for you anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

i  take all  of  them  at  night time like 1  hour  before  bedtime  and  i  don't  know if  its  xr or ir all  it  says  is quetiapine fumarate 300 mg substituted for seroquel i shall  ask  my  doctor about  that  thanks  it  used  to  work  so  good i  would  take  it and  just  fall  to sleep but  now  it  just  sucks   i  will  ask my  doctor  about Rozerem  too when  i  get  a  chance i  don't  go in to  see  him  tell October 25  though  so  ill tell  you  guys  how  it  went