CrazyBoards.org

Oxicodone

Tomorrow I have to get my achilles tendon, which totally ruptured, sewn back up. The

doc said that the pain will not be that bad.

But wtf is oxicodone?

Heya BOYD,

Haven't taken it myself; our other friends will have to answer *that.*

But, here's my nutshell:

Oxycodone is a semi-synthetic derivative of morphine.  So, it's in the same general family as morphine (narcotics) and has similar s/e, like sedation, constipation, bla.  Might knock you out/snow you.

Oxycodone is a *very good* painkiller, and you will only be on it a short time.

We use it a *lot* for people with pain.

Oxycodone has a bad name.  In the States I've heard it called "hillbilly heroin."  Unfortunately, a perfectly good painkiller is used by a lot of people who don't have pain.

These people take it as a drug of abuse.  Which makes it *really hard* on people like you who take it for pain.

Because some docs (ok, lots of us, not me though) are scared off of Rxing it due to the reputation it carries.

So, you'll likely hear through the media etc. lots of bad things.  But don't let that get to you.  When taken *appropriately* for pain, it's *safe and effective.*

A word of caution:  Good idea to *not* tell anyone IRL (except DW and others you trust, of course) about the oxy.  People have been known to hang around outside doctors' offices and pharmacies (even methadone clinics) to take Rxs away from the real patients.

Trivia:  In TO, CAMH (the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health) tried to do a study of a new med for heroin addicts.  They couldn't *find* enough heroin addicts.  B/c they all switched to stolen/fraudulently obtained/bought on the street Rx drugs.

At any rate.

Take the medication if you need it for pain, and ignore the bad press.

And -- good luck with the surgery!!  Hope it (and rehab) goes well!

--ncc--

IIRC the major danger of it is if you break it and negate the time release.

Ask your doc if it's ok to break them if you need to, cause I'm not too sure about that.

But yeah, like ncc1701 said, keep it a bit hush. People have also been known to break into houses or rob people at home for them. :/

I took oxycodone for one month for my migraines.  It worked really well but my docs were reluctant to re-prescribe for future use (so why give it to me in the first place??).  I'm now on Vicoprofen (hydrocodone/ibrupofen)

It is true, you will be on it very shortly.  It is known for very high abuse rate.  Because it is pure oxycodone, it can be crushed and used inappropriately.  Unlike Percocet and Vicoprofen which are mixed with additional painkillers.

I was given this lecture by my neuro about the abuse and the DEA right after he told me I couldn't take it any more unless I went to a Pain Managment doc.

Oh well...

Good luck with your surgery.

Isn't there a difference between oxycotin and oxycodone? I thought oxycotin was the one that addicts crushed, and could prove fatal, and that oxycodon was not as strong. I might be wrong. Just wondering.

Boyd, good luck with your procedure.

Sylvia

Isn't there a difference between oxycotin and oxycodone? I thought oxycotin was the one that addicts crushed, and could prove fatal, and that oxycodon was not as strong. I might be wrong. Just wondering.

Boyd, good luck with your procedure.

Sylvia

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OxyContin is a trademarked brand name, I think.

While oxycodone (Actually oxycodone HCL) is the actual ingredient that makes it work.

Boyd: my husband has ruptured both achilles tendons---one was surgically repaired, the other casted. His surgically repaired one was by far the easiest to recover from.

The intense pain will last only a few days. Then you'll need only advil. Plus, the oxy will bind you up like nobody's business, so you won't want to take too much.

good luck,

dianebea

Heya BOYD,

Great!  Glad it went well and you're not too snowed by the Oxy.

Yah, so many of us (especially surgeons, especially in the States) are paranoid about lawsuits.  With good reason, when you think about it, but it *is* really annoying.  On both sides, trust me.

Heehee.  That sounded too much like, "Trust me, I'm a doctor.  This won't hurt a bit."  ;)

And, now I'm hungry too.

Hope the rehab goes as well as the surgery!

--ncc--

You're a snowboarder.  You're used to pain.  :ninja:

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AND...you've been married to the Ice Goddess for 25 years, talk about pain???  ;)

:)

Looking over shoulder, for very buff, very beautiful blonde who could kick my fat ass...

Enjoy the buzz while ya got it, ya whiner! You won't be able to windsurf if yer all wasted and out on the streets lookin' to cop...you'll get over the jones, we all do...we'll be here for you when it's time to sober up. In the meantime, put on some country rock, kick back in the easy chair and relax!  :P

Your tormenter, S9

Threadjack..

S9

Just seeing you had posted made me smirk.

S.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is my duty to torment Boyd whenever the opportunity arises. We have an understanding this way, right Boyd? Oh, he can't hear me, he's all high and listening to Graham Parsons and Emmilou Harris... ;)

Boyd:  Hey, if you can avoid taking anything that strong, do it.  Using Oxycodone fucked up my brain chemistry.  I was on it for 5 months.  I had a spinal fusion done and i don't need it anymore.  I felt great taking it, I was happy, even with severe pain.  Now I have no pain except for the constant depression.  If you do take it be ware!

Guest FrannyNZooey

Heya BOYD,

Couple days later --

Get better shortly.

Hillbilly rapid detox sucks.

--ncc--

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for checking back in. Yep, but it took until Friday to clear out. That stuff is nasty.

Oh very nasty.

The post pain in zero.

GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  XBOX360 is hooked uop and running PGR#3. WOW.

I have to fig how to get online. But oh it is just the cream on this plasma 43er.

DUSTYROAD is my tag. Later  Boyd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Boyd Have fun with xbox I got same kind in hope of son Zack stopping by, left messages got one, yes tried the bribe stuff in beginning.

Was going to hook it up on line never did, glad didn't since think hubby would maybe just maybe have it on plasma and being playing it, for now just back in room we have set up as guest room TV, he does wander back there from time to time to play games.

Zack had left me know in nasty reply at that time he doesn't need to come be with me for such his Dad had already gotten for him.

I was thinking ok so not the point, I just was wanting to let you know how much you and Franny are both so missed and at that time, really just till recent, they both had bedrooms I bought for as if I really had this family thing.

Yes let's all say living in total denial, well reality is hitting me now.

One room is guest room, other my yoga/meditation room, hell don't sew do crafts so guess would make japanese sand garden tranquility room and go in and rake. That sounds fun do have space in that room humm

No more kiddie bedrooms!!!

Take care and have fun!

Aly

Archived