CrazyBoards.org

Resentful over salary issues

I've always been weak in math and science and strong in areas like English and psychology.  I'm planning to go back to school for social work, the only career that has ever felt like a "calling" to me.  But I get so frustrated and worried about entering the field because the salaries are LOW.  I get angry because the areas that I have skills in aren't valued by society. 

I guess this isn't a major issue, but it's just so frustrating.  I grew up poor and feel like I'm going to be poor for the rest of my life.  I wish I had the attributes to be a lawyer or an engineer, but those careers aren't right for me.  Let's face it...salary is important as a measure of worth in the US. 

It's true that society values certain careers over others. 

But that doesn't have to be your value. 

Frankly I think it is bullshit teachers make as little as they do, and professional football players aren't "worth" their salary....it's all really up to one's subjective opinion of what is important in life.

I'd go out on a limb to say that some of those lawyers and engineers are not happy with their job, and in fact probably don't like their work at all...

It seems as though one ought to follow their hearts in occupation and try and not worry what other people think.  because really you might as well spend your time on this planet doing something you enjoy.

easier said than done though...

My tdoc is the most wonderful woman ever (except my mom, awww) and I'm sure she makes no money. Her measure of self-worth is probably coming from inside, and also from all the people like us she know she is helping to live better lives.

Go for it! You know where you belong and where your strengths/gifts are. They do say that many MI go into social work because we understand it and how valuable it is. We've been on the other side of the table.

Go get'em. And tell me when you're licensed, because you'll be my new tdoc ;)

loon

Having something that you feel "called" to do puts you ahead, in my opinion.  At least it is a field where there are jobs and where there will continue to be jobs.  Who knows, it might lead to something else later.

In my case, I've never felt "called" to any particular job and am just settling for something I can tolerate which hopfully will pay enough for me to make it.  It does bother me too, though, that most of the stuff I really value and enjoy doing isn't valued that much by society or the marketplace.  I've had to relegate those things to hobbies, at least for now.

Let me throw another idea out here. Of course I agree that no one should do a job s/he hates just for the big bucks, no one wants to be spiritually bankrupt, etc. etc.

But there is another way around it, I think. There are a lot of people in my company with advanced degrees in science--this makes them good candidates for research or teaching, which don't pay well. They took their science backgrounds, some got MBA's, and they all went into the business world. There are loads of HR folks with social service and psychology backgrounds. If you are willing to take what you love and use it in a company context, there are high-paying jobs out there. Often, you can create a niche for yourself, if you can parlay your talents into what the company needs.

If you want to be a social worker in the traditional sense, then of course that's just what you should be. I agree, people that do that valuable job should get paid more than whiny sports players who swing a bat and shill for beer companies.

But if you want to try to do both--the social work, and make more money, maybe consider how your talents would work in the business world.

Just a thought.

lily

I was once considering the SW field and even took it as my major. In the meantime I moved and changed majors and still do not have a degree. But one day hopefully I will. I can always wheel across, right?

One thing I have noticed here in Michigan is that unless you want to help people fill out papers for food stamps, which in itself is not a bad thing, you have to get a Masters degree. Especially if you want to eat. You will have so many more opportunities then.

Talk to a therapist, talk to a college counselor. They will help you greatly. My therapist had a degree in music before she decided to become a therapist. And no she doesn't sing to me!

Archived