Hi all. I hope you can help me or give me some advice.

I quit klonopin and gabapentin (first tapered one and then the other) and since then nothing but constant panic attacks anxiety and no appetite. The reason I stopped these was because I could not eat anything and I wasn't sure which med was the culprit. I recently read that gabapentin can cause loss of appetite and figure this med is the problem. I tapered from 1500mg/day to 600mg. I took 600mg last night and my doc told me I could go ahead and take 300mg tonight and be done with it. He told me that I should take each lowered dose for 3 days until I was down to 600mg. I have one day left and then within 40 hours it should be out of my system.

I've been on gabapentin a few months starting with 600mg and going up slowly but ever since starting I have had trouble eating. I thought it was my anxiety but now I'm not sure.

My current meds are only Effexor and ativan prn. I've tapered everything that wasn't having any significant effect. I know for sure that Effexor works for my depression. I've been on it for probably 15 years and I doubt it's causing my appetite issues.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I was afraid of that. I did tell my doctor. I've been telling him over and over again but I wasn't sure myself.

I stopped all the meds that were introduced around the time this started but my appetite has not improved.

There's not many medical tests I can endure with my severe anxiety and agoraphobia that's why I was hoping it was the meds or anxiety.

Could you tolerate a blood draw ?  That is likely all they need to run the usual suspects for loss of appetite. I always premedicate with a benzo when doing blood draws. It makes the 2 draws every 3 months I have to get a smoother experience. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the Ativan does control the anxiety but not as well. I convinced my gp to let me take 2mg a day of ativan instead of what he suggested which was klonopin. I stopped the klonopin and it was a pain so I don't wanna go back since I felt depressed on it and a lack of appetite is a side effect.

I stopped gabapentin as well since I noticed no difference while on it. I was up to 1800mg for months and nothing.

I may be able to tolerate a blood draw. I should probably do that.

It's weird. I feel like I did years ago when I had my first nervous breakdown. Constant panic--more like terror attacks--just can't seem to calm down at all. Can't eat, can't sleep, can't be around people, crying; etc.

Thanks for all your replies. I just now saw the responses. I've been out of it for the past couple of weeks. Doc put me on 2mg ativan temporarily until I can see my pdoc. 

On 10/30/2017 at 9:15 PM, SJKnight said:

Yes, the Ativan does control the anxiety but not as well. I convinced my gp to let me take 2mg a day of ativan instead of what he suggested which was klonopin. I stopped the klonopin and it was a pain so I don't wanna go back since I felt depressed on it and a lack of appetite is a side effect.

I stopped gabapentin as well since I noticed no difference while on it. I was up to 1800mg for months and nothing.

I may be able to tolerate a blood draw. I should probably do that.

It's weird. I feel like I did years ago when I had my first nervous breakdown. Constant panic--more like terror attacks--just can't seem to calm down at all. Can't eat, can't sleep, can't be around people, crying; etc.

Thanks for all your replies. I just now saw the responses. I've been out of it for the past couple of weeks. Doc put me on 2mg ativan temporarily until I can see my pdoc. 

Hi, I'm also taking Effexor and Ativan PRN...

I've been having similar issues...do you have SAD Knight?

This seems to happen to me at this time of year every year, even on meds.  I'll lose my appetite, have trouble sleeping, and just go back into a low mood with anxiety/depression...Then when Spring/Summer come around I come out of it again...

Edited by BrianOCD