CrazyBoards.org

Hi all. I hope you can help me or give me some advice.

I quit klonopin and gabapentin (first tapered one and then the other) and since then nothing but constant panic attacks anxiety and no appetite. The reason I stopped these was because I could not eat anything and I wasn't sure which med was the culprit. I recently read that gabapentin can cause loss of appetite and figure this med is the problem. I tapered from 1500mg/day to 600mg. I took 600mg last night and my doc told me I could go ahead and take 300mg tonight and be done with it. He told me that I should take each lowered dose for 3 days until I was down to 600mg. I have one day left and then within 40 hours it should be out of my system.

I've been on gabapentin a few months starting with 600mg and going up slowly but ever since starting I have had trouble eating. I thought it was my anxiety but now I'm not sure.

My current meds are only Effexor and ativan prn. I've tapered everything that wasn't having any significant effect. I know for sure that Effexor works for my depression. I've been on it for probably 15 years and I doubt it's causing my appetite issues.

Thank you.

Have you been checked out by a doc, self diagnosis is not effective. What if it is not the meds but a symptom of a serious illness, as loss of appetite often is.

I was afraid of that. I did tell my doctor. I've been telling him over and over again but I wasn't sure myself.

I stopped all the meds that were introduced around the time this started but my appetite has not improved.

There's not many medical tests I can endure with my severe anxiety and agoraphobia that's why I was hoping it was the meds or anxiety.

Could you tolerate a blood draw ?  That is likely all they need to run the usual suspects for loss of appetite. I always premedicate with a benzo when doing blood draws. It makes the 2 draws every 3 months I have to get a smoother experience. 

• Like 1

Its the Gabapentin. Gabapentin is an NK1 receptor antagonist.  Different emetic pathways exist but NK1 appears to be within the final common pathway to regulate vomiting-it effects the stomach.

• Like 1

Yes, the Ativan does control the anxiety but not as well. I convinced my gp to let me take 2mg a day of ativan instead of what he suggested which was klonopin. I stopped the klonopin and it was a pain so I don't wanna go back since I felt depressed on it and a lack of appetite is a side effect.

I stopped gabapentin as well since I noticed no difference while on it. I was up to 1800mg for months and nothing.

I may be able to tolerate a blood draw. I should probably do that.

It's weird. I feel like I did years ago when I had my first nervous breakdown. Constant panic--more like terror attacks--just can't seem to calm down at all. Can't eat, can't sleep, can't be around people, crying; etc.

Thanks for all your replies. I just now saw the responses. I've been out of it for the past couple of weeks. Doc put me on 2mg ativan temporarily until I can see my pdoc. 

On 10/30/2017 at 9:15 PM, SJKnight said:

Yes, the Ativan does control the anxiety but not as well. I convinced my gp to let me take 2mg a day of ativan instead of what he suggested which was klonopin. I stopped the klonopin and it was a pain so I don't wanna go back since I felt depressed on it and a lack of appetite is a side effect.

I stopped gabapentin as well since I noticed no difference while on it. I was up to 1800mg for months and nothing.

I may be able to tolerate a blood draw. I should probably do that.

It's weird. I feel like I did years ago when I had my first nervous breakdown. Constant panic--more like terror attacks--just can't seem to calm down at all. Can't eat, can't sleep, can't be around people, crying; etc.

Thanks for all your replies. I just now saw the responses. I've been out of it for the past couple of weeks. Doc put me on 2mg ativan temporarily until I can see my pdoc. 

Hi, I'm also taking Effexor and Ativan PRN...

I've been having similar issues...do you have SAD Knight?

This seems to happen to me at this time of year every year, even on meds.  I'll lose my appetite, have trouble sleeping, and just go back into a low mood with anxiety/depression...Then when Spring/Summer come around I come out of it again...

Edited by BrianOCD

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Equilibrium022x
      Weird, like reading here and other forums, they say it is almost like a magic pill, that they put into sleep instantly, some others say it has the potential of distorted perspective like on DXM but in a relaxing way. I just started last week and i barely see benefits from it. The first night with one 10 mg, a little excited for how would be the effects on me, but 20 minutes later and nothing, then half an hour nothing, soy i eat another 10 mg, so a total of 20, i just felt very mild effects like i've taken valerian or some other herb but i slept, not immediatly but i did. This night i abused, i have to confess i was desperate but never again, so i took one and snorted another one at the same time and again like sugar pill, then ate another one and the 4th one sublingual, so a total of 40 mg, it's a strong dose, and here i am...6:33 in the morning and zero sleep, i had to take 2 mg of clonazepam but i decided better not to sleep, that clona really helps me always, but i prefered not to sleep and start my day, i dont wanna mess with my schedule and drink my coffee, going later to walk, clean the house or read something. Btw today i have the appointment with my psychiatrist and tell him my situation, either prescribe me something else like amitriptyline or stay with my quetiapine and clonazepam, just wanted to augment that combo, but let's see....
    • By Blart752
      I've had sleep troubles while on zyprexa, is that because it isn't indicated for people with concomitant insomnia??  I wouldn't sleep on it, or i would sleep for like 10-12 hours.  
      Because of that and because my current regimen isn't working as much is there any way to take it PRN low dose if i talk to the doctor about it?  Because I can take it like once or twice and it doesn't affect my sleep.
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been bouncing from one trial of medication to another for the past 4 1/2 years with adverse reactions. Nothing has helped. I just saw a new psychiatrist on Monday. An older gentleman who actually seemed to listen. He was also a longtime professor our local university. 
      My symptoms are treatment resistant insomnia, chronic, severe anxiety, chronic derealization, ocd (pure o) racing, intrusive thoughts (often presenting as songs looping in my head, but a switch can also go off in my head where I obsessively think about something to the point of it driving me crazy)  brain fog, depression. My body and brown simply will not turn off. I’m stuck in constant fight/flight.  I believe the lack of sleep is the catalyst for most of this (all of this started after sudden onset of insomnia) Maybe it wouldn’t go away with sleep, but I know it would get better. My main goal is sleep, but seems unattainable after 4 1/2 years.
      I have tried every medication under the sun (well, mostly) 
      The doctor decided to prescribe provigil (modafinil) which seems counterintuitive to me. He was clear that it could go either way. Possible that it could calm me down, possible that it could let me up and make my symptoms worse. 
      Luckily for me, since I am highly sensitive to medication, he is quite conservative  and said to only start with roughly 1/16 of a pill to see how I do. 
      Wondering what your thoughts are on this given my symptoms? Seems counterintuitive...but maybe it will help. So confused. 
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been dealing with unbearable symptoms for over 4 years. Insomnia, racing thoughts (OCD), derealization, irritability, brain fog and depression. 
      I have tried so many medications, but none help. My insomnia and anxiety are through the roof and I have 24/7 derealization. Years ago, 2007, when I was struggling with depression, my psych talked about starting an MAOI, but we instead we added geodon to Zoloft and it worked (for awhile) 
      Long  story short, I developed sudden onset ruminating thoughts (in form of OCD), insomnia and Anxiety  in 2009. After many trials of meds (I’m adverse and paradoxical to most) I finally was put on remeron which got me sleeping again and in turn helped my other symptoms. 
      From 2010-October 2014 I did relatively well, that is until remeron stopped working and all my symptoms came back. 
      Since I have been inpatient several times trying every sleeping med , bipolar med, SSRI etc with no relief. 
      Mom wondering if an MAOI could help me? Can MAOI’s treat anxiety? Racy brain? I’ve read they can make insomnia worse, which I don’t need. 
      Symptoms: severe insomnia, lucid dreams/nightmares, 24/7 derealization, severe anxiety and panic, major depression, brain fog, dizziness, migraines. 
      I believe, like in 2009-2010, many of my symptoms are from sleep deprivation. I am very desperate to get control over my anxiety and sleep. I’m at the end of my rope. 
      Could an MAOI help me as a last ditch effort to get some kind of quality of life back? 
      Current meds: weaning off Zoloft, weaning off remeron, geodon 20 mg X2, Ativan 5 mg per day (please don’t jump down my throat about this, it will give me a panic attack. I know it’s a high dose and I need to taper this too), prazosin 2 mg. 
      TIA